Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sony to release new tv with OLED technology

War Paint

sonyoledpc1.jpg

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). said on Thursday it planned to start selling ultra-thin TVs using organic light-emitting diode (OLED) technology this year, aiming to become the first to market with a TV using the promising next-generation display.

Several companies are investing in OLED technology because it can produce bright, colorful images and does not require a backlight as do liquid crystal displays (LCDs), allowing for a thinner panel. OLED panels are also said to be energy-efficient and good at reproducing fast-moving images.

At a display forum in Tokyo, customers, suppliers and even rival TV makers turned their backs on 50-inch and bigger TVs to throng before Sony's tiny 11-inch OLED TVs. "LCD and plasma displays look faded in comparison," said a Denso Corp. employee who declined to be named, fighting to take a picture of the new TVs. OLED displays are already used in digital cameras, cellphones and other devices with relatively small panels. But cost and technology hurdles have so far prevented them from being mass produced for use in larger equipment such as TVs.

The OLED TV to be launched this year will be made by ST Liquid Crystal Display Corp., a joint venture between Sony and Toyota Industries Corp., Sony spokesman Daiichi Yamafuji said, declining to give unit targets or a likely price. Sony has invested aggressively in LCD technology and is now the world's largest player in the LCD TV market.

"It won't be easy for OLED TVs to replace LCD TVs, but we would like to turn OLED TVs into a big new business," Sony Executive Deputy President Katsumi Ihara said in a speech at the display forum. The Nikkei business daily reported earlier that Sony would begin by mass-producing about 1,000 of the 11-inch OLED sets a month -- a fraction of its LCD TV business -- and would aim to keep their price within a few times that of existing flat TVs.

"OLED sets are very expensive, and we mean to begin first by marketing the TVs as a status symbol," said Sony's Kazuhiro Imai, a senior manager of the company's TV and Video business group. "We will see where the business goes from there."

Ihara said Sony slightly exceeded its target of selling 6 million LCD TVs in the business year ended last month, and reiterated a target to sell 10 million units this year.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/sony_oel_tv_dc

I thought you weren't ahppy with it at all? Didn't you start a thread voicing your displeasure with it?
Ok, a few weeks ago I bought an Olevia 32in HD and it was perfect. About a week ago I started to notice a light Fuzz/Static that was barely noticeable in HDMI mode. You can really see it when you closer to the TV, and its slightly more Noticeable during ESPN HD and live channels like MUSIC HD and INHD. It seems to cut down on the sharpness. To figure out whether it was Comcast HD or not, I switched the HDMI cable with my HD up conversion Home Theater system and it was still kind of noticeable. So I have come to the conclusion that it’s either the HDMI cable or TV itself. Has anyone had this problem? Are HDTV suppose to have slight fuzz when you set closer to the HDTV, or is this a figure of my imagination?

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3678989#post3678989

It was the HDMI cord, I just replaced it...

-Grant

That's good to know. I had heard great things about them, but became a little skeptical after your original post. I'm probably going to get one soon.

Consumer reports highly reccomended Olevia HDTV's in their latest HDTV testing done in Feb/March of this year. The picture is amazing for the amount of money you pay. If you buy a HDTV, buy one from either BJ's or Costco. I bought my 32in Olevia HDTV from BJ's Wholesale in Columbia, MD for $599.99, the picture is not far off, if not better than some $1000-$1500 sets....What a steal!

-Grant

Archived