Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best/Favorite Metallica song?

Spaceman Spiff

Wow...glad this thread got so many responses. Didn't think it would.

I've just been listening to a lot of their stuff pre-1991. Wondered what everyones take was.

IMO, it's really deep, rich music. I don't play an instrument or know that much about writing songs, reading music, etc....but something about it is just great.

I think their stuff since 1991 is alright, but not up to their previous standards.

A lot of Metallica fans consider anything done before the Black Album as true Metallica...though I personally love the Black Album. :applause:

Oh yeah...little known facts about Metallica...in 1982 when they'd just formed up...one of their first gigs was in London. They were heavily influenced by the British rock band Saxon...and I think they did a support for them over here. Cliffy was into punk bands especially Diamondhead.

seek and destroy baby....

and yes... justice was the last metallica release that was worth anything..

from what i have heard of thew new yet to be released cd it is crap like all the other post justice stuff... hetfield needs to go back to drinking, maybe his lyrics will get better

if you like this kind of stuff i highly reccomend testament their "the new order" is a classic imo

tno.gif

seek and destroy baby....

and yes... justice was the last metallica release that was worth anything..

from what i have heard of thew new yet to be released cd it is crap like all the other post justice stuff... hetfield needs to go back to drinking, maybe his lyrics will get better

if you like this kind of stuff i highly reccomend testament their "the new order" is a classic imo

tno.gif

People tried to tell me that Metallica's songs were more mature as they went on, but I hardly see anything that happened later as "more mature" and "innovative" as anything previous. You want mature, Fade to Black is simply amazing. The Black Album, sure there is controversey over it, but it was still darn good, and The Unforgiven, very beautiful song.

Testament, man they are one of the true early death metal bands, them and Death, maybe Napalm Death as well, those guys went down being heavily underrated.

Fans kill me when they label their bands "sellouts" because they have the audacity to change with the times. I like ALL of Metallica's work and "Ain't My *****" is one of my personal favs because it gets me fired up when I'm working out.

They were a sell-out because all of a sudden, they went from non-conformist (you know...doing their own stuff regardless what others thought), to making music for the masses driven by mass-market music producers/execs, money and greed. Along with suing that Napster guy... :rolleyes:

What makes me laugh are fans that criticise their stuff after the Black Album. They effing GREW UP!!! Nothing more sad than seeing some granfather rockers...it's effing embarassing and the only guys who can maybe pull it off are the Rolling Stones and Steve Tyler...all the rest are pathetic. So I accepted them becoming old men...I didn't accept them becoming money-grabbing, grumpy old men. :cheers:

Oh yeah...just to recap then...I had no problem with them"moving with the times" in regards to music...the problem I had is the way they changed as people. Maybe family life did that to them.

They were a sell-out because all of a sudden, they went from non-conformist (you know...doing their own stuff regardless what others thought), to making music for the masses driven by mass-market music producers/execs, money and greed. Along with suing that Napster guy... :rolleyes:

What makes me laugh are fans that criticise their stuff after the Black Album. They effing GREW UP!!! Nothing more sad than seeing some granfather rockers...it's effing embarassing and the only guys who can maybe pull it off are the Rolling Stones and Steve Tyler...all the rest are pathetic. So I accepted them becoming old men...I didn't accept them becoming money-grabbing, grumpy old men. :cheers:

Oh yeah...just to recap then...I had no problem with them"moving with the times" in regards to music...the problem I had is the way they changed as people. Maybe family life did that to them.

So, basically, they didn't live up to YOUR expectations. And as far as that "Napster" thing goes.. F@CK Napster. Metallica was right on that one and now we have iTunes, which works just fine.

So, basically, they didn't live up to YOUR expectations. And as far as that "Napster" thing goes.. F@CK Napster. Metallica was right on that one and now we have iTunes, which works just fine.

Yeah...whatever Boyd. One thing I've learnt around here is that you're an argumentative bastage...so whatever stance I take you're just going to go the opposite way, right? Then I wont bother replying...what I really hoped was some musical input from you...because judging from your sig you play and I don't...and I respect people's opinions who can put a note together. Oh well.

p.s. Itunes did not come about from Napster...and multi-millionaires like Metallica suing some poor students...yeah that's the way to fraternise with your fans. :rolleyes:

Yeah...whatever Boyd. One thing I've learnt around here is that you're an argumentative bastage...so whatever stance I take you're just going to go the opposite way, right? Then I wont bother replying...what I really hoped was some musical input from you...because judging from your sig you play and I don't...and I respect people's opinions who can put a note together. Oh well.

Well, since were name calling...The above post makes you sound like a whiny beyotch.

So I accepted them becoming old men...I didn't accept them becoming money-grabbing, grumpy old men. :cheers:

Yup, this one too.

1) One

2) Master of Puppets

3) Creeping Death

4) And Justice For All

5) Fade to Black

6) Seek and Destroy

7) Eye of the Beholder

8) Welcome Home Sanitarium

9) Fade to Black

10) To Live is to Die

11) Tie for pretty much All The others!

Sorry, can't name just one of their Songs. They are my all time favorite band. Naming one of their songs as a favorite is like trying to say I like one of my kids better then the other.

A lot of Metallica fans consider anything done before the Black Album as true Metallica...though I personally love the Black Album. :applause:

Oh yeah...little known facts about Metallica...in 1982 when they'd just formed up...one of their first gigs was in London. They were heavily influenced by the British rock band Saxon...and I think they did a support for them over here. Cliffy was into punk bands especially Diamondhead.

Diamond Head was/is not a punk band. :)

I have all but 2 of their albums. It was Lars that was a fan of Diamond Head.

That said, I like these 4.

Am I Evil

The Prince

It's Electric, and

Helpless

All Diamond Head songs, redone by Metallica. :silly:

Diamond Head was/is not a punk band. :)

I have all but 2 of their albums. It was Lars that was a fan of Diamond Head.

That said, I like these 4.

Am I Evil

The Prince

It's Electric, and

Helpless

All Diamond Head songs, redone by Metallica. :silly:

yeah sorry...got confused there. At least you know it's from at the top of my head...I still have the original Metallica club magazines somewhere..that's where I got all my info from

']By a WIDE margin.

as long as it's from the Black album or below, Ill agree with any of those songs by a wide margin. For Whom The Bell Tolls is definitely one of their best.

Creeping Death is still heavily underrated though.

If MetallicA hadn't "sold out" metal would never be where it is today. It just wouldn't.

Also...sold out...right...people say how little the work on Load and Reload sound like metal but stack Fuel, 2x4, Aint My *****, The Memory Remains, Prince Charming, Attitude, Wasting My Hate, etc. along side Crazy Train, Mr. Tinkertrain, No More Tears, I Don't Wanna Change the World...

What is heavier? What sounds more like metal? I can assure you it is NOT Ozzy. It became popular to criticize MetallicA for selling out sometime in the late 90's because the music they were producing was less heavy than the uncomparable stuff they made in the 80's. However they were still much heavier, faster, etc. than other bands that were widely regarded as being so dark and heavy.

Then they are the biggest of the like 300 bands that sued Napster and they get the brunt of the media exposure. Anyone still mad about that? Because to be mad about it then was stupid, and holding it against them still is just childish.

I have never seen a band that took so much crap, so much **** talking and abuse, etc. off other bands and media sources while saying NOTHING bad in return, especially to that **** Dave Mustaine...he always says the feud with MetallicA (his one sided feud he created in his head) is over, then whenever he releases a new album he goes around talking **** about MetallicA to get media exposure for his new album. The guy is just a clown. How did his "Gigantour" go? Did 600,000 people turn out for one show like the monsters of rock in Moscow? Don't think so.

Archived