Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier or Schottenheimer

Henry

Agreed verbatum with redman.

The irony of it all is that last year's team, which entered the season with Jeff George and Tony Banks at QB and Westbrook at receiver, who was at least an occasional downfield threat would have been better suited to our current offense while Shane Matthews would have fared better throwing the short passes in the Martyball system.

Marty is enjoying some success this year in part because he does not have Jimmy Raye running his offense. I suspect had he remained here he would have bullheadedly (is that a word?) refused to part company with Raye, and we'd be no better that 4-5 st this point anyway.

I really don't wish the man ill. But after listening to the Talking Heads sneer about how stupid we were to dump that Schottenheimer genius, it done my heart good to watch the Bolts choke that game away. Coupla weeks ago espn actually had them rated at #1, which has to be the greatest overrating of any sports team any time. That elevator be headin' down, folks.

I think it's ludicrous not to think Marty would have a better record right now. Marty would have a few things that Steve doesn't have.

Mostly, he'd have continuity. Say what you will about him, but I can't think of anybody who's better at continuity, year after year, than Marty. (Shula ranks up there, too. Landry was for many years). And a consistant game plan can help with a lot of defeciencies. (I also think that's why Marty preferrs the running game: it isn't flashy, but it is, or at least can be, consistant).

(Granted, we're also assuming that we had a choice of keeping Marty. Face it, even if Steve were still in Florida, we might still be Marty-less right now. But this is fantasy-land, anyway).

Now, if you'd asked "three years from now, will we be glad we got Steve?" I'd say the odds are better than 50-50, but not guaranteed.

Marty would be better this year for two reasons.

1) He'd be in the second year of his system with the players. They wouldn't be learning a new system.

2) The current roster is built more for Marty's style of play than Spurrier's.

Marty would be better this year, but Spurrier will be better for us in the long run without a doubt.

People are so lead by stats, media hype, and just wanting a winner so much, they forget the process. Oh my was Shottenheimer the stuff when he started???? NOOOOOO!

SS is already surpassing Campo and JJ's first year in wins and we're still talking PLAYOFFS!!! He** that's da*n good in my book.

Give me the Ball Coach and then with Marvin Lewis! jeesh. No brainer.

Man's 1st season and he's still headlining with a 4-5 record. Incredible!

Now now Indy, this is an immediate satisfaction board right now. Its clear this coaching staff and front office should go back to Florida because we are 4-5 and 2 games out of first.

But we're the Redskins and there are way too many people going through "Glory Days" syndrome for there to be any coherent thought.

:doh:

Yah, that is why I don't get all the media slandering going on. Spurrier in his first season has a team at 4-5, and that is certainly better than most at this point in the season. I think the media just wants to pretend Spurrier is something he is not. It is getting very old and tiresome. I mean every week when I am at the sportsbar, and I mean EVERY F-ING WEEK, the jerkoff play by play guys throw up the "Former Gator" stats on the screen, like the fans need a refresher course before we forget. It is just getting old, and NOBODY cares.

Archived