Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

`Dog Chapman' loses extradition battle in Mexico

prophet

A few things. Some people need to read the last part of the article:

"Chapman, who is now free on $300,000 bail, faces up to four years in a Mexican jail if convicted. But his Mexican lawyer, Jorge Huerta, doubts he would get the maximum. Huerta said illegal detention is a relatively minor crime in Mexico, and that if Chapman is convicted, he would likely only have to pay a fine of several hundred dollars."

You think the US wants an incident with Mexico to save this guy from have to pay a fine? No.

The other thing, how many of you would be cool with mexicans coming into the US and dragging off people accused of crimes without notifying US officials?

The other thing, how many of you would be cool with mexicans coming into the US and dragging off people accused of crimes without notifying US officials?

I don't think this applies the way you think it does. The guy in question wasn't a Mexican citizen. He was a US citizen who entered Mexico illegally (by jumping bail).

I don't think this applies the way you think it does. The guy in question wasn't a Mexican citizen. He was a US citizen who entered Mexico illegally (by jumping bail).

So then you are cool with mexicans (that are not law enforcement) coming across the border and taking away Mexican nationals that stand accused of something without alerting US law enforcement? I'm sure that won't cause any trouble. In fact it's a great idea.

BTW - you think when Dog Chapman was asked at the Mexican border what his business in Mexico was he answered honestly? I doubt it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070216/ap_en_tv/mexico_bounty_hunter

GUADALAJARA, Mexico - A federal court has cleared the way for TV bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman to be extradited to face charges in Mexico, but the decision can still be appealed.

Norma Jara, a spokeswoman for the second district court in Guadalajara, said Thursday the court rejected Chapman's injunction request, ruling there was no reason not to try him on charges he illegally arrested Max Factor makeup heir and convicted rapist Andrew Luster in 2003.

The charges against the 53-year-old star of the A&E reality series "Dog the Bounty Hunter" stem from his June 2003 capture of Luster in Puerto Vallarta. Luster had fled to Mexico to avoid trial, and his detention by Chapman led to his return to the U.S. and a 124-year prison term.

Luster's capture shot the Honolulu-based bounty hunter to fame and led to the TV series.

Chapman, who is now free on $300,000 bail, faces up to four years in a Mexican jail if convicted.

----------

Does anyone else have a problem with this?

I'm sure "Dog" knew the ramifications of his actions, if he would have co-ordinated his intentions and acquired permission with the Mexican authorities, this entire scenario would not exist. Dog is supposedly a "proponent" of the law, now he must know that he is not "above it" !!

So then you are cool with mexicans (that are not law enforcement) coming across the border and taking away Mexican nationals that stand accused of something without alerting US law enforcement? I'm sure that won't cause any trouble. In fact it's a great idea.

BTW - you think when Dog Chapman was asked at the Mexican border what his business in Mexico was he answered honestly? I doubt it.

alright, less illegal immigrants! :laugh:

It was explained to me, a few pages back, that he didn't drag the guy across the border, he sat on him 'till the federales and the FBI came and got him.

(Which then raises the question as to why, if it was illegal, didn't the Mexicans arrest him on the spot? Maybe this particular law didn't become important until Dog became famous for doing something the Mexican cops couldn't/wouldn't?)

It was explained to me, a few pages back, that he didn't drag the guy across the border, he sat on him 'till the federales and the FBI came and got him.

(Which then raises the question as to why, if it was illegal, didn't the Mexicans arrest him on the spot? Maybe this particular law didn't become important until Dog became famous for doing something the Mexican cops couldn't/wouldn't?)

Not only that - they (the Mexican police force) lost out on the reward to boot.

Actually, from what I understand, he took the guy in his standard convoy fashion. They seen him on the street, then jumped out and nabbed him, and threw him in the SUV.

The Federalis pulled his convoy over after seeing all of the ruckus.

Actually, it appears that they were arrested in Mexico, but they failed to show up for their hearing in Mexico in 2003:

Charges have been pending against the three since local police in Mexico arrested them shortly after they roped in Luster. They posted bail but never returned to Puerto Vallarta for their court hearing on July 15, 2003, Credic said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14839076/

Mexico should have found a bounty hunter to bring Dog to justice.

I remember a program on this last fall. The problem was they skipped bail after their arrest in 2003 - perhaps because they were advised that it would be dropped, but for whatever reason, they did skip the country after posting bail.

I think the local police were not happy that they initially refused to hand over Luster after they caught him. Dog probably believed that Luster might be let go free by t he local authorities, but perhaps he also wanted all the publicity for himself. After all, he got his TV series as a result of this escapade south of the border.

But a bounty hunter off all people should know that skipping bail is not legal. :)

You've got to wonder why a three year old bail jumping case for a relatively minor crime has become important again. Is there a political angle here? Did the Revlon family (whose fortune Luster is heir to) want to get revenge?

Given that Mexico often doesn't extradite wanted criminals to the US, I think Condi, who as Secretary of State gets to approve any extraditions, and who probably recognizes that Dog's fans also vote for her party, will find a deal that doesn't involve him serving any time in Mexico.

Actually, from what I understand, he took the guy in his standard convoy fashion. They seen him on the street, then jumped out and nabbed him, and threw him in the SUV.

The Federalis pulled his convoy over after seeing all of the ruckus.

He took luster under Mexican Police supervision... the next thing that happened was a whole other group of Mexican Police/feds took them all down.

So, using the logic some people are using, after 9/11 our proper course of action should have been to sit on our hands and say "eh, **** happens"?

Am I reading this thread right?

Did any one get hurt in Dog catching a criminal in Mexico? No?

Then who the **** cares where/how he got an extremely dangerous person off the streets!?

Mexico should be thanking him! wtf?

If you see say Bin Laden walking down the street are you just going to stop and wave and not do anything for fear of being charged with assault or something?

So, using the logic some people are using, after 9/11 our proper course of action should have been to sit on our hands and say "eh, **** happens"?

Am I reading this thread right?

Did any one get hurt in Dog catching a criminal in Mexico? No?

Then who the **** cares where/how he got an extremely dangerous person off the streets!?

Mexico should be thanking him! wtf?

If you see say Bin Laden walking down the street are you just going to stop and wave and not do anything for fear of being charged with assault or something?

Not to mention Luster Raped 86 women, and then once charged was planning to kill some of them.

Exactly, I'd be happy with Mexicans coming over and taking some more Mexicans back with them....

You think the US wants an incident with Mexico to save this guy from have to pay a fine? No.
We hardly know that that is all that would happen to him. He got bad legal advice before - no reason it couldn't happen again. And Mexican prison is apparently an especially unpleasant place to be.
No, I don't think many people would have a problem with a Mexican hunting down a prolific, arrogant, convicted rapist Mexican citizen in hiding and hauling him back to face justice. Especially not to the point of prosecuting him.

I think this is all about Mexico's inferiority complex towards the US. They want to show some muscle.

No, I don't think many people would have a problem with a Mexican hunting down a prolific, arrogant, convicted rapist Mexican citizen in hiding and hauling him back to face justice. Especially not to the point of prosecuting him.
Well I guess the next time a Mexican drives up to the border, he can just say, "I'm a bounty hunter trying to find a Mexican criminal" and the Border Patrol will just wave him on through. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I'd be very surprised if he gets anything more than a slap on the wrist. The State Department, if they turn him over, are going to make sure that he isn't going to jail - this is an extraordinary case where we can make a political exception, but any country, whether inferior or not, isn't going to just let foreign citizens wander in and out of their country and try to capture people.

Well I guess the next time a Mexican drives up to the border, he can just say, "I'm a bounty hunter trying to find a Mexican criminal" and the Border Patrol will just wave him on through. :rolleyes:
I said many people - not the border patrol. Public perception is quite different from the actions of a few who's JOB it is to check those crossing the border.

I said many people - not the border patrol.
I'm sure many people in Mexico think Dog Chapman is pretty cool also, but it's the police and the prosecutors who are pissed off and trying to bring him back to Mexico - I think that's pretty understandable when he went into their town and didn't respect their authority.

I'm sure many people in Mexico think Dog Chapman is pretty cool also, but it's the police and the prosecutors who are pissed off and trying to bring him back to Mexico - I think that's pretty understandable when he went into their town and didn't respect their authority.
Because he did their country a favor by ridding them of a man who has raped COUNTLESS times? Maybe they should have caught the guy first instead of waiting for an outsider to do it.

"Thanks for taking this threat to society of the streets. Here, spend some time in prison."

Because he did their country a favor by ridding them of a man who has raped COUNTLESS times? Maybe they should have caught the guy first instead of waiting for an outsider to do it.

"Thanks for taking this threat to society of the streets. Here, spend some time in prison."

Do you honestly think that if some Mexican went into a small town in Texas to apprehend a Mexican criminal, and then when the Texas police told him to hand over the criminal, he refused, that they would just say thanks and let him go? And then if the Mexican bounty hunter posted bail but left the country, that the Texas authorities would just forget about it?

Chapman did take a threat to society off the streets, and that's probably why he will only get a slap on the wrist. But police in any town in any country are not going to approve of foreigners coming in and stepping on their toes.

Do you honestly think that if some Mexican went into a small town in Texas to apprehend a Mexican criminal, and then when the Texas police told him to hand over the criminal, he refused, that they would just say thanks and let him go? And then if the Mexican bounty hunter posted bail but left the country, that the Texas authorities would just forget about it?

Chapman did take a threat to society off the streets, and that's probably why he will only get a slap on the wrist. But police in any town in any country are not going to approve of foreigners coming in and stepping on their toes.

All of these people you keep referring to are at the lowest levels of law enforcement. Of course they will follow the letter of the law. The question is, how do those in authority react to the situation when it's clear the letter of the law is not what's most important here?

Besides, the original post of mine which you responded to was responding to someone who stated that everyone (the public) would be upset if this happened to the US. I didn't address the police.

All of these people you keep referring to are at the lowest levels of law enforcement. Of course they will follow the letter of the law. The question is, how do those in authority react to the situation when it's clear the letter of the law is not what's most important here?

Besides, the original post of mine which you responded to was responding to someone who stated that everyone (the public) would be upset if this happened to the US. I didn't address the police.

Alright, fair enough. I don't think there would be a huge outrage in America if this had happenned the other way, and El Perro Chapotle came into Texas and grabbed a Mexican rapist, but the local authorities and courts would most likely have acted the same way, and they would be trying to bring him back to America to stand trial.

It really hasn't reached the highest levels of authority yet, so we'll have to wait and see if the State Department steps in. My gut feeling is that Chapman won't spend a day in Mexican jail though - slap him on the wrist and everyone will come away happy.

Archived