Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter King says don't expect any deals for the #1 or #2 overall selections

kingdaddy

For what it's worth, Peter King was on Mike and Mike in the morning (ESPN radio) today and said not to expect anyone to trade up with Oakland or Detroit because the difference in paying the #2 pick as opposed to the #4 pick is 3 million dollars a year......He said that Reggie Bush makes 3 mil a year more than the DaBrickashaw Ferguson does for the Jets and they were the 2nd and 4th picks last year. He added that Houston called the Jets and asked if the Jets wanted the #1 overall last year and the Jets GM replied "what else are you going to throw in?"

Personally, I think this theory probably does apply to every team in the league but the Redskins. I don't see Snyder being scared off by the money he'd pay out, as long as we can stay under the cap.

It's interesting, King said it doesn't matter what position the player pays when drafted; it's all about the slot they're taken in. So, if Detroit goes for the O-lineman, they'd be paying huge bucks for Joe Thomas, likely 3 mil a year more than guys going after him. It makes me think they'll either trade out of 2, if they have a partner, or they'll take the QB, in this case Quinn.

One more thing he talked about was Tampa Bay. He said everyone thinks Tampa Bay is going to try and deal up with Detroit but he dispelled that as not necessarily being the case. He said he believes Tampa will sit at 4 and hope Johnson falls to them rather than risk moving up and having to pay him more $$$$$.

Like Snyder cares... All he wants to do is make a lot of noise irregardless of what is in the best interest of the football team.
I think you have Dan Snyder wrong. I think Dan Snyder wants the team to win regardless of what it costs. Dan Snyder is a fan first. If you don't think so, then I ask you, do you honestly think that there were not other things that Dan Snyder would have made more of a profit in investing in?

Like Snyder cares... All he wants to do is make a lot of noise irregardless of what is in the best interest of the football team.

I'm not a Snyder lover, but you've got to give him his due - he wants to make noise, money AND do what he thinks is best for the 'skins.

I know he wants to win... it's just not as important to him as making headlines. It is rather obvious to me that he doesn't want to do the things that would help us win if it means that he could no longer get his little fingers into everything and drive the incredible burgundy hype machine around. The absence of a GM is all the proof you should need.

I think you have Dan Snyder wrong. I think Dan Snyder wants the team to win regardless of what it costs. Dan Snyder is a fan first. If you don't think so, then I ask you, do you honestly think that there were not other things that Dan Snyder would have made more of a profit in investing in?

I think that you're buying into the dream. It's nice, but the dream isn't real. He may have had a Redskins hat when he was younger, but that doesn't make him a fan first. He's invested in the Redskins because we're the most dedicated fans that there are, and will be stupid enough to pay $75 tickets and then pay $4 to buy Kleenexes to stop the nosebleeds those seats cause (Which I LOVE, by the way) after drinking $7 beers.

Don't kid yourself, Snyder is a businessman first with what is either the second-most or most profitable team in the world. The fact that he may have been a "fan" is irrelevant.

How on Earth did this immediately turn into a Snyder-bashing thread???? :confused:

Honestly, you people take the cake. It's kind of tiresome. And people wonder why people get sick of reading this stuff.:)

As to the actual thread topic, PK is a news gatherer. If he's just reporting what others have told him, he's in his element. You can trust it to be pretty accurate, at least an accurate description of what he's been told.

OTOH, if he's going out and offering his OWN take on events, that's when you need to tune him out, because he really seems to have no intuitive sense on football strategies, tactics, and matchups.

How on Earth did this immediately turn into a Snyder-bashing thread???? :confused:

You're right, this thread had nothing to do with Snyder. I just hate him so much that it comes out on 90% of my posts. It's a serious problem and I'm going to work hard to control myself in the future.

he really seems to have no intuitive sense on football strategies, tactics, and matchups.

You mean like Dan Snyder???

well that didn't last very long...

Honestly, you people take the cake. It's kind of tiresome. And people wonder why people get sick of reading this stuff.:)

As to the actual thread topic, PK is a news gatherer. If he's just reporting what others have told him, he's in his element. You can trust it to be pretty accurate, at least an accurate description of what he's been told.

OTOH, if he's going out and offering his OWN take on events, that's when you need to tune him out, because he really seems to have no intuitive sense on football strategies, tactics, and matchups.

King added that in his talks with Bears sources they think Briggs will come back and play for them and that he will not be dealt. I haven't heard him enough to know how credible he is, but he made sense this morning.

If what King says is true, I would not be surprised to see us move up to get Johnson. It may not take as much as people think.

King went on to say that the draft value chart is becoming more and more a thing of the past because of what it costs to sign these guys. He said the chart was established by a guy from the Cowboys organization and that it was a good chart when salaries were'nt as high. Nowadays, the teams don't want to throw the money at high draft picks who may not pan out. Again, I don't see Snyder or Gibbs being scared off by this when it comes to Calvin Johnson.

King added that in his talks with Bears sources they think Briggs will come back and play for them and that he will not be dealt. I haven't heard him enough to know how credible he is, but he made sense this morning.

If what King says is true, I would not be surprised to see us move up to get Johnson. It may not take as much as people think.

King went on to say that the draft value chart is becoming more and more a thing of the past because of what it costs to sign these guys. He said the chart was established by a guy from the Cowboys organization and that it was a good chart when salaries were'nt as high. Nowadays, the teams don't want to throw the money at high draft picks who may not pan out. Again, I don't see Snyder or Gibbs being scared off by this when it comes to Calvin Johnson.

IF that's so you could see the 1st round of the draft being more of a Cosine (or maybe a sine wave if the 1st to picks are basically worthless) wave, where the first pick may have lots of value, and then drops off fast after the second pick before coming back up in the middle to being valuable agian. And we all know how many busts come in the top 5 picks lately :|

Yeah, the cost of getting CJ won't be as big a deterrent to the Redskins as it would be to most teams. Of course, whereas most see this as being foolhardy, I like the moxie of doing what it takes, within reason, to seize the prospect that you really want. There's a fine line between brilliance and stupidity, however. Unlike most here, though, I'm not deluding myself into thinking that I know where that fine line is. For the record, I wouldn't take CJ just because I see WR as being a totally dependent position. But, you don't think the other NFC East orgs/fans would be crapping bricks thinking of defending CJ, Moss, El, & Cooley and, oh yeah, some guy named Portis in the backfield?

My sense is that the Redskins see CJ as being the only prospect REALLY worth the big bucks. That's why if they can't get him, they want to move down to a more value-oriented draft slot.

"fan first"? Capitalist at the expense of the fan experience first is more like it amigo

Disagree 100%. He may want to make a noise - but he also wants to put a winning football team on the field and has backed his mouth with his money. He may have been misguided about how he has tried to put a winner on the field but at least he has/is trying in contrast to a few owners around the league.

Archived