Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bravo, Mr. President

Henry

You did a good thing today, President Bush. My 7-year-old son is autistic, and since his diagnosis it has amazed me how little we know about this condition.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/supportlegislation/index.php

December 19, 2006

President Signature Bush Signs the Combating Autism Act of 2006

President George W. Bush signed the Combating Autism Act of 2006 on December 19, 2006. The Combating Autism Act was passed by the House on Wednesday, December 6, by a voice vote. The following day, the Senate approved the bill by unanimous consent.

The Combating Autism Act authorizes nearly $1 billion over the next five years to combat autism, increasing federal spending on autism by at least 50%. The bill includes provisions relating to the diagnosis and treatment of persons with Autism Spectrum Disorders, and expands and intensifies biomedical research on autism, including an essential focus on possible environmental causes.

In a statement released today, Pres. Bush said: "For the millions of Americans whose lives are affected by autism, today is a day of hope. The Combating Autism Act of 2006 will increase public awareness about this disorder and provide enhanced federal support for autism research and treatment. By creating a national education program for doctors and the public about autism, this legislation will help more people recognize the symptoms of autism. This will lead to early identification and intervention, which is critical for children with autism. I am proud to sign this bill into law and confident that it will serve as an important foundation for our Nation's efforts to find a cure for autism."

That is indeed a good thing. As long as we're in the holiday mood, I'd also like to add my commendation to our President for his ongoing work in Africa. His efforts to try to help with the AIDs epidemic are wonderful. These are a part of his legacy, his humanitarianism that often get overlooked.

:cheers: Mr. President.

good news. My older brother is mentally challanged, he also suffers from autism. He's spent 28 of his 48 years in institutions, and the last 10 years in a group home in Alexandria which is actually pretty nice. He's gotten a lot education and care from St. John's. It's a tough road for him. It's clear that the "professionals" don't have many answers outside of medication, which causes as many problems as it cures. God bless your son and your family Henry.

Archived