Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"we need a guy who can step in and produce right away."

PleaseBlitz

No, we dont. I see this exact quote in every draft thread I open, and its just flat wrong. WE DO NOT NEED SOMEONE WHO WILL PRODUCE RIGHT AWAY. We need someone that will give us 8-10 really good years in their prime.

We have a young core of guys. Campbell is NOT a Super Bowl caliber QB.....yet. This is the time for us to bring in young guys and get them into the system, offense or defense, that can be solid players 2-4 years from now. We want guys that will be in there prime when CAMPBELL is in his prime.

Lets look at the core of young guys we have.

The following Skins were born in or after 1979.

Cooley

Moss

Campbell

Cooley

Portis

Betts

Carter

McIntosh

ARE

Smoot

Rogers (:fingersx: that he improves)

Taylor

Yes, the current Oline is aging, but i dont see any of them nearing retirement. This team has not built for the future in a long time. This team has not been a consistent contender for about the same amount of time. Do the math.

Its time to take a longer view here. :2cents:

I compelty agree with about building for the future, but that doesn't mean we can't draft somebody who will be able to produce now as a rookie as well as for the next 8-10 years.
Is it not possible to have a guy start sometime his rookie year and remain a prime player for 8-10 years?

True, but production as a rookie shouldnt be the primary concern.

True, but production as a rookie shouldnt be the primary concern.

You're right, longevity should be priority but I don't want to draft another Rocky McIntosh either. By that, I mean I would like to see this player start about halfway through the year or so. Kind of like Sean Taylor or Carlos Rogers did.

You're right, longevity should be priority but I don't want to draft another Rocky McIntosh either. By that, I mean I would like to see this player start about halfway through the year or so. Kind of like Sean Taylor or Carlos Rogers did.

Why not? Santana only had 2 receptions his rookie year.

No, we dont. I see this exact quote in every draft thread I open, and its just flat wrong. WE DO NOT NEED SOMEONE WHO WILL PRODUCE RIGHT AWAY. We need someone that will give us 8-10 really good years in their prime.

We have a young core of guys. Campbell is NOT a Super Bowl caliber QB.....yet. This is the time for us to bring in young guys and get them into the system, offense or defense, that can be solid players 2-4 years from now. We want guys that will be in there prime when CAMPBELL is in his prime.

Lets look at the core of young guys we have.

The following Skins were born in or after 1979.

Cooley

Moss

Campbell

Cooley

Portis

Betts

Carter

McIntosh

ARE

Smoot

Rogers (:fingersx: that he improves)

Taylor

Yes, the current Oline is aging, but i dont see any of them nearing retirement. This team has not built for the future in a long time. This team has not been a consistent contender for about the same amount of time. Do the math.

Its time to take a longer view here. :2cents:

Did you forget Brandon Lloyd or was that intentional?

The gist of what you are saying is right on the money. We should keep as many of our draft picks as possible for the future for building onto the nucleus you mentioned.

Please tell the FO that we need our picks to build on for the future. Don't trade them away for retreads.

I think you're right, especially concerning Campbell. The only thing that still puzzles me about the NFL is how your post, and a lot of people talk about playing for us for 10 years. Rookie contracts are usually 5, and there isn't an added monetary incentive, like the NBA, to stay with the team that drafted you.

We don't lock guys up at baragain values early like the Eagles so we end up giving out Lavar-sized contracts to our own in their final year. I mean I guess it definitely helps from a chemistry standpoint, to devote a huge portion of your cap to your own, instead of free agents, but it seems to me you've got to really hit while these guys are in their rookie contracts to have a completely stacked team.

And he didn't blow up until his 3rd season. We definitely need help on the defense right away.

Exactly my point.

We need help, sure. But what we REALLY need is someone that will be a MONSTER in 3 years rather than someone that is ready to be decent RIGHT NOW. So enough with the 32 year old FA's. And enough talking about someone in the draft being "too raw."

Your argument is true, but based on bad premises. We do not need a guy who can step in and produce right away, because we have addressed most of our issues already.

On DL, we will have a healthy Griffin and Salavae to start the season alongside Golston who will presumably improve in his sophmore year after a fairly solid rookie campaign. Andre Carter emerged at the end of last year so that is not an issue. Daniels and Wynn are fully capable of filling the needed role of slowing down the run and providing occassionaly pressure.

LBs- Highway 57 is gone and Marshall is not in the appropriate position of a sub. Rocky has demonstrated a knack for wrapping up in special teams and in his lone start to close the season.

At S- Pierson is returning healthy, he should be sufficient alongside of a healthy Springs at CB to solidify the secondary.

Let us not foget that our personell has not changed dramatically over the last 3 years. The two years prior to last we were #3 and #10 in the NFL, then we were injury riddled last year.

A little bit of health will go a long way. That is why we do not need a guy who can step in and produce right away, rather we need a guy(s) who can be ready to contribute some time this season and start by next.

This is exactly how the New England Patriots and Baltimore Ravens build thier respective teams. Very rarely do they make blockbuster trades for big name players, and when they do, it's usually them giving up the big name player for a host of draft picks. Then, in turn, they build their team with low 1st round draft picks and a FULL draft of players. So every year they have an influx of 4-5 potential starter, and 3-4 role players. Rinse, repeat. No giving away valuable picks. No huge blockbuster contracts on players who are not worthy. And very rarely a huge rookie contract on a unproven player.

It's smart.

These teams don't need their draft picks to made immediate impacts. They learn and grow in the system. Vince Wilfork for example, was drafted by NE in 2004. He sat for awhile, then was worked into the rotation, and is now the starter.

PleaseBlitz is exactly correct. You want to draft for the future of the team. You shouldn't be in a situation where you have to draft a starter. Let him grow and learn and start when he is ready. If he's ready on day one, great, but not many young players are. Build the team for the long haul. Less turnover, less change, and you have the ability to actually build a system that works and you bring in players that fit that system rather than the constant turnover that the Redskins have every year.

Of course you are going to lose players. But when you do, make sure it's for a future draft pick or two, so you can always be replenishing a vacancy.

what we really don't need is to select a player at a peripheral position to making the offense or defense special.

we don't need a safety. we don't need a tight end. we don't need a guard. we don't need a linebacker. we don't need a fullback.

and with Campbell, we don't need a quarterback. we also don't need running backs.

what we do need are DL.

whether they are ready to play from Day 1 or mid-way through the season, we need to pick up 2-3 players in this draft to fill in spots on the DL.

Exactly my point.

We need help, sure. But what we REALLY need is someone that will be a MONSTER in 3 years rather than someone that is ready to be decent RIGHT NOW. So enough with the 32 year old FA's. And enough talking about someone in the draft being "too raw."

To be honest with you man, I don't think that a player has to go one path or the other. In other words, I think it's possible to start your rookie year and be a monster three years down the road.

It's happened before and there's no rule against it.

whether they are ready to play from Day 1 or mid-way through the season, we need to pick up 2-3 players in this draft to fill in spots on the DL.

That's our entire draft:laugh:.

I agree with you, but don't get your hopes up.

To be honest with you man, I don't think that a player has to go one path or the other. In other words, I think it's possible to start your rookie year and be a monster three years down the road.

It's happened before and there's no rule against it.

Some players grow and learn faster than others. That isnt the point of the thread.

He isn't saying that you can't have someone start right away. He's simply pointing out that you shouldn't need to draft a guy to start right away in every draft. Sometimes, sure, but if you have a solid team with a well known system in place, and are pretty good every year, then you draft the best player you can and let him learn and grow on your team. If he starts the first year, fine, but you draft him to be on your team for 8-10 years.

Chris Samuels, and Jon Jansen are examples. Antonio Pierce would have been one to hold on to. Hopefully Jason Campbell, Chris Cooley and Sean Taylor will be guys we commit to for the long haul.

Archived