Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: HIV Positive Morrison Cleared to Fight

grhqofb5

Heavyweight Tommy Morrison, who was indefinitely suspended after a positive HIV test on the eve of a 1996 fight in Las Vegas, has been cleared to return to the ring after passing a battery of medical tests, Morrison told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

Morrison is in Chester, W.Va., to fight on a card there Thursday night. His opponent in the four-round bout is slated to be John Castle of Indianapolis. Morrison's bout is not scheduled to be part of the Versus-televised coverage of the card...

....Morrison has maintained that his positive HIV test was a false positive. He first revealed that he was HIV-positive during an ESPN.com chat in March 1996.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2772386

Heavyweight Tommy Morrison, who was indefinitely suspended after a positive HIV test on the eve of a 1996 fight in Las Vegas, has been cleared to return to the ring after passing a battery of medical tests, Morrison told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

Morrison is in Chester, W.Va., to fight on a card there Thursday night. His opponent in the four-round bout is slated to be John Castle of Indianapolis. Morrison's bout is not scheduled to be part of the Versus-televised coverage of the card...

....Morrison has maintained that his positive HIV test was a false positive. He first revealed that he was HIV-positive during an ESPN.com chat in March 1996.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2772386

Isn't that Tommy Gunn from Rocky?

One and the same... A figure from the past, and at one time a rising heavyweight destined to cash in on a huge fight contract that would include a big fight with Tyson.

Ray Mercer exposed him for a mid-card heavyweight at best. One of the worst heavyweight beating I've ever seen.

Ray Mercer exposed him for a mid-card heavyweight at best. One of the worst heavyweight beating I've ever seen.

I was going to mention that.

That knockout set caucasian boxing back 20 years. lol

And yup, the youtube clip confirms my memory: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eo6O7JmsBNU

Fast forward to about the 46 second mark. It looks like a Knockout from the Fight Night video game... lol

I thought Tommy was dead.

I'm not joking. I specifically remember someone telling me he was dead.

Anyways, he probably got the same cure that Magic Johnson used.

not sure if you were joking or not. Magic Johnson isn't cured. He still has HIV and always wiil. He isn't sick from AIDS yet because he has the money to buy the best medicine avalible. Someone once said it like this "If you have the money you can beat AIDS."

not sure if you were joking or not. Magic Johnson isn't cured. He still has HIV and always wiil. He isn't sick from AIDS yet because he has the money to buy the best medicine avalible. Someone once said it like this "If you have the money you can beat AIDS."

Actually I've read that they can't find any traces of HIV in Magic Johnson's blood.

Actually I've read that they can't find any traces of HIV in Magic Johnson's blood.

Really? I have not heard that? They test for the antibodies to fight the virus. When a person has full blown AIDS sometimes they will test negative because they have no more anitbodies left to fight the virus. They are usually extremely sick by then.

Magic Johnson seems far from being sick. Great news if this is true, maybe on a verge of some sort of cure???? I would love to see a link if you have one.

Really? I have not heard that? They test for the antibodies to fight the virus. When a person has full blown AIDS sometimes they will test negative because they have no more anitbodies left to fight the virus. They are usually extremely sick by then.

Magic Johnson seems far from being sick. Great news if this is true, maybe on a verge of some sort of cure???? I would love to see a link if you have one.

I'll try to dig it up. I read it a few years ago in espn magazine or SI. Basically it was just an article about what he's been doing with his life after basketball and how successful he's become with his business ventures.

Initially, though, you're right. He's got more money than anyone else could ever have to throw at types of medicine and treatments. He also works out a lot which might have something to do with it.

Actually, here's an NY times article that says it:

A self-described "control freak," Johnson is up every weekday morning at 6:30. First he downs his twice-daily protease-inhibitor "****tail" -- though there is no trace of H.I.V. in his blood, the virus lies dormant somewhere in his body -- and then he calls back East for the previous day's box-office receipts. Every Monday, just before eating a salad for lunch at his desk in his sparse, meticulously organized office, he holds a conference call with his theater managers and Loews representatives, during which he decides precisely how many screens will show each film.

http://partners.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/20001210mag-magicjohnson.html

Odd. No traces of it but it lies dormant somewhere.

I read the same thing about his HIV status. If I recall correctly, the virus cannot be detected in his blood with the normal testing procedure because of his treatment regimen. However, another, more extensive procedure can be done that will detect the presence of HIV in his blood.

I read the same thing about his HIV status. If I recall correctly, the virus cannot be detected in his blood with the normal testing procedure because of his treatment regimen. However, another, more extensive procedure can be done that will detect the presence of HIV in his blood.

I read his HIV was gone, which is why I stated what i did earlier. Maybe it is super-dormant as you suggest.

Though I have also read an aother article claiming a man from England got rid of it as well. Sorry I don't have a link to it, but i do remember reading it.

I was going to mention that.

That knockout set caucasian boxing back 20 years. lol

And yup, the youtube clip confirms my memory: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eo6O7JmsBNU

Fast forward to about the 46 second mark. It looks like a Knockout from the Fight Night video game... lol

Thanks for the clip.. I remember when I was watching that fight I was like "WTF Ref stop the fight! ****!.. He wasn't defending himself for a good 10 seconds. That's how people get permenantly injured.

Archived