Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wide Receiver catches ball, crashes into 4 year old boy

ArmchairRedskin

4-year-old needs 30 stitches after being inadvertently hit on sidelines

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18288510/

Updated: 1 hour, 33 minutes ago

FORT COLLINS, Colo. - A 4-year-old boy who was inadvertently blitzed by a college football player during a game has 30 stitches in his head, but he’s recovering well, his father said Tuesday.

It was the spring youth football festival at Colorado State on Saturday, and Caden Thomas was wandering along the sidelines with his father during the team’s intrasquad game. They were near the end zone when wide receiver George Hill, trying to catch a touchdown pass, didn’t see the boy in time and crashed into him.

“Well, there’s the sickening thud,” Caden’s father, Michael Thomas, said Tuesday. “I was just tremendously worried about the rest of his life. You make automatic assumptions there will be some damage when you see something that horrific.”

Click link for rest of article plus video of incident

It's a freak accident. The boy was probably just as excited as the father to be on the sideline of a football game. Accidents happen, not everything can be prevented.

When I got my first stitches, I was riding my bike down the hill after my mom sent me to the store to get some milk. Coming down the hill with the gallon of milk on the handle bars I lost control and crashed my bike ending up with 8-10 stitches in my lip. Was it my mom's fault for sending me to the grocery store? NO, it was an accident.

No, I wasn't wearing a helmet and it wouldn't have helped. My head was fine just needed some stitches in my lip.

Why blame the father for taking his son to a football game. That is what fathers are supposed to do, no?

Little kids around that age are usually capable of going through some surprisingly bad and painful events and recovering alright. I swear I have seen more 4 year olds playing games and accidentially running into fences or soccer goal posts...somehow they always get back up and keep going after maybe taking a few minutes off to either look around in shock or cry or something.

That guy should never have let his kid go back there. The most dangerous part of the field can be the endzone. You see how many camera guys get knocked out every year.

My sister pushed me down a flight of metal tipped steps when we lived in Giessen Germany. I was rushed to Frankfurt hospital and recieved 7 stitches in my lip and a few in my face. Accidents happen all the time.

This reminds me of one the most horrific experiences of my life.

I was up at the top of my yard putting together one of those big wooden swingsets for my daughter. This was last summer, so she was 3 at the time.

I saw her come out the sliding door, where there are three wooden steps down to the concrete patio. Well, she hit the first step, tripped, missed the other two steps and landed head first on the concrete. She didn't get her hands down or anything, just BOOM; straight down on her forehead.

I came flying down through the yard and scooped her up, all the while trying to give her the impression that I was calm. Her eyes looked fine, and she was talking to me. Good start, but she was already getting a huge knot on her head.

We took her to the ER, and they pronounced her A-OK. No concussion, no fracture, just one big azz bruise. The pediatrician, the next day, confirmed the same. And to this day, she's the healthiest, spunkiest, toughest little girl you could ever meet.

I learned pretty quick that there's nothing more horrific than fearing a serious injury to your child. And let me assure you, no one at that football game was more absolutely mortified than that kids' dad. Glad the little tyke is going to be OK.

it's funny to me that people read this, and their first statements are "i blame __________ and ___________."

truth is, kids are on the sidelines all the time for things like this, and it is, almost always, one of the memories that they'll be most fond of as they grow older. this was a freak accident.

on a side note, fox news website added some serious sensationalism to the headline:

"4 year old boy tackled by college football player recovering ok." :doh:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,268051,00.html

Why a four year old is allowed on any football field unattended is beyond me.

Helloooooooooooooooo get a clue people. What's it going to take, death?

he wasn't necessarily unattended. things happen fast on a football field. it's unfortunate that this happened, but it's not out of the ordinary for a 4 year old to be near a football field. coach's sons are there all the time. 6 year olds are ball boys.

(mine turns 4 next year, we'll see if i change my tune :laugh: )

This reminds me of one the most horrific experiences of my life.

I was up at the top of my yard putting together one of those big wooden swingsets for my daughter. This was last summer, so she was 3 at the time.

I saw her come out the sliding door, where there are three wooden steps down to the concrete patio. Well, she hit the first step, tripped, missed the other two steps and landed head first on the concrete. She didn't get her hands down or anything, just BOOM; straight down on her forehead.

I came flying down through the yard and scooped her up, all the while trying to give her the impression that I was calm. Her eyes looked fine, and she was talking to me. Good start, but she was already getting a huge knot on her head.

We took her to the ER, and they pronounced her A-OK. No concussion, no fracture, just one big azz bruise. The pediatrician, the next day, confirmed the same. And to this day, she's the healthiest, spunkiest, toughest little girl you could ever meet.

I learned pretty quick that there's nothing more horrific than fearing a serious injury to your child. And let me assure you, no one at that football game was more absolutely mortified than that kids' dad. Glad the little tyke is going to be OK.

Dude, I think my heart would have exploded if that had happened to my daughter. Kudos for keeping calm.

Archived