Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CZAR: Skins might hire new personnel director after draft

Andre The Giant

Redskins changes

The rumor has been circulating for more than a month now that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder plans to hire a new personnel director to work with head coach Joe Gibbs after the draft. Bobby DePaul, Jerry Angelo’s right-hand man in Chicago, has been mentioned the most because he and Gibbs are friendly and could work together.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/NFL_Czar/2007/04/24/Moss_may_matter_in_this_draft

This is exactly what we need! We don't need a GM, we have Gibbs who has a very good plan, but we need someone to be able to scout with the best of them.

We need to hit more on additions, wether the draft or free agency. The plan is fine, its the personel we are picking.

I wish they would bring someone in, however why would they wait until after the draft. They could have gotten him a while ago. Sounds like just what it is. a rumor.

That's the first question that popped into my mind too. Why AFTER the draft?

If Mr. Snyder wants a change in direction, great. But why not give the new guy a chance to use one of the biggest vehicles for change...the draft.

I wish they would bring someone in, however why would they wait until after the draft. They could have gotten him a while ago. Sounds like just what it is. a rumor.
That's the first question that popped into my mind too. Why AFTER the draft?

If Mr. Snyder wants a change in direction, great. But why not give the new guy a chance to use one of the biggest vehicles for change...the draft.

Bringing a guy in Jan or February would have been difficult

He would have to spend a lot of time re-organizing the FO and firing/hiring scouts

If you bring him in after the draft, a new person has a full season to develop the FO structure he wants, bring in the right people and be prepared for FA and the draft 2008

I think it's pretty common to bring new personnel folks in after a draft. Case in point is Casserly being let go after Houston's draft last year, the decision was made in advance. All the preparation for the draft has been put together by this personnel team.

Not saying that this is going to happen (there was certainly no indication during yesterday's press conference). But if it did happen, it would make sense to do it in May.

I think we have an idea of how we want to go about this draft. We don't need to be focused on a shake up this late. IF this is true, then I would welcome it, and be glad to take the help next year. How much can he really make a difference this year, with our whole 4 picks??

Bringing a guy in Jan or February would have been difficult

He would have to spend a lot of time re-organizing the FO and firing/hiring scouts

If you bring him in after the draft, a new person has a full season to develop the FO structure he wants, bring in the right people and be prepared for FA and the draft 2008

Spot On

There is a rule stating you cannot make personel changes until after the draft.

Correct me if I am wrong, I was tod this.

Here is a look at him:

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/FrontOfficeBio.asp?front_office_id=8

Bobby DePaul, in his sixth year as the Bears director of pro personnel, has played an instrumental role to Chicago’s two division championships achieved during his tenure with the team. Hired on June 19, 2001, the 17-year NFL veteran came to Chicago after serving as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles player personnel department for four years following an eight-year career as an NFL assistant coach.

DePaul evaluates players in the professional ranks, prepares the club for its acquisitions through free agency or the waiver wire and manages the advance scouting for Bears opponents. In addition to supervising the pro personnel department, DePaul has a hand in day-to-day football operations, assisting with salary cap maintenance, contract negotiations and overseeing the development of scouting football systems technology.

DePaul entered the NFL in 1989, hired by former Bears defensive back Richie Petitbon as a member of Joe Gibbs’ coaching staff at Washington where he stayed until 1993 after winning an NFL championship with the Redskins’ Super Bowl XXVI victory over Buffalo. The Bowie, Md., native then served on the Bengals coaching staff for three seasons before joining the Eagles as a scout.

Born in 1963, DePaul attended Archbishop John Carroll High School in Washington, D.C., where he played fullback and linebacker on a team that lost only once during his three-year varsity career. DePaul attended the University of Maryland and played linebacker on three Atlantic Coast Conference champion Terrapin squads and made four bowl appearances under former Detroit Lions and San Diego Chargers head coach Bobby Ross. DePaul and his wife, Lisa, have two daughters, Ariel and Ashley.

It looks like his contract with the Bears expires in May:

http://www.kffl.com/player/16279/NFL

Bears | DePaul not under contract for 2007

Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:29:12 -0800

David Haugh, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears pro personnel director Bobby DePaul will see his contract expire in May, according to team sources. It was previously reported that DePaul was under contract for next season.

Here is a look at him:

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/FrontOfficeBio.asp?front_office_id=8

Bobby DePaul, in his sixth year as the Bears director of pro personnel, has played an instrumental role to Chicago’s two division championships achieved during his tenure with the team. Hired on June 19, 2001, the 17-year NFL veteran came to Chicago after serving as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles player personnel department for four years following an eight-year career as an NFL assistant coach.

DePaul evaluates players in the professional ranks, prepares the club for its acquisitions through free agency or the waiver wire and manages the advance scouting for Bears opponents. In addition to supervising the pro personnel department, DePaul has a hand in day-to-day football operations, assisting with salary cap maintenance, contract negotiations and overseeing the development of scouting football systems technology.

DePaul entered the NFL in 1989, hired by former Bears defensive back Richie Petitbon as a member of Joe Gibbs’ coaching staff at Washington where he stayed until 1993 after winning an NFL championship with the Redskins’ Super Bowl XXVI victory over Buffalo. The Bowie, Md., native then served on the Bengals coaching staff for three seasons before joining the Eagles as a scout.

Born in 1963, DePaul attended Archbishop John Carroll High School in Washington, D.C., where he played fullback and linebacker on a team that lost only once during his three-year varsity career. DePaul attended the University of Maryland and played linebacker on three Atlantic Coast Conference champion Terrapin squads and made four bowl appearances under former Detroit Lions and San Diego Chargers head coach Bobby Ross. DePaul and his wife, Lisa, have two daughters, Ariel and Ashley.

Has an excellent pedigree, and looks like the right training in FO's that seem to have thier game together

Not only that, he has 4 years of working with Joe Gibbs, and knows what Gibbs is about

This could really work out well

Archived