Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Take your pick: 8-8 or 5-11?

Tastes Like Chicken

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

i want to win, but I really don't think we will. Carolina next, win is possible at St. Louis (but a win was possible in Tampa, Tennessee, and Minnesota). Then we still got the Falcons, and I doubt our defense can stop a running Vick, we still have the Saints who are playing like a team posessed, and we have two more division rivals. If we went 3-3 in that stretch, I'd be happy.

Doesn't Denver get our pick and we get theirs? I thought we had to swap first rounders as part of the Duckett deal.

It's Top 10 protected I think. We have to give them the 'value' comparable to a 3rd round pick. Since we don't know where that pick will lie, it's very complicated. One scenario does involve us swapping first rounders to give them that value. That's why I hope that we do end up with a top 8 pick, so that we can trade out of it, give Denver their 3rd rounder, recoup some of those lost picks and get some youth & depth on this squad.

It's Top 10 protected I think. We have to give them the 'value' comparable to a 3rd round pick. Since we don't know where that pick will lie, it's very complicated. One scenario does involve us swapping first rounders to give them that value. That's why I hope that we do end up with a top 8 pick, so that we can trade out of it, give Denver their 3rd rounder, recoup some of those lost picks and get some youth & depth on this squad.

Can it work that way, though?...I thought it was a case of if the Skins had a worse record that the Broncos they automatically swapped 1st rounders, so it wouldn't be the Skins' pick to trade away in the first place.

This from Adam Schefter:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9616229

Yet somehow it managed to transform no offers into a deal that looks like it will involve Washington's third-round pick in 2007 and the Redskins' fourth-round pick in 2008. Those are the most likely terms of the deal, but the exact terms will not be determined until after this season.

Depending on how each team fares this season, the two teams also could wind up swapping first-round picks, but only if Washington is scheduled to pick between No. 21 and No. 31 and Denver's first-round draft position is even higher. Unlikely, though not impossible.

Under that scenario, Denver also could get Washington's fourth-round pick in 2008 or the Redskins' third-round pick in 2007.

However it works out, the Broncos once again look as if they will have a first-day pick from the Redskins for the third consecutive year.

Two years ago, Denver acquired Washington's second-round pick in the Champ Bailey-for-Clinton Portis deal, and used it to select running back Tatum Bell.

The next year, Denver traded its 2005 first-round choice to Washington for the Redskins' 2006 first-round choice; Washington picked Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell in 2005 while Denver parlayed the Redskins pick into a trade-up for Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler.

I prefer fostering a culture of winning to a few spots on the draft board. Lets learn how to win games again. 9-7 is what I'd rather see. Then 8-8. Then I'd go with 7-9.

5-11 would be my fifth choice. Right after 6-10 I think.

This made me laugh, Henry.

I feel the same way. I want this team winning, not losing. Playing to lose for draft picks is just a silly idea that never happens. Ever.

This from Adam Schefter:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9616229

Yet somehow it managed to transform no offers into a deal that looks like it will involve Washington's third-round pick in 2007 and the Redskins' fourth-round pick in 2008. Those are the most likely terms of the deal, but the exact terms will not be determined until after this season.

Depending on how each team fares this season, the two teams also could wind up swapping first-round picks, but only if Washington is scheduled to pick between No. 21 and No. 31 and Denver's first-round draft position is even higher. Unlikely, though not impossible.

Under that scenario, Denver also could get Washington's fourth-round pick in 2008 or the Redskins' third-round pick in 2007.

However it works out, the Broncos once again look as if they will have a first-day pick from the Redskins for the third consecutive year.

Two years ago, Denver acquired Washington's second-round pick in the Champ Bailey-for-Clinton Portis deal, and used it to select running back Tatum Bell.

The next year, Denver traded its 2005 first-round choice to Washington for the Redskins' 2006 first-round choice; Washington picked Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell in 2005 while Denver parlayed the Redskins pick into a trade-up for Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler.

Thanks for the clarity on the situation... :cheers: This must have been the 19th version of trade logistics lol...glad to see the media finally got it right.

I want us to play as well as we can while remembering that from now on the season is over and it's all about getting Jason more comfortable. I hate to say it, but I'd take 5-11 if only to get the easier schedule next year (I think that we'd play the fourth-ranked team in both of the NFC and AFC divisions that we play next year).

The way I see it, we can win in St. Louis and probably one home game, lose the rest and earn a top 8 draft pick.

-OR-

We could almost win out, end up at .500 and slip down to the middle of the draft. Thus, we would lose some valuable trade/draft value and still be sitting at home in January. But at least end the season with an impressive string of victories under JC.

I know that in the NFL teams will never lose on purpose. However, given my choice at this point, I'd rather go 5-11. With the #8 overall pick, the draft value would be high enough that we could trade down with a playoff team that feels that it's on the cusp and is targeting a specific player. That pick alone, according to one draft chart, is worth 1400 points. Which means that it could be swapped for the 21st pick in the 1st round, the 21st in the 2nd round, 21st in the 3rd, and 21st in the 4th (or equivalent in value for future picks, where there is a 1-round value penalty for future picks). We could take any of those pics, and move around even more. Basically, we could go a long way towards filling in some holes in our defense with fresh legs/attitudes, and garnishing some depth on an aging (and thus far this season lackluster) offensive line. Our team has so many issues right now, that a blockbuster trade could give us an influx of personnel that could give us some fresh talent, some that will stick and the rest that can either progress or at least challenge the millionaires in camp.

What record would you rather end up with at this point?

What makes you think we wouldn't trade that top 10 draft pick for an overthehill lineman?

We won't be swapping 1sts this year.

Personally Id like to see a couple wins under JC's belt but 8-8 would piss me off. Only because Id look back at Minnesota, Tennesse, and those games we should've won and been like damn so close yet so far.

At least at 5-11 or 6-10 I won't feel so bad.

Scott

Archived