Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The goal of Gibbs II now: Have this team competitive by 2008

SkinsHokieFan

Pretty simple we all know what the original goal of Gibbs 2 was: Win the Superbowl

Well seeing how year 3 should have and needed to be it, and a lot was put into this year, that no longer is a realistic goal

The defense is in shambles. They played very well the last 2 years and now everyone has suddenly gotten old at once. Players that need to be replaced/cut are Griffin, Salavae, Wynn, Daniels, Carter, Marshall, Holdman, Springs, Archuleta

Each of these guys are either now past their prime, or simply ineffective, and need to over the course of the next 2 offseason be replaced with younger, cheaper and effective alternatives. It doesn't need to be superstars, but there need to be some Ryan Clark's and Antonio Pierces sprinkled in there

On offense, I feel very comfortable with the skill spots. By the end of 2008 guys like Portis, Moss, Lloyd, ARE, Cooley, and Campbell will be in or still be in their primes and still very effective players. However, the o-line will basically need to be rebuilt

Samuels and Jansen are still barely effective

Dockery is still soft

Rabach average

And Randy Thomas will be 31

So the goal here is simply rebuild the o-line over the next 2 seasons, and add some solid depth to the WR and RB corps. More guys like Espy, and less David Patten's

It'll be unfourtante that Joe Gibbs will not win his 4th Superbowl. However if he does make the right decisions, this team can be set up very well long term

It'll be an interesting offseason. They seem to have two choices:

1. Go back into the FA market, trade the rest of our picks for current picks, and try again to make another run next year/2008.

2. To tear it down and start over.

My guess is they will actually do something in the middle (a 3rd choice, I guess), which would the worse possible thing.

Guest sith lord
It'll be an interesting offseason. They seem to have two choices:

1. Go back into the FA market, trade the rest of our picks for current picks, and try again to make another run next year/2008.

2. To tear it down and start over.

My guess is they will actually do something in the middle (a 3rd choice, I guess), which would the worse possible thing.

They better not stockpile FA's ever again. It obviously doesn't work. We need to build through the draft.

The best thing we can hope for is that the Broncos continue to lose also so when they swap first rounders with us it wont be that big a drop then start trading down to gather as many picks as possible and draft only along the defensive and offensive lines.

Then the coaching philosophy has to change if a player is injuries like is the case of Marcus Washington or just sucks as a Warrick Holdman you play the backups like Rocky McIntosh. You get rid of the petty squables and vendettas that the coaches have and go with a new dogma team first not personal favorites

Archived