Best fit at #6  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Best fit at #6

• DE Gaines Adams, Clemson
    • DE Jamaal Anderson, Arkansas
    • DT Amobi Okoye, Louisville
    • DT Alan Branch, Michigan
    • Other (make your case below)

http://www.itchmo.com/read/second-company-likely-imported-tainted-rice-protein-from-china_20070423

Two US Senators say that a company in addition to Wilbur-Ellis has imported rice protein concentrate that is “also likely to be contaminated with melamine.” [Reuters story here]

The senators say that the FDA is aware of the second importer, but is not identifying the company. The information was provided to the senators from industry insiders, not the FDA. Despite a senate hearing, the FDA continues to withhold information about the companies involved.

The senators’ letter came ahead of a congressional hearing on Tuesday to examine the pet food scare as well as the larger issue of human food safety before a U.S. House of Representatives committee.

FDA spokeswoman Cathy McDermott said so far the agency is only aware of one rice protein importer, Wilbur-Ellis Co., but the investigation is ongoing.

The circle of contamination continues to widen. Please stay tuned for more possible recalls over the next week.

In related news, if you live in CA. and eat pork, you may have ingested melamine by way of contaminated hog feed.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_503671.html

Humans at risk from tainted pet food?

By Karen Roebuck

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Friday, April 20, 2007

Federal officials confirmed Thursday they are investigating whether pork products intended for humans are contaminated with the same industrial chemical that prompted a massive pet food recall and sickened cats and dogs nationwide.

Researchers also have identified three other contaminants in the urine and kidneys of animals sickened or killed after eating the recalled foods, including cyanuric acid, a chemical commonly used in pool chlorination, three researchers told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Cyanuric acid is what most likely sickened pets, one researcher said.

Damn this is getting crazy! Whats next people dying form these foods?? The way the FDA is run sucks. They need to give them some power and stop letting the industries set the agenda.

The FDA is an advocate for the food industry. They aren't funded, empowered, or lead to safe guard the food supply as they were in the 60's and 70's. What we have in this country is two food supplies. A safe expensive niche market, and a cheaper, unhealthy, experimental profit money maker for some companies.

Example, You know that growth hormones are found in all the milk in the food stores right. There so much crap in there that cats can't ingest it any longer without vomiting. Well if you care to pay a little more and look a little harder there is organic milk which contains no hormones.

Same with irradiating food. Same with pesticides, and trans fat. Basically in the absence of an informed engaged populous we get whatever the industry wants to serve up to us.

We not only need another Teddy Roosevelt. We need another Upton Sinclair.

The FDA is an advocate for the food industry. They aren't funded, empowered, or lead to safe guard the food supply. What we have in this country is two food supplies. A safe expensive niche market, and a cheaper, unhealthy, experimental profit money maker for some companies.

Example, You know that growth hormones are found in all the milk in the food stores right. There so much crap in there that cats can't ingest it any longer without vomiting. Well if you care to pay a little more and look a little harder there is organic milk which contains no hormones.

Same with irradiating food. Same with pesticides, and trans fat. Basically in the absence of an informed engaged populous we get whatever the industry wants to serve up to us.

Thats an awesome response, and insightful. Ive been feeding my animals a raw diet for a while now. I used to feed both canned and dry food. (half a can of wet, two scoops of dry... twice a day) and now since the bad dog food scare, I have been feeding my dogs a raw diet of Fish, ground meat, chicken, eggs and bones. Its all in the portioning, and the cost is actually the same a month that I would pay for cans and a bag of kibble. A lot of people ar skeptical because the food is raw. I was too at first. There is some literature to read at Rawfed.com When I do cook the food for the dogs, I boil the chicken, and then with the left over water, I boil rice in a bag (success rice i believe its called) and split the bag and chicken between the dogs. Its something to look into during these times of uncetainty, and my dogs have never looked healthier. Just some food for thought guys, something to look into. :2cents:

The FDA is an advocate for the food industry. They aren't funded, empowered, or lead to safe guard the food supply. What we have in this country is two food supplies. A safe expensive niche market, and a cheaper, unhealthy, experimental profit money maker for some companies.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Very well said. :cheers:

While I agree with you on the FDA that is not the reason cats cannot drink the milk http://www.cat-world.com.au/CatMilk.htm

Sorry to get off topic.

This has as much to do with the way corporations and big business run today's government it is sicking

While I agree with you on the FDA that is not the reason cats cannot drink the milk http://www.cat-world.com.au/CatMilk.htm

Sorry to get off topic.

This has as much to do with the way corporations and big business run today's government it is sicking

Yes we can believe cats became dominantly lactose intolerant starting about 20 years ago. Or we can believe that the increased hormones and crap in the milk creates milk that felines can't ingest. Then we can prove this to ourselves by feeding a cat the organic milk and watch as they don't vomit... Try it some time.

Thats an awesome response, and insightful. Ive been feeding my animals a raw diet for a while now. I used to feed both canned and dry food. (half a can of wet, two scoops of dry... twice a day) and now since the bad dog food scare, I have been feeding my dogs a raw diet of Fish, ground meat, chicken, eggs and bones. Its all in the portioning, and the cost is actually the same a month that I would pay for cans and a bag of kibble. A lot of people ar skeptical because the food is raw. I was too at first. There is some literature to read at Rawfed.com When I do cook the food for the dogs, I boil the chicken, and then with the left over water, I boil rice in a bag (success rice i believe its called) and split the bag and chicken between the dogs. Its something to look into during these times of uncetainty, and my dogs have never looked healthier. Just some food for thought guys, something to look into. :2cents:

So the current problem with cat and dog food occured when some smart chineese business man treated rice protein with a chemical which ups the testable protein content. This both increases the value of the rice extract as well as makes it poisonous.

Question, what are you going to feed your animals when the same thing happens in the human food supply?

Question, how many months have we known this had happenned and when exactly are they going to pull the poisonous food off the market? They're still selling that crap....

So the current problem with cat and dog food occured when some smart chineese business man treated rice protein with a chemical which ups the testable protein content. This both increases the value of the rice extract as well as makes it poisonous.

Question, what are you going to feed your animals when the same thing happens in the human food supply?

Question, how many months have we known this had happenned and when exactly are they going to pull the poisonous food off the market? They're still selling that crap....

I hear ya, and honestly, i dont care how long they keep the poisonous dog food on the shelves... i dont feed my dogs canned dog food or kibble anymore. When "they" whoever "they" are starts to poison human food supply, ill either die, (the obvious ending) or ill get sick and eat something else, and stop feeding my dogs the boil in bag rice, or Ill mutate due to the poison in the human food supply, and eat my dogs.

I posted info about a raw diet for your pet as an ALTERNATIVE to eating store bought pet food. your arguement makes no sense as a retort to my statement. When the human rice supply gets tainted i wont eat rice anymore..... sounds logical doesnt it. I kinda figured you would come to your own assumption on that one. :laugh:

Question: What do you plan on doing when "they" poison your food supply? :doh:

Archived