Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whoever we pick is NOT going to start right out

argentina_redskins

What a complete joke, I heard this too. You're telling me a 5-11 team can't start a #6 overall pick right away. Marques Colston was a 7th rounder and started from day one. What an archaic way of thinking.

I think it has everything to do with the player the new com is projected to replace.

It's the Skins way of showing respect and then letting the older player see what the new guy brings to the table, JMNO.

This is precisely why I love Pete Carroll. He starts the best player, regardless of age or experience. Players thrive on competition. To tell a player he won't start is pigeonholing yourself unnecessarily. Gibbs shouldn't make any statements about playing time until we draft a player, and he comes to mini camp/practice and proves what he can or cannot do.

What a complete joke, I heard this too. You're telling me a 5-11 team can't start a #6 overall pick right away. Marques Colston was a 7th rounder and started from day one. What an archaic way of thinking.

Amen! Others will spin the hell out of it though.

According to Joe Gibbs as he just said it in the presser. At most they will have a "role". So let's not get depressed if our player doesn't become a stud in 5 games.

I think he said that to protect himself from criticizm in case the pick looks a little lost in his first appearance as a player. :cheers:

Oh on the contrary, we Redskins fans expect one free agent or one draftee to be the savior of our losing ways. It's our fault that we're so blindfully optimistic instead of realizing that "team" always matters most. Even your Pee Wee coach told you that. Glad to here Gibbs say that he doesn't expect any rookie to start but may have a "role." That's the way it should be, and it has always been that way in sports no matter the level. Sure there are exceptions to the rule, but I can't think of many. Landry could start right away if he is chosen and none of the "starting" safetys are ready to go. If Prioleau is still unhealthy, Stoutmire is a bust, and Fox doesn't fair well maybe Landry gets the start assuming we draft him :doh: I'm excited like everyone else but this draft should be about building and depth and not about the idea that one individual will greatly impact our team this year. Maybe he will, but don't bet the farm on it. He'll have a role just like a handful of rookies did for their respective teams in '06

HTTR

Archived