Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Escalating misbehavior of some NFL players, what do you think ?

FrFan

Some facts out of many others :

In 2006 35 players were arrested on different charges, including 8 Bengals players.

Minnesota Vikings players were charged with misdemeanors for lewd conduct during a boat cruise.

Most recently see what's happening to Pacman Jones and Charles Sharon.

I'm starting this thread because it's seems to me that they are more and more players involved in criminal behavior.

They bring us joy and exitement on the football field and pandemonium on their family and relatives off the field.

They're making big bucks they got the fame but still screwing up with their life. It seems that there are too many things to handle for them: the fame, the $, the growing egos, the pressure.

Even though most of them don't do time, and there is some media hype around them, they should care about how children and fans perceive them. I think they have a responsability to be role models for kids.

I'm sure NFL teams do background checks on their future players before they enter the league, but does the league have some sort of counseling program ? Shall the league start kicking players out for a season ?

From the net : "The Bengals helped a local high school keep kids off the streets (and away from their players) by donating $250,000 to install artificial turf."

Every time I see "[Player X] arrested for [Reason Y]" on NFL.com, I thank my lucky stars that it's not a Redskin's name. Then I shake my head because it's usually Chris Henry or Pacman.

I applaud the stance the NFL takes in dealing with these arrests, usually doling out suspensions and/or fines. But it seems that if the justice system's penalties for such actions aren't stiff enough to deter players from conducting themselves in such a manner, there's little else the NFL can do to stop them.

Dead on. Plus, I think cops are less likely to let things "slide" for the hometown sports hero these days.

It's one thing if you are like, Lebron James, who is a good guy, who does a lot to help out the city of Cleveland, or a thug like Pacman.

I think cops might let it slide if you are someone good, oweing to the "In the wrong place at the wrong time" but if you are a repeat offender, even if you may be innocent, they will arrest you on suspicion.

It either is or it is just more visible because of the media coverage in sports and in general today I suppose. It's hurting the NBA according to some analysts - the All-Star game only amplified that sentiment I think.

The players are only human of course, but I still think they're more good guys than bad as a whole in the NFL. People are going to make mistakes of course, but in extreme cases as Pac-man's, I think an example must be made.

Pac-man would cease to be a Titan were the decision mine. I think most folks just want these guys to have some semblance of humility and appreciate what they have and where they are in life, to respect the game and themselves.

I think players should be made to visit a children's hospital from time to time for some perspective. Seeing a child with a terminal disease can do such things. I think about them when I start to feel sorry for myself and are upset with my current situation.:2cents:

These athletes are products of our society. In a hip-hop culture that does nothing but glorify illegal drugs and violence, objectifies women, vilifies law enforcement, and tells people that making money is the only purpose of life, it cannot be surprising that these athletes emulate what they've grown up seeing and listening to in movies, tv, and music. I know Russel S. would just say it's a case of art reflecting life, and that is true, in the ghetto...but rather than telling the stories of what life is like on the streets and how to rise above it, the culture glorifies it and perpetuates it until it spreads to other portions of society.

They should get booted out of the nfl imo. If a person is put on that much of a pedestal and then cant even stay out of trouble (a la Pacman) they should just be released by the club and ejected from the league.

Ok its a harsh thing to do but it would make others think twice in future about what theyre doing off the field.

I honestly don't have an opinion on it. I know that is practically a sin on the Internets, but I don't.

Mainly, because I spend way way too much money on the NFL to then "tsk tsk" the players to whom I am essentially paying. And I simply can't imagine a point where I say "I'm not watching anymore."

I mean, yea, in a perfect world, I would prefer that PacMan Jones not shoot people. But aside from not watching him play, what should I do?

All I know is that if I did what some of these guys have done (pac-man, henry, s. taylor, Ray Lewis), I'd still be looking through bars and trying my best not to drop the soap in the shower. I wouldn't have my job anymore or the opportunity to gain employment in the same field with another company. So, with that said.... Its sad that some of these guys litterally get away with murder.

Wow... All of the immediate and incessant whining over my " Browns to the Superbowl " thread has somehow actually paid off for the countless " how dare you start a new thread " and the " I cant believe the Mods let you talk about poop "cry-babies around here... Unbelieveable.

It was a very legit thread. Not sure where in the rules it says that " Any and all humor will not be tolerated here at ES!!! "

Jeez... Lighten up guys.

Some facts out of many others :

In 2006 35 players were arrested on different charges, including 8 Bengals players.

Minnesota Vikings players were charged with misdemeanors for lewd conduct during a boat cruise.

Most recently see what's happening to Pacman Jones and Charles Sharon.

I'm starting this thread because it's seems to me that they are more and more players involved in criminal behavior.

They bring us joy and exitement on the football field and pandemonium on their family and relatives off the field.

They're making big bucks they got the fame but still screwing up with their life. It seems that there are too many things to handle for them: the fame, the $, the growing egos, the pressure.

Even though most of them don't do time, and there is some media hype around them, they should care about how children and fans perceive them. I think they have a responsability to be role models for kids.

I'm sure NFL teams do background checks on their future players before they enter the league, but does the league have some sort of counseling program ? Shall the league start kicking players out for a season ?

From the net : "The Bengals helped a local high school keep kids off the streets (and away from their players) by donating $250,000 to install artificial turf."

35/1696 = 2.06% of the players in the NFL that got in trouble. Look around at your job, is that even a reflection upon society? I'm sure more than 2% of the people at your job have been/are currently/will be in some kind of legal trouble.

There's far more media coverage now to keep tabs on athletes. Without the internet, before sportscenter, other than the radio & newspaper, how were you going to hear about the things that an athlete does in his private time?

Wow... All of the immediate and incessant whining over my " Browns to the Superbowl " thread has somehow actually paid off for the countless " how dare you start a new thread " and the " I cant believe the Mods let you talk about poop "cry-babies around here... Unbelieveable.

It was a very legit thread. Not sure where in the rules it says that " Any and all humor will not be tolerated here at ES!!! "

Jeez... Lighten up guys.

Why don't you contribute something to the thread?

My thoughts is that the NFL is doing a decent job but they waited too long.

Also, these "criminals" are working for money for all their lives, especially the ones that grew up in a poor town. Once they get money, they start to party, some think they are above the law, and end up dead, arrested, or on espn. com with the main title "Player A got arrested in location a"

It's easy to pass judgement on those young guys, but very few understand the environment they grew up with and the pressure they're facing as a result of the company they kept and are still keeping.

Most of these athletes struggle with the concept of cutting off the hangers on and guys that enabled them a lifestyle they wouldn't have been able to afford before they became pros.

Ultimately guys like that have nobody to blame but themselves, but the league also carries some responsibility and should do a better job of working with those young men. The NFL and the teams have a real opportunity to make a difference here and I really hope they manage to reach young players before something serious happens.

35/1696 = 2.06% of the players in the NFL that got in trouble. Look around at your job, is that even a reflection upon society? I'm sure more than 2% of the people at your job have been/are currently/will be in some kind of legal trouble.

There's far more media coverage now to keep tabs on athletes. Without the internet, before sportscenter, other than the radio & newspaper, how were you going to hear about the things that an athlete does in his private time?

You make a perfect point here with the ratios...

I'm certainly no fan of some of the ludicrous acts made by players, but it is about "due process" of the law and just because someone is charged does not mean they should be deprived of going to work.

I think the NFL Rookie Symposium is the best thing the NFL does regarding off field behavior...the NFL brings in former and current NFL players and warns rookies about who they hang out with and where they hang out at and the possible consequences.

Obviously some of the "boys" remain just that though...

"You can take the boy out of the hood, but can't take the hood out of the boy."

Uhhh...yeah...8 players from one team in less than a full calendar year...bit of a red flag though don't cha' think? :laugh:

I see what you mean with "the 2% theory", but in recent days there are tougher restrictions being put on athletes that have conduct problems whether on/off the field, court, ring, ice, etc. These leagues have standards of conduct and I believe they need to continue to increase the penalties for idiots that behave like Mrs. Pacman, that Islanders idiot, and Marvin's Inmates :) :2cents:

I honestly don't have an opinion on it. I know that is practically a sin on the Internets' date=' but I don't.

Mainly, because I spend way way too much money on the NFL to then "tsk tsk" the players to whom I am essentially paying. And I simply can't imagine a point where I say "I'm not watching anymore."

I mean, yea, in a perfect world, I would prefer that PacMan Jones not shoot people. But aside from not watching him play, what should I do?[/quote']

...Hmmm...be careful or you might be in danger of having an opinion...lol

But I here ya man...I feel the same way...I would prefer there be peace and harmony, but all I really care about is the Skins crossing the goal line...and I hope they don't kill anyone and have good lawyers...

No one at my job earn what they earn and lots of them don't have a high school education. I don't think you can compare this percentage to the all society, only to the most educated and wealthiest.

They know when they enter the League that they will become some kind of "TV stars". That's why they should me more careful about their behavior and image.

Some people don't have much in life (education, good living, money, support), they keep on struggling every day not to stumble.

What happens is that, all their lives, because they're athletes and can score a touchdown or make a tackle, they're emboldened to think that the rules of society don't apply to them. Then, when they get all the money and fame of the NFL, they forget what got them there and ignore the sacrifices their predecessors had to make for them to be where they are today. Additionally, they just don't relate to the blue-collar fans who can barely afford to attend games. It's sad and it's a ripple effect of escalating salaries.

Naa, they are just treated different by 99% of society and then when that 1% comes along they get arrested.

I've seen the same thing over here in Japan being an American non-Japanese. Just being American here makes you an instant celebrity. I can drive 200Kpm on the expressway at 3AM and the cops just pull along side and wave for me to slow down. I could be loud and obnoxious in clubs in Tokyo and people would like me more because of it.

But sooner or later the 1% who aren't going to let it slide will come around.

These athletes are products of our society. In a hip-hop culture that does nothing but glorify illegal drugs and violence, objectifies women, vilifies law enforcement, and tells people that making money is the only purpose of life, it cannot be surprising that these athletes emulate what they've grown up seeing and listening to in movies, tv, and music. I know Russel S. would just say it's a case of art reflecting life, and that is true, in the ghetto...but rather than telling the stories of what life is like on the streets and how to rise above it, the culture glorifies it and perpetuates it until it spreads to other portions of society.

:applause: :applause: Very well said!!!!:cheers:

Archived