Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's stopping you from trading next year's first round pick?

ThePreciating

Well, no one wants to trade our first rounder next year. Fine.

Who are the top players on your radar for the 2008 Draft, assuming we have a top ten pick? I say assume we have a top ten pick because we could trade into any slot late or midway in the first round.

Fill in the blank: The reason I don't want to give up next year's first rounder is because CJ's impact will be less beneficial than drafting [insert 2007 redskins first round pick here] this year and [insert 2008 redskins first round pick here] next year.

For Example

2007: Amobi Okoye, DT, Lou

2008: Darren McFadden, RB, Ark

By the way, I disagree. I think CJ would be far more beneficial.

not that we need one, but next year is going to be the greatest RB draft of all time with Slaton, Rice and McFadden

So next years draft will be full of RB top talents, then that means we will be in the same boat as of right now sort of. We dont need a RB and if (BIG IF) we have a top 10 pick again then we will have to trade down or trade up anyway depending on what other positions are up there in the top 10 with the class of RB's. So lets hope we don't have a top 20 pick next year at least we won't miss our 1st rounder next year near as much. It will be the equivalant of an early 2nd rounder.

:point2sky

Funny thing is it appears Snyder's stopping us from trading next year's first :). That King article was pretty funny as he mentioned the same thing about trading next year's one for Johnson and he went to Snyder who said NOOOOOOOO. It would not at all surprise me if in years we discover Gibbs wanted very much to trade that pick and Snyder simply said, "Look, Joe, no offense, but you have to give this one to me and not do it."

I admit to be seduced by the Johnson prospects and possibilities. I understand the merits of something like that. There are prospects that come along once in a generation. Johnson is that for his position. Anyone could bust, but, if he is what he looks like he has the ability to be, that one player changes everything about the team he plays on. For that team, the offense immediately gets more efficient, controlling and dangerous with points. For that team the defense gets to play with advantages and somewhat with abandon knowing other teams have to try things to keep pace.

Moss and Rice are receivers who were so good as to change everything about the teams they played for. Moss' teams never had quite enough to win it all. If Johnson is one of them, look out. Whoever gets him will be a pretty good team for a while.

Funny thing is it appears Snyder's stopping us from trading next year's first :). That King article was pretty funny as he mentioned the same thing about trading next year's one for Johnson and he went to Snyder who said NOOOOOOOO. It would not at all surprise me if in years we discover Gibbs wanted very much to trade that pick and Snyder simply said, "Look, Joe, no offense, but you have to give this one to me and not do it."

I admit to be seduced by the Johnson prospects and possibilities. I understand the merits of something like that. There are prospects that come along once in a generation. Johnson is that for his position. Anyone could bust, but, if he is what he looks like he has the ability to be, that one player changes everything about the team he plays on. For that team, the offense immediately gets more efficient, controlling and dangerous with points. For that team the defense gets to play with advantages and somewhat with abandon knowing other teams have to try things to keep pace.

Moss and Rice are receivers who were so good as to change everything about the teams they played for. Moss' teams never had quite enough to win it all. If Johnson is one of them, look out. Whoever gets him will be a pretty good team for a while.

How true it is. I just hope we end up with him somehow. Without giving up an absurd amount.

He could take so much pressure off of our Moss that our offense could once again break the record for most points scored in a single season. (Just Hoping we would)

Art, you're my most favoritest moderator ever. Nice fact-filled analysis with no indicator of your opinions. They should call your posts the No-Spin Zone. Eat that, O'Reilly.

Instead of gambling, we are going to work for our success. Building through the draft is something we just have to start doing...whether it ends up being greatly beneficial or not, we will know we approached it the right way. And giving up a first rounder to move up 4 spots is not the way you do it.

Saunders is a tight end/running back type of guy anyway.

Well, no one wants to trade our first rounder next year. Fine.

Who are the top players on your radar for the 2008 Draft, assuming we have a top ten pick? I say assume we have a top ten pick because we could trade into any slot late or midway in the first round.

I think if the Skins have a Top 10 pick next year there will be many more problems to fix before focusing on who to pick in the draft...

Since 2000, Arizona has had AT LEAST a full draft every year.

Since 1999, Cleveland has had AT LEAST a full draft every year but one (one pick short).

Since 2002, Houston has had AT LEAST a full draft every year but one (one pick short as well).

Since 2000, San Francisco has had AT LEAST a full draft every year.

I could keep going, but I think the point is proven. It's not about WHERE you get a player, it's about what player you get! That being said, we have made bad decisions in free agency, but guess what, plenty of teams have made bad decisions in the draft.

CJ will be a beast. He is a Randy Moss type player in TO's body with Harrison's personality. That is a complete player by today's NFL standards. However, I don't want to mortgage the farm to pick up CJ. I'd rather trade down and pick up a D-lineman in the first and acquire an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I could keep going, but I think the point is proven. It's not about WHERE you get a player, it's about what player you get! That being said, we have made bad decisions in free agency, but guess what, plenty of teams have made bad decisions in the draft.

I wholeheartedly agree with this one . . . Now, we just have to hope that our scouting department and FO have the ability to find those diamonds in the rough . . . The thing with Calvin is that anybody can see this kid is the real deal . . . hands down, he is arguably the best wide receiver prospect the league has seen in years. RIGHT NOW, he is better than most of the wideouts in the league . . . and his upside is just ridiculous. IF we were to trade the 2008 1st rounder to move up . . . it may not be that bad. Let's assume we are to do that, and finish the season pretty well. We then would be losing a pick somewhere between 20 - 32. That isn't all that bad considering we would still have rounds 2 - 7.

2007: Okoye

2008: Calais Campbell/DE/Miami: this guy is a monster of a man and will be the most dominant defensive lineman in the ACC and maybe the country next year. He's '6"8 258 as of the end of last season, and he came to Miami as a tight end and was converted because of Olsen being at Miami and he had a big time growth spurt. I don't know his 40 time but if he was a tight end I'm going to gander it's sub 4.8.

We'd be set at DL for a long time.

Its probably too hard to tell at this point. Just think about last year, we were all pumped about the combo of Taylor and AA at safety, so who would have ever thought we'd be lookin' for safeties in 2007? And defense used to be our strong point until last season.

We shall see though! I hope our offense really gels this year and hopefully our defense steps up to at least be somewhere between mediocre and solid.

2007: Okoye

2008: Calais Campbell/DE/Miami: this guy is a monster of a man and will be the most dominant defensive lineman in the ACC and maybe the country next year. He's '6"8 258 as of the end of last season, and he came to Miami as a tight end and was converted because of Olsen being at Miami and he had a big time growth spurt. I don't know his 40 time but if he was a tight end I'm going to gander it's sub 4.8.

We'd be set at DL for a long time.

While I agree Campbell can be a monster . . . he still is inconsistent. AND, let's say that he does have a monster year next year. He will surely then be a top 15 pick. AND, to get that top 15 pick, we would be now assuming that we'll have a bad year next year . . . and that's an assumption I am not ready to make.

The reason I don't want to give up next year's first rounder is because I am tierd of giving away all our draft picks. It's a shame that some fans still do not understand that superbowl champions are made from drafting wisely and using free agency wisely. Both things the Redskins have done very poorly over the years and are the two main reasons they are picking 6th. Why not, for a change of pace have a full draft and see if we can aquire some talent rather than jumping on the "next best thing", or the "thing that never was". I hate the attitude around here. People see "flash" and instantly think greatness. Is there a reason why we are the ONLY team that seems to sell the farm for a player no one else thinks is that good? Other teams love CJ, but that doesn't mean that would stunt the growth of their franchise to get him. For the Skins to get him in the draft, they would be doning just that, as if it hasn't been done before. :doh: On top of that, the Redskins need help desperately on defense. Again, fans don't understand that DEFENSE wins Championships. And before you say, look at Indy, I am. They couldn't win a SB without the level of play that came from their defense when it counted. Our offense is fine, not great, but good enough. Our defense is horrible, not fair, but needing a serious facelift! :2cents:

All I know is this, the only way Calvin Johnson becomes a bust is if the Lions end up drafting him. If the Lions draft him and then trade him he will be twice as good as he would have been. The only way I see us screwing this draft up is by getting Briggs in the draft trade we discussed. Okoye, Landry, or Johnson would be fine by me.

Weren't we supposed to be changing the way we approach player acquisitions? Doesn't that mean that we cannot trade away regardless of what's being thrown out there? We can't trade away any more no matter what the carrot looks like. It's the price we are now paying.

I just feel vets are too expensive in free agency and you can get rookies to fit under the cap with greater ease. Aside from bonus money paid up front rookie contracts are very very affordable. I mean we got ST for $18 million for 7 years. Try getting an ST in free agency at the value of his current contract.....:paranoid: ....not going to happen. (btw, I really really really hope we can resign him the future and make him a Redskin for life) If you scout well, you can fill needs at bargain prices. We should have never drafted Rod Gardner over Santana Moss but hindsight is 20/20 in that case.

Correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm sure you will :) ), but aren't you the one always saying that Gibbs has the final say in player decisions? Now, you're saying you wouldn't be surprised if Snyder has the final word? Does this mean you don't really believe it when you say Gibbs has the final word (because obviously it wouldn't surprise you if Snyder did)?

Correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm sure you will :) ), but aren't you the one always saying that Gibbs has the final say in player decisions? Now, you're saying you wouldn't be surprised if Snyder has the final word? Does this mean you don't really believe it when you say Gibbs has the final word (because obviously it wouldn't surprise you if Snyder did)?

How about reading what I said and explaining why you had such a hard time with it? What paraphrase of Snyder begging Gibbs not to trade the pick did I chose to use, and why do you think I did. No, I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder, after last offseason's failures, requests that Gibbs think about dialing it back this year. And I wouldn't be surprised if he even said please :).

And, no, it's not me saying Gibbs has the final say in player decisions. It's Gibbs, Snyder, Cerrato, every scout I've spoken to, all the coaches I've talked to and everyone who works for the organization. I'm just repeating the facts of nature.

And remember, of ALL the people in the world you ever talk to, I'm the only one who's ever talked to ANY of the people you talk about. You can probably trust that.

Art, you're my most favoritest moderator ever. Nice fact-filled analysis with no indicator of your opinions. They should call your posts the No-Spin Zone. Eat that, O'Reilly.

Just got a PM from Art, he really wants Johnson as well. In fact, he's so "seduced" by him, I'm changing my settings so he can never message me again.

You should really get some religion in your life Art.:cool:

Archived