Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post Game Positional/Game Analysis...

Sportsphreek

There seems to be a lot of crap floating around here with people calling for others heads and what not. Hopefully I can clear a little of it up with my views.

1. Corners- We finally have both Springs and Rogers back. Despite what you say both are very good corners. Definitely above average. I heard comments about Rogers playing off the line of scrimmage. You need to remember, he doesn't choose. Generally speaking if you are playing a zone or deep coverage (Not his call) you play off the line, while man to man you are generally closer. Aside from those two we are really bad off. Kenny Wright makes some good plays once in a while but he always gives the receivers the inside and he gets beat over the middle. Bench him or play him only in Nickle packages. He has proven that he cannot play as a regular down corner.

2. Safeties- Sean Taylor and Adam Archuleta are both still learning. Give them a while. Archuleta's coverage defense will develop as he learns. As it stands right now he is one of the best Tackling and Run-Stopping Safeties you can ask for. Sean Taylor is playing normal, but a lot of times, it appears that he is getting burnt when a Corner (*cough cough* Kenny Wright) drops coverage because it then appears that he was supposed to pick it up. Troy Vincent is now injured and did a decent job in filling in for Archuleta.

3. Defensive Line- They NEED to generate more pass rush. Andre Carter and Phillip Daniels NEED to get to the quarter back faster. These guys are capable of playing Defensive line, they need to show it.

4. Linebackers- I honestly can't comment here because I haven't really paid attention enough to them. The only one that I do see regularly is Marcus Washington. And while he is having an off year, he still seems to be performing well.

*Main Problems with the Defense (In order of severity)*

1. Tackling!!! - You guys have to know how frusturating it is to watch our guys try to tackle. They are all going for a big hit, arms out stretched, heads down... BLEH. For all the coaches we have we dont have a tackling coach...and right now that seems what we need most. Someone has to teach everyone to tackle, because right now the only people I have seen that can tackle effectively are Carlos Rogers and Marcus Washington.

2. Generate Pass Rush! - When we send 9 guys on the blitz someone had damn well better get there because you are hanging our corners out to dry. They can't cover the entire field. Even when we aren't blitzing, someone needs to step up and generate something. Opposing QB's have all day in the pocket.

3. Dropping coverage. Remember what scheme you are in. Stop always looking for safety help, and stop giving the guy the inside.

1. Quarterback - Jason Campbell looked incredibly sharp today. He showed great poise in the pocket and was very aware. I like his ability to scramble and I hope to see more of it. Mainly what I saw this game, was that he was excited (To be expected). In being in that state of mind, we saw him overthrow receivers by large margins, in time though he will get even better. Conversely, I saw an incredibly strong and accurate arm. Some of the passes he threw had to hurt as they were being caught. Very nice sight and vision. I look forward to the future with him.

2. Offensive Line- They are enormous. In spite of this they are getting ran over. I am reading blitz as they other team lines up, but the offensive line doesn't seem to care. They NEED to pick up the blitz and adjust. Jon Jansen needs to block up the center. This is not the first (or second) time that I have seen a LB play on the line and run right up center untouched.

3. Wide Receivers- We have a dominant WR core. It is time they started playing like it. They need to start picking up the pace. Lloyd, Moss, and Randle Ell, our 2, 1, and 3 (slot) receivers are very fast and have great hands. They have to get open more.

4. Tight End- You can't compliment Cooley enough. He is everything you want at Tight End. He can block, he always catches it, and he is a smart football player. This is the only position that I can confidently rate A+.

5. Running Backs (Half- and Full-)- Obviously we are crippled here with the loss of Portis. Duckett fits our line perfectly. Given the chance I think he can make stuff happen. Ladell Betts is a very good back, but in my opinion is not an every down back...yet. He has demonstrated great ability to go out of the backfield and catch a pass for a few yards. He needs to protect the ball more, and cut more. I know that isn't his style but that is what he is best suited for. He needs to use his vision, and needs to learn to break some tackles. Keep Sellers in when you need a FB and stop spelling him. He isn't in every down and the next step down isn't nearly as good as defending against the pass rush or catching as he is.

*Main problems with Offense (In order of severity)*

1. Pick up the Blitz!!! - I read overload Blitz and was screaming for someone to pick it up but no one did. Our QB cannot be expected to pass accurately when he gets drilled every other play.

2. Make an effort - If the ball is remotely close at least dive and try to catch it. Lloyd and Moss do this all the time (As does Cooley). DIVE, make it look like you have some passion for the game.

3. Get Open - You can't really teach this, but our WR's are far too good to be covered as well as they have been. Moss needs to get well soon as he anchors everyone.

**Coaching- In my opinion this is what is wrong with the team the most.**

1. Saunders needs to realize what type of running game we have and what type of O-Line we have. We cannot continue running stretch plays, are guys are far too big to be able to move that fast. Additionally Saunders needs to consolidate that 700 page play book. There is something to say about being prepared but with that many plays we cannot run a consistent offense. Sit down with Gibbs and lobby for what you think are the most important plays and keep them. Ditch the rest!!!

2. Take some chances!!!!!!!!!!! I can't tell you how pissed off I get when we sit on the ball at half time. When you are tied 3-3 or losing 3-7 or something--hell even if you are winning-- take a chance before half time. Put some faith in your players and go out there and try to do everything in your power to win.

3. Stop Giving up- The sense of urgency isn't there at all. When it is 3rd and 25 or 20 or something (Which we are in more than I ever wanted to see) dont run the damn ball and dont call a short screen pass. You can't expect our players to juke out the entire team or break everyones tackle. Not only that we should have gone into a hurry up offense far earlier than we did. Down 20-7 is not the time to experiment with plays.

4. Stop micro managing- As much as I like our coaching staff some people need to go (As they showed during Fox). Saunders and Williams should be our only Assistant Head Coaches. Saunders Assitant Head Coach- Offense and Williams Assitant Head Coach- Defense. Keep Bugel as your Line Coach but stop giving him so much power as an "Associate" Head coach. Release some of them, there is a lot to be said about efficiency.

5. Stick with one player!! Dont be ambiguous and say that Brunnell could come back. You have Campbell playing and he threw 2 TD passes in his debut against no INT's. Dont even leave the possibility of Brunnell coming back on the table (Barring Injury). Stop spelling guys every play. I realize different players are required for different packages (Wright for Nickle, Archuleta for 4-3 and Blitzing Patterns).

6. Greg Williams needs to stop modifying his system. Bring the pressure. It has always worked in the past. Trust your corners to cover the players they are assigned. Dont use modified zone coverage let them play man to man with some safety help over the middle. Generally that was when Springs/Rogers was injured so we dont have to worry about it as much. And above all, TEACH YOUR PLAYERS TO TACKLE!!!!

_______

Having said all that, I think we played a fine game today and took a step in the right direction. I liked what I saw of Campbell especially considering he had no running game, and Santana Moss was out. I think I covered the stuff I saw in todays game in the positional analysis.

Of course I am open to any of your opinions please post your thoughts on my analysis.

-Kevin

A little long for most attention spans... FYI since you are newer. I disagree that both corners are very good. Carlos has "chosen" to play big cushions. GW pretty much said it is up to the players how far they play off the reciever. Hw has stone hands and never makes a play on the ball or bats it away. He showed promise last year but has not followed up.

ST and AA are still learning? ST has been in this systen for 3 years now and AA is a veteran. This might be a new system to him but he cannot cover a corpse! So the learning excuse is not going to fly.

The linebackers are underachieving and Rocky needs to play.

I thought the attention span would be a factor lol, but I needed to do a justice.

I haven't heard those words from Greg Williams, but the fact remains that Rogers is one of the best open field tacklers on the team. Not to mention he can keep up with most of the fastest in the league when in coverage. Today he and Springs got crossed up when trying to get their man.

With his talent, assuming what you said that G. Williams stated, he needs to be playing up on the line. Springs is a veteran and should know better. Both of them have the potential to be well above avg.

As for Archuleta and Taylor. 3 years and what 6 years. Yes they know the system, but they are both young age-wise. Out of Taylor's 3 years his last 2 were the only ones that he really got everydown play. Archuleta may have 6 years under his belt but is still learning. Give them a chance.

I am not denying that Archuleta couldn't cover a rock, and the Taylor tends to be overly agressive (also that he needs to stop trying to kill the guy every tackle and worry more about bringing the guy back).

-Kevin

I agree with most of what you said. It's late and on a Sunday night I am tierd. But I do agree with this:

3. Dropping coverage. Remember what scheme you are in. Stop always looking for safety help, and stop giving the guy the inside.

So that pretty much hurts your #1 arguement about the corners being good. You're right on that they look for safety help all the time. That's because they cannot cover one on one. Neither of them in my opinion. Springs had some nice plays today but they are getting fewer and farther between as he gets older. And Rodgers, I know he's young, I said in the beginning of the year, give him time, he will learn but....ugh...If he has improved this year since game 1 I would like someone to point it out to me because I don't see it.

All in all I blame it on GW and his scheme each game. I have been saying this for some time now. No blitzes from both sides, only one side at a time or up the middle everytime getting picked up :doh: . No locking up with your WR on the line of scrimmage because we are terrified of getting beat deep. No pash rush from our front 4. Is this really new? Have we ever had a pass rush from our front four. It's been so long since we have it may have been in my sober days. :silly: This is, for the most part, the same talent we had last year on defense and we are not just worse, we crumbled off the planet. So who's at fault? The players that have been a good D in the past? Or the coaches who have coached the good D in the past? That's the question. :2cents:

I agree with most of what you said. It's late and on a Sunday night I am tierd. But I do agree with this:

So that pretty much hurts your #1 arguement about the corners being good. You're right on that they look for safety help all the time. That's because they cannot cover one on one. Neither of them in my opinion. Springs had some nice plays today but they are getting fewer and farther between as he gets older. And Rodgers, I know he's young, I said in the beginning of the year, give him time, he will learn but....ugh...If he has improved this year since game 1 I would like someone to point it out to me because I don't see it.

All in all I blame it on GW and his scheme each game. I have been saying this for some time now. No blitzes from both sides, only one side at a time or up the middle everytime getting picked up :doh: . No locking up with your WR on the line of scrimmage because we are terrified of getting beat deep. No pash rush from our front 4. Is this really new? Have we ever had a pass rush from our front four. It's been so long since we have it may have been in my sober days. :silly: This is, for the most part, the same talent we had last year on defense and we are not just worse, we crumbled off the planet. So who's at fault? The players that have been a good D in the past? Or the coaches who have coached the good D in the past? That's the question. :2cents:

Well that comment was more directed towards Kenny Wright but obviously can be said to everyone. Rogers, main problem is inexperience. He has the greatest potential on the team as CB and can, at times, have the best coverage you can ask for. Give him some time to get back into his rhythm.

Springs is getting older. He can play man-to-man on many players but has definitely lost a step. On players like Steve Smith, and Joey Galloway you cannot expect him to be able to keep up. He needs to step up in all aspects right now. Our defense depends on our corners being able to go man-to-man.

One other thing that hurts our corners is that they have to be out there covering all day. If we could get some pass rush, they wouldn't have to cover them for like 20 seconds straight.

One thing (Among many) that I hated about the Fox commentators today was their analysis of the defensive scheme. They harped on Rogers for dropping coverage when he was coming on a Corner Blitz. The Strong Side Lineback was supposed to, in theory, pick up the slack by playing a zone over there. The problem with that play is Rogers would be covering Galloway. You cannot run a corner blitz when you depend on your LB to cover the other teams go-to WR. They should have had Springs come on the blitz, not Rogers.

-Kevin

ST and AA are still learning? ST has been in this systen for 3 years now and AA is a veteran. This might be a new system to him but he cannot cover a corpse! So the learning excuse is not going to fly.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

dude sean taylor has about 3-4 different safeties next to him game after game :rolleyes:

There are no excuses for the way this team is playing, period. You can point out all the problems you want, but there is no excuse.

:1stplace:

What a waste of time, really. Why make a positional analysis when its clear what is wrong. No defense, no running game, no depth, no consistency and no chemistry. What else is there to discuss?

2. Safeties- Sean Taylor and Adam Archuleta are both still learning. Give them a while. Archuleta's coverage defense will develop as he learns. As it stands right now he is one of the best Tackling and Run-Stopping Safeties you can ask for. Sean Taylor is playing normal, but a lot of times, it appears that he is getting burnt when a Corner (*cough cough* Kenny Wright) drops coverage because it then appears that he was supposed to pick it up. Troy Vincent is now injured and did a decent job in filling in for Archuleta.

You can tell all this stuff about Archuletta from watching a game where he didn't even play? Taylor will learn, I have no doubt about it. What differentiates him from Archuletta though is the fact that he has the tools and the youth to improve. Two things that you cannot say about Archuletta.

Heck, Archuletta couldn't even make it on the field when Troy Vincent went down. $30 million safety can't beat out Vernon Fox and people still think Archuletta has a future with this team. :doh:

2. Offensive Line- They are enormous. In spite of this they are getting ran over. I am reading blitz as they other team lines up, but the offensive line doesn't seem to care. They NEED to pick up the blitz and adjust. Jon Jansen needs to block up the center. This is not the first (or second) time that I have seen a LB play on the line and run right up center untouched.

What are you talking about? Jansen blocking up to the center??? He's RT if you haven't noticed.

6. Greg Williams needs to stop modifying his system. Bring the pressure. It has always worked in the past. Trust your corners to cover the players they are assigned. Dont use modified zone coverage let them play man to man with some safety help over the middle. Generally that was when Springs/Rogers was injured so we dont have to worry about it as much. And above all, TEACH YOUR PLAYERS TO TACKLE!!!!

He did blitz. CR (that above avg. CB) got beat for a TD. CR after the game admitted he could not cover Galloway one on one. How can you blitz when your CB admits he can't cover the opposing WR one on one?

You know, you wrote a lot and I don't think you are correct about anything.

How can you analyze the safeties and not realize that Archuletta no longer plays?

How can you watch this team and think, "Eh...the linebackers are okay. Washington rallies people?" The LBs are probably the worst group in the league.

You are saying that Williams needs to blitz more after a game in which the go-ahead score occured on a stupid, stupid, stupid 8-man blitz.

And you simply have no idea how to analyze an offensive line.

Other than that, good job.

One thing (Among many) that I hated about the Fox commentators today was their analysis of the defensive scheme. They harped on Rogers for dropping coverage when he was coming on a Corner Blitz. The Strong Side Lineback was supposed to, in theory, pick up the slack by playing a zone over there. The problem with that play is Rogers would be covering Galloway. You cannot run a corner blitz when you depend on your LB to cover the other teams go-to WR. They should have had Springs come on the blitz, not Rogers.

-Kevin

I don't think our defense works the way you think our defense works.

There are no excuses for the way this team is playing, period. You can point out all the problems you want, but there is no excuse.

Of course there is an excuse. I just pointed all of them out.

What a waste of time, really. Why make a positional analysis when its clear what is wrong. No defense, no running game, no depth, no consistency and no chemistry. What else is there to discuss?

Defense (Consists of Positions), Running Game (Running Back = Position), Consistency and Chemistry (Coaching). If you dont appreciate what I did then dont post. If you are going to critique what I said then by all means critique it.

You can tell all this stuff about Archuletta from watching a game where he didn't even play? Taylor will learn, I have no doubt about it. What differentiates him from Archuletta though is the fact that he has the tools and the youth to improve. Two things that you cannot say about Archuletta.

Heck, Archuletta couldn't even make it on the field when Troy Vincent went down. $30 million safety can't beat out Vernon Fox and people still think Archuletta has a future with this team. :doh:[/q]

I had some post game analysis in there. Some of the analysis was not based on this past game. Sorry for the confusion.

What are you talking about? Jansen blocking up to the center??? He's RT if you haven't noticed.

Yes I do know he is RT. Notice between him and Rabach there is always a huge gap that the defenders run right through. Right center if you will.

He did blitz. CR (that above avg. CB) got beat for a TD. CR after the game admitted he could not cover Galloway one on one. How can you blitz when your CB admits he can't cover the opposing WR one on one?

Well you can use blitzs other than corner blitzes. But regardless, Rogers merely couldn't beat the pass that time. Time after that (36YD TD by Galloway) him and Springs clearly got mixed up. There are some WR that CBs just dont cover. If I remember right even the great Darrell Green always had trouble covering Amani Toomer.

How can you analyze the safeties and not realize that Archuletta no longer plays?[/q]

I know he no longer plays!! However he does go in on Overload blitzs and the like so therefore I had to analyze him (and the reason that he got benched for).

How can you watch this team and think, "Eh...the linebackers are okay. Washington rallies people?" The LBs are probably the worst group in the league.

Holdman is below par, I am not denying that. Washington is having an off year but is still better than most of them out there. Lemar Marshal is also in a slump, but we know, from last year, his potential. Washington and Marshal are ok just struggling at the moment. Holdman is playing very bad and needs to step it up.

What I meant by "rallies people" is that the rest of the players seem to respect him. They listen to him and it is obvious that he is a natural born leader. (Yes I know that the MLB is generally the play caller for the defense).

You are saying that Williams needs to blitz more after a game in which the go-ahead score occured on a stupid, stupid, stupid 8-man blitz.[/q]

I didn't say he needed to blitz more guys. I said he needed to blitz more often. We are not generating a pass rush and he needs to find a way to. The modified Cover 2 Zone defense when Springs/Rogers was out did not work because our defense is agressive, not a coverage defense. When we got them back I thought things would improve and we are starting to blitz more but there is always one flaw with a player or a scheme.

And you simply have no idea how to analyze an offensive line.

You have been around for a while, think before you post!! If you are going to critique me at least back up your accusation.

It is true, and they showed it on FOX. Have you seen our Linemen in person. They are friggin' GIGANTIC...and I'm not talking about height wise. They are big big guys. They are not meant to stretch to the outside they are meant to win a trench battle with a downhill RB behind them. Our offensive line is not suited to a lot of the sweeps, counters, and laterals that we like to run so often. Run them still of course to keep the defense off balance, but you cannot use them as your primary running game.

I don't think our defense works the way you think our defense works.

Oh is that so -_-. So you are telling me that they cant send Springs on a blitz and Rogers back into coverage?? A play that we have seen run more than once in the past year??

As for the scheme of that play, who did you have in mind covering. In the middle of the field, generally the linebacker will drop into a zone and then the safety will drop into a zone behind him. However it is my opinion that they should have blitzed the strong side on that play because Joey Galloway is not going to be adequately covered by a LB/Safety tandem.

-Kevin

Archived