Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pros and Cons: Trading w/ Chicago for LB Lance Briggs

Om

As described in this thread, I am planning to link to this and the other similar thread(s) as part of this week’s fan blog on the NFL Draft. As previously noted, my hope is for these threads to be more collections of short opinion pieces than debate threads. If you do choose to respond to other people’s posts, please keep this in mind. Feel free to cut and paste previous posts you may have written on this subject.

In this thread, please make your best arguments for and/or against:

Trading #6 pick to Chicago for LB Lance Briggs and #31 pick.

:helmet:

Pro; The player speaks for himself, he is tough and has a motor.

Cons; We don't need a LBer at this point. It would hurt Rocky from developing. We obviously need DL help, and Landry at SS would have more impact, IMO. This is the least beneficial option, again IMO>

Pros:

*Cricket Chirping*....

Cons:

-What an embarrasement to the franchise if this happens! We traded 3 draft picks last year to acquire Rocky McIntosh to play OLB. Give the kid a chance before you replace him with someone else.

Pro: Proven player at a high level, yet we could argue an infusion of youth and depth is necessary. Trading out and moving down getting in return a valuable player is attactive; we could take a flyer on a position of need further down.

CON: He is going to want to be PAID. Could be overrated playing behind Harris et al. and next to Urlacher. Compensation to the Bears might be prohibitive. He plays a position we have some youth and talent; again allocation of finite resources.

Pros: We could trade Rocky for some draft picks. Would be sad but hey, that's the NFL. Briggs is a beast.

Cons: Lamar, one of our top tacklers, sits on the bench even more. Disgruntled and disrespected. Giving the #6 to an NFC contender isn't smart when they are busted up pretty bad this offseason.

It's been so long since these rumors came out that I almost forgot about this. Please don't let it be.

Pros: He has played at a high level for 2 years in a row (or more). Would appear that he can "solidify" the exterior LB position. He is young.

Cons: We would be pouring money into another player that we havent seen function in our system (a la Trotter, perhaps). We lose the opportunity to land an impact D-lineman with our pick (which is a bigger need). If he was disgruntled with the Bears, a team that has been successful in back-to-back years then It worries me what may occur with the Redskins if say we go 5-11 this year. Im not saying he's the TO of linebackers but he could become that....down the road. Terrell Owens didnt become "TO" until his stop in Philly for the most part...or was it the pitstop in B'more. It would be easier to mold a young guy from the getgo to cater to our system/style of play/coaches.

Pros: Good in defense against the pass, would be an excellent linebacker for much time to come. Good at tackling and forcing turnovers. IF Washington's Prognosis is not as good as we hope he would be able to step in to that position right now

Cons: May want a salary which is cost prohibitive with our current Salary Cap available. May be a product of the Tampa2 Scheme Lovie Smith runs. Trading down with chicago severely hurts our chances of getting a DT or DE that can really help get the most out of both Fletcher and Briggs. We really need a 3rd or 4th Round pick in addition to Briggs and the 6th Pick before in my mind its viable. We need depth at Dline, and we just spent two picks (traded up to get Rocky McIntosh last year).

Pros: is a 3 down LB, can turn and run better than any LB in football, is a tackling machine (130 last year), runs sideline to sideline, tough against the run. Can play MLB in dime package, will sacrifice his body against OL to let teammate make tackle, Great team leader, only negative is this contract negotiation and once that's done would not be an issue, never injured, top 6 LB in NFL

Cons: Salary cap hit, not a position of need. If he goes to the Giants will be the best player on their team

Pros:

1. 3 time Probowler in 4 Years.

2. 2 Players (1 definite Probowler) for 1 pick.

3. We could get D-Line help with the 31st pick.

4. Gives an instant upgrade to the LB Core.

5. Rocky McIntosh could be moved to the Sam position under Marcus if Marcus gets hurt or retires.

Cons:

1. We already have a young LB at the Will position who we invested 2 2nd round picks in.

2. Paying Briggs salary will be tough on the franchise.

Personally, I don't see any pros that outweight the cons for a trade that would give up our first rounder for Briggs. If our first round pick were in the late teens or so, maybe. Or if the Bears' first rounder were better, again maybe. The only way this trade might work is if one of the top four defensive linemen fall to the 31st pick. But that's highly unlikely.

The cons are that we would be losing a high first round pick for a player that is good, but not great, in my opinion. My preference is for the Redskins to keep draft picks and/or parlay them into more picks, not fewer or worse.

Briggs doesn't add any wins to the Redskins this year. However, drafting an impact player or two, even though there is no guarantee, could give us a couple wins this year, and more in the following years. I just don't see Briggs having that much of an impact.

Hail,

H

Pro

1. We were run on like crazy last year on the weak linebacker side, Briggs seems to have the talent to shore that up.

2. He's young and in his prime

3. Maybe long term he can be shifted to MLB when London Fletcher starts losing it.

Con

1. As to sacks, INTs, he doesn't seem to be a big playmaker. We have too many guys on our roster already who are like that.

2. Its arguably a position of strength ALREADY with both Marshall and Rocky there. Do we really have no holes on our team, where we start upgrading positions that are already strong as opposed to shoring up weaknesses?

3. When he gets his big contract does he lose his hunger to excel like some other FAs

4. Does he fit this scheme, some say not. Heck even Holdman was good in the Bears scheme, makes me worry about Briggs here.

Pro

1. We were run on like crazy last year on the weak linebacker side, Briggs seems to have the talent to shore that up.

2. He's young and in his prime

3. Maybe long term he can be shifted to MLB when London Fletcher starts losing it.

Con

1. As to sacks, INTs, he doesn't seem to be a big playmaker. We have too many guys on our roster already who are like that.

2. Its arguably a position of strength ALREADY with both Marshall and Rocky there. Do we really have no holes on our team, where we start upgrading positions that are already strong as opposed to shoring up weaknesses?

3. When he gets his big contract does he lose his hunger to excel like some other FAs

4. Does he fit this scheme, some say not. Heck even Holdman was good in the Bears scheme, makes me worry about Briggs here.

This is a pretty good list. I would at to #3 on the cons, can we afford to tie up another huge contract in a linebacker?

As described in this thread, I am planning to link to this and the other similar thread(s) as part of this week’s fan blog on the NFL Draft. As previously noted, my hope is for these threads to be more collections of short opinion pieces than debate threads. If you do choose to respond to other people’s posts, please keep this in mind. Feel free to cut and paste previous posts you may have written on this subject.

In this thread, please make your best arguments for and/or against:

Trading #6 pick to Chicago for LB Lance Briggs and #31 pick.

:helmet:

That would be another stupid move in a sea of stupid moves. We don't need LB help as much as we need DL help. Let's give Rocky McIntosh a chance, for Pete's sake!

Pros: Proven All Pro LB with experence across the line.

Played at a high level with a low contrct wothout complaining.

Strong against the run and pass, versital

Adds a player at a position of need.( #53 coming off injury,unproven rookie and career back up, aging vet)

Turns one pick into two (DE Johnson,LG Grubbs, WR Bowe, DT Tyler)

I believe it might be cheaper to get Briggs under contract (he is not looking to break the bank) and the #31 instead of just the #6.

Cons: Another could be the system type

Miss (hopefully) our last chance at a top draft prospect

By not adressing on of the biggest holes, we struggle against the run again

Pro: Had good numbers behind a great defensive line and playing next to Brian Urlacker

Con: giving up the #6 for a player we dont need for a position that is already filled. We also dont have Chicaco's D-line or Brian Urlacker. Might look more like highway 57 if he comes here.

Pro: Had good numbers behind a great defensive line and playing next to Brian Urlacker

Con: giving up the #6 for a player we dont need for a position that is already filled. We also dont have Chicaco's D-line or Brian Urlacker. Might look more like highway 57 if he comes here.

and if i remember, highway 57 looked good in chicago too no?

Trading for a greedy malcontent is almost always a bad idea. Once he gets his money, his motivation and play frequently declines. Besides, we have good outside linebackers.

Whoa! I hate this Briggs deal just as much as anyone but "greedy malcontent" is a little bit of an overstatement. His play has put him in the top 5 OLBs in the league and they have been getting his services at the rookie minimum which a great bargain. I just think he took it too personally that they didn't want to reward him and make him a Bear for life. His value to the Bears is evident and even Urlacher has come to his defense and we can all admit that Urlacher has a great head on shoulders and usually correctly assesses things.

That being said:

Pro: :whoknows: Unless they don't think Marcus Washington will be as effective after his hip surgery and want to shuffle the LBs around once again, I can't see any pros to this.

Cons: You run the risk of disrespecting Rocky by not showing him you have confidence in his ability AND Marshall by buring him on the depth chart. You have not addressed you needs on DL and you have taken yourself out of contention on picking up CJ, Landry, Branch, BOWE, Jarrett, Meachem & Okoye. :cry:

I really feel like this would be a bad move for the Skins. The Linebacker core is pretty well set. You have Washington, Fletcher and then the tandem of Rocky and Marshall. I really think that with the #6 pick the Skins could get an impact player. I am not implying Briggs isn't an impact player, but all the signs point to Briggs being the product of a "System". However if a second or third were thrown into it I personally would consider the trade. But, Only based on picking up more draft picks.

Pro:

If we get Tommie Harris and Brian Urlacher he could make a real good player.

Cons:

Will cost too much

Is overrated and benefits from playing with too much talent around him

Already gave up a lot to draft Rocky Mac

Will cause locker room chaos

Archived