Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm no MarkPSkins

Henry

But what the hell. It's 1:35 Sunday morning and I've just spent eight hours in the car with the Woman and the kids, still nursing a serious Redskin/Cowboy hangover. I still can't sleep, and I thought I'd check in and see if anyone here has any magic Cowboy-loss-begone foo foo juice. Sadly, I see we are all still out. :(

So I'm sitting at the far corner of the Thanksgiving table in the chair nearest to the TV. My in-laws are all Bills fans, and my 16 year old brother in law is playing in the NY state finals tomorrow, so noone but me really gives a d@mn about the Skins/Boys game, except maybe my wife (Although by the second half old childhood photos were being passed around. Good grief Woman. We've been together for 11 years. I KNOW what your hair looked like in the eight grade! Maybe if you'd stop distracting me I could have kept Williams from picking that pass off! But I digress) ANYWAY, I'm sitting in the corner watching the game, getting more and more p!ssed off as the evening wears on and by the fourth quarter I've scared everyone away but my kindly father-in-law, who looks at me with sad knowing eyes as I describe how Fox might as well tape certain soundbites ahead of time like "Anyone who thinks Emmitt doesn't have anything left in the tank should check out his stats today", or "This young, unproven nobody of a QB has really shown me something today," or "The Cowboys terrible offense has finally found it's rythem" and then the announcers could take the rest of the day off. I talk about how Emmitt's best two games LAST year were against the Redskins. I talk how we've gone through four coaches and almost complete personnel turnover and we can't beat them. We are a running team and we lose. We are a defense-field position team and we lose. We are a pass-oriented team and we lose. I explain it's been four straight years and change since we beat these clowns. He simply smiles and says "Try losing the superbowl four straight years son."

Then I have to shut up, which only makes it worse.

At first I thought it was Norv. He just tanked so many other games against worthless opponents I assumed the Cowboys were simply the most notable on the list. Then I thought it was the Redskins playing with no heart no matter who was the coach. Then I thought it was Larry Allen and Emmitt Smith.

Now I know better. It's none of those things. It's simply The Curse. We are winning by 21 in the fourth? Give the entire secondary leg cramps. We are winning and running out the clock? Davis fumbles. Allen is gone for the year? Trotter and Big Daddy get hurt. Ismial gone for the year? Bailey loses a leg. We have the game in hand? Watson pops the ball up for grabs at the freakin three yard line. This is as big and as bad a Curse as I've seen in the NFL. This isn't the Rams losing 13 straight to the 49ers in the 80s. This is a superior team losing to an inferior team seven straight times. (I'll concede the Cowboys were better in 1998, but other than that we should be wiping the walls with these guys.) No team can get that lucky that many times in a row.

Now, some misguided Cowboy fans will say Redskin trash talking had something to do with this, as if the outcome was the Good Guys holding hands and singing We Shall Overcome before the game vindicating themselves against the Evil Redskins who were rubbing their hands and cackling in the visitors locker room or some such idiocy. Well fine. If you want to write this off as Football Justice, I'm too tired to discuss such a simplistic veiw in any great length. (I will say that Joey Galloway's Randy Moss impression was very impressive. For a second I even thought I saw his jersey turn purple. Then I remembered that Moss won more games his rookie season than Galloway has in three seasons with the Cowboys and that star on the shoulder came back into focus. Maybe Galloway figures butt-wagging is what the pro-bowl voters REALLY care about. Any hey, maybe he's right. Might as well give it a shot. Nothing else seems to be working.)

So, my point of all of this is that the Curse isn't about anything but the Curse. We can break down this play of that scheme and figure out who was playing well and who got hurt and who got schooled and which Cowboy players' feeling were hurt so badly they were inspired to a career game, but that's not looking at the big picture. There's something else at work here, and that's all there is too it.

Oh well. This wasn't quite as therapudic as I'd hoped. It's now 2:30 and my head still hurts. Thanks for letting me vent. I'm off to see what I missed this week.

All that and it doesn't make it feel any better, does it?

The trouble is that it's nothing tactical. It's not Watson's fumble. It's not Wuerffel's picks. It's not the injuries. It's not running vs. passing or special teams gaffes. It's not even Larry and Emmitt.

It's heart. Or lack of heart. The Skins have no heart, so they lose every game that matters.

Unfortunately, you can fill some of the holes on the roster by adding a couple of guards and a safety and some WRs and a QB, but that won't fix the problem.

Originally posted by MRMADD

All that and it doesn't make it feel any better, does it?

The trouble is that it's nothing tactical. It's not Watson's fumble. It's not Wuerffel's picks. It's not the injuries. It's not running vs. passing or special teams gaffes. It's not even Larry and Emmitt.

It's heart. Or lack of heart. The Skins have no heart, so they lose every game that matters.

Unfortunately, you can fill some of the holes on the roster by adding a couple of guards and a safety and some WRs and a QB, but that won't fix the problem.

I'm so sick of hearing about people blaming a loss on lack of desire. Where do you get this from? You think winning is simply a matter of wanting badly enough? Desire is only a part of it. You can yearn for something with all your heart and it is still possible to be outperformed. The 2000 team that folded in Pittsburgh, that was a team with no heart. The 2001 NO Saints, that was a team that finished the season with no heart, but for you to casually criticize this team's struggles on a lack of desire is rubbish, its petulent and its completely unsubstantiated by anything I have seen on the field. You think any time a running back has a big day, its because the defense he was playing didn't care enough? The team has played poorly, I'm not defending their play, but that has nothing to do with heart as far as I can tell, and over the last 10 years, I've seen enough Redskins players going through the motions to know lack of desire when I see it. Where exactly have you seen this lack of heart?

And by the way, the Skins don't lose every game that matters, just last week they won a game they had to win against a supposedly more talented team. The problem is that the Skins are a mediocre team, but it has nothing to do with heart, and for you to say that it does leads me to believe you wouldn't know what heart was if it picked itself up after a crushing loss and slapped you in the face. That being said, you are certainly not alone in saying that its a lack of heart, I'm just sick of reading it, the fact that I responded specifically to your quote is not at all personal, you are not alone in your ignorance.

Henry, curses are made to be broken (unless you root for the Red Sox or Cubs, then you are screwed)

I totally agree with Yomar on this one. Our losses have little to do with lack of heart. It may in some instances play a part but largely I think its just a cop out excuse for our struggles. The fact of the matter is that our "good" players are not that good. Our offensive and defensive schemes do not fit our personel....which is not very good anyway. We have major holes everywhere. I think our guys try.....maybe not as hard as we would like all of the time but the effort is usually there.

We are suffering from years of neglect to our lines. Neglect may be too strong a word as we have tried to imporve our situations along the offensive and defensive lines with draft picks and free agents. Unfortuanelty most of those signings and picks have been busts (Gardner, Samuels, and maybe Jansen being the exception). Dallas knows where we are weak (especially defensively) and year after year hits us in the same soft spots.

Our struggles actally go way beyond just our lines. Heart really is the least of our worries at this point.

don't fret guys........the personnel turn-around to fit the scheme has already started and will accelerate during the off-season. dallas has improved remarkably, but I still think they are in a long-run hole: their latest QB isn't the answer any more than Carter is. call it a gut feel....but he just doesn't strike me as the solution. and as we know all to well....no QB = no long term success. once the parts are in place and SOS has his players and the d-line finds a pass rusher we will turn this thing around. let's allow this an eagles time frame (the past notwithstanding) and be patient for the 2-3 years this will take.

I hear ya fansince62. I'm not ready to run Spurrier out of town or anything. I'm just trying to explain The Curse, which is beyond Spurrier, or any coach for that matter.

I don't think our problem is lack of heart, either. We've shown plenty of heart against other teams this season. 10 straight losses against one team is something else. Something unholy. A Curse.

Archived