Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: NFL notes: Goodell says Super Bowl may head overseas

bubba9497

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-04-26-notebook_N.htm

NFL notes: Goodell says Super Bowl may head overseas

NEW YORK — Commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday the league is looking into the possibility of playing a Super Bowl outside the United States, although not before 2012 at the earliest.

It was among a range of proposals he announced the league is considering during a meeting with sports editors two days before the league's annual draft.

Goodell said the three most likely international sites for a Super Bowl would be London, Toronto or Mexico City because they are in time zones that would allow the game to be televised in the United States at reasonable hours.

Also, the league also could expand its international appeal by cutting the exhibition season to three games and adding a 17th game, to be played outside the United States.

The NFL already has played one regular-season game in Mexico City and the New York Giants and Miami Dolphins will meet in London next Oct. 28 as part of a planned rotating schedule for annual overseas games involving different teams.

A 17th game would have to be approved by the NFL Players Association, but would solve the problem of taking a home game from a team, as the current plan does. The game in London was scheduled as a Dolphins home date.

There is some talk of changing the date of the Pro Bowl, perhaps to the weekend before the Super Bowl to get more fan attention. There are three years left on the league's contract to play the game in Hawaii, but the league is allowed to move it in one of those years.

"NEW YORK — Commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday the league is looking into the possibility of playing a Super Bowl outside the United States, although not before 2012 at the earliest."

You know, the Mayan calendar mysterious stops in the year 2012....albeit at the end of it....maybe the Superbowl being played in Mexico City would be the last sign of doomsday.

Isn't this what NFL Europe is for? They are getting record crowds in Germany this year and I thought they intended to double the size of that league over the next few years.

Mexico, I don't even know what to say about, Toronto also has its own local football league, and if enough people in London cared surely one of the two defunct British NFLE franchises would still be around.

Wouldn't the NFLPA have to sign off on this too? No way Upshaw and the gang let this go through. I'm shocked Goodell even has spoken about it.

I also don't understand how you could move the Pro Bowl to before the Super Bowl. Would players on the SB teams just simply not get to play in the Pro Bowl? Because no coach is going to want his stars away from practice the week before a championship.

I think the whole idea of 'spreading' the NFL overseas is ludicrous - stupid to the core. Unless we're ready to unleash teleportation on the world, and I just haven't caught that news while in line at the grocery store, theres no chance American Football games will ever routinely be played overseas. So, short of that, whats the frigging point????

Goodell can't think of any other way to 'make a name for himself' - thats the impression I get, so they've come up with this hairbrained scheme.

Silly.

The Super Bowl IS America. I sense backlash - bigtime - if they go through with this. Not to mention its patently unfair to the fans of the two teams who get there - people will not only have to mortgage their houses for tickets, they'll have to sell their babies on the black market to afford travel and lodging too.

Total BS.

I think the whole idea of 'spreading' the NFL overseas is ludicrous - stupid to the core. Unless we're ready to unleash teleportation on the world, and I just haven't caught that news while in line at the grocery store, theres no chance American Football games will ever routinely be played overseas. So, short of that, whats the frigging point????

Goodell can't think of any other way to 'make a name for himself' - thats the impression I get, so they've come up with this hairbrained scheme.

Silly.

The Super Bowl IS America. I sense backlash - bigtime - if they go through with this. Not to mention its patently unfair to the fans of the two teams who get there - people will not only have to mortgage their houses for tickets, they'll have to sell their babies on the black market to afford travel and lodging too.

Total BS.

Excellent points, and I also can't believe the TV networks would sit idly by about this either. Say if the game were held in London, that's a 5 hour time difference from the east coast of the USA, and an 8 hour one from the west. To make the game palatable for US networks you're almost forced to have kickoff sometime around 7:00PM eastern time, so would they really consider having kickoff locally at like 2 in the afternoon? That would definitely be a strange feeling for a Super Bowl.

Plus wouldn't the weather in London during January pretty much preclude it? Its certainly a far cry from the temps of sunny San Diego or Miami....unless there is a dome somewhere in London I'm not aware of.

Archived