Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Falcons owner orders GM to move up and draft CJ

Nighthawk

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/04/25/trades/index.html

Draft deals cooking

Teams maneuvering to take WR Johnson, LB Willis

Posted: Wednesday April 25, 2007 4:42PM; Updated: Wednesday April 25, 2007 7:56PM

• While everyone has focused on No. 4 Tampa Bay as the most likely trading partner for No. 2 Detroit in the Calvin Johnson Sweepstakes, it's the No. 8 Falcons who might truly be in the driver's seat. Sources say Falcons owner Arthur Blank has pretty much ordered Atlanta general manager Rich McKay to do everything he can to put the team into position to land Johnson at No. 2.

Blank wants Johnson for a couple of reasons. First, Johnson played at Georgia Tech and would help sell tickets to disillusioned Falcons fans who have endured two non-playoff seasons after Atlanta went to the NFC title game in 2004. Second, the Falcons still have their long-standing need of a reliable big-play receiver for quarterback Michael Vick to play pitch and catch with.

With seven picks in the first four rounds (including two second-rounders and three in the fourth), Atlanta definitely has the ammo to make the deal with Detroit. The Falcons could send the Lions their picks at 8, 39 and 44 for the No. 2 spot, and still have a third-rounder and three fourth-rounders to fill other needs.

The Falcons certainly have a lot of picks at their disposal. Might be tough to match any offer by Atlanta if they're truly coveting CJ. This is the first Ive heard of Atlanta wanting CJ though. Had heard they were really in love with Landry.

on the other hand...Atlanta has a lot of holes on their defensive/offensive lines.

Johnson would be a good acquisition for the Falcons from an on the field and off the field perspective.

Considering they have the ammunition to move up and select Johnson while having the luxury of still having draft selections remaining to fill holes, Atlanta is more than capable of making a move to select Johnson.

Agreed.

On a side note, are there any doctors in here willing to induce a coma for the next two days? If so, let me know.

I'm not a doctor but I know how to alter my state of consciousness...

I, however, will be waiting until draft day to do so.

You know the thought occured to me that if I didn't have a kid, and didn't want to watch the draft, that it would be a perfect opportunity to spend some "Quality" time together.

That won't be happening I got my 4 year old pumped up for the draft. If you ask him who the Skins should draft he's likely to blurt out one of two names. Branch or Landry. ROFLMAO

I asked him at dinner last night, "So who are the redskins going to draft." And he says Branch lol.

I'm not a doctor but I know how to alter my state of consciousness...

I, however, will be waiting until draft day to do so.

Oh...I fully plan on altering my consciousness on draft day.

But I just hate waiting. So if you wanna knock me out for the next two days, Ill be most grateful.

Wow, look at all those picks they have!!! I said this in another thread and was shot down, but having tons of picks is ALWAYs a good thing, they can bundle tons of them, get the top guy in the draft and still ad some solid talant later on.

Meanwhile we have 1 pick

Archived