Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Development of Dulles South shot down.

PleaseBlitz

I must be dense today, cause I don't get what your trying to say here.

*edit* I get it after reading it again. Your talking about Loudoun County I presume. I think the big problem with this particular development is it would have cost alot more than it brought in to the county.

Actually, i think the big problem with this particular development was the precedent it would set. If this got approved, then the whole of Loudoun west of Leesburg was next and then the :pooh: really would have hit the fan. Dulles South was kind of like the Alamo for the opponents of growth. Well, except that they won.

They shouldn't be allowed to touch any tax revenue generated from new homes, communities, and businesses in NOVA for the next 20 years. They don't want to allow growth? Fine, but don't go to richmond begging for increased funding either.

Business have been moving farther away from the beltway and have created amazing economic conditions. If they don't want to be a part of that, let them keep their rural appeal - don't ruin it with wider roads or better schools.

Who are "they" in your first paragraph?

I am extremely torn on this. Growth is inevitable around here. We have an enourmous international airport- the only major east coast airport that actually has room for expansion- driving growth. We have a lot of fast growing hi-tech companies and good jobs. But traffic/transit and other essential services are a nightmare. Services need to be allowed to catch up to previous growth.

Part of me would like to see "Catoctin county" split off. Then maybe the new Loudoun county could slap a massive toll at the 'new' county line on Rts. 7 and 50. Let the folks in Catoctin, Clarke, Warren, Frederick and Jefferson counties help pay for their share of our transportation infrastructure. Should help with congestion and also boost eastern Loudoun property values.

(ETA: I missed that Munchkin76 said virtually the same thing)

This whole region needs better planning WRT growth.

I am extremely torn on this. Growth is inevitable around here. We have an enourmous international airport- the only major east coast airport that actually has room for expansion- driving growth. We have a lot of fast growing hi-tech companies and good jobs. But traffic/transit and other essential services are a nightmare. Services need to be allowed to catch up to previous growth.

I'm not anti-growth. Its just the counties have been letting the developers get by with way to little in the way of infrastructure improvemments for the homes they build and the services they will use.

I think it should go like this. (Projected infrastructure needs caused by the development) - (proffers paid by builders) - (projected real estate taxes) must be near 0. If not do not allow it. If it meets this, let them build away.

I for one am getting sick and tired of the growth. Devele opment is one thing, but the loudoun county area is becoming way overpopulated. I remember the days when you saw cows on 28 and waxpool. you could be on 28 in the middle of the day, and not see anyone else on the road for miles. now it takes 40 miutes to go down 5 miles of waxpool (what used to be a small sub-road).

Enough Already!!!

I for one am getting sick and tired of the growth. Devele opment is one thing, but the loudoun county area is becoming way overpopulated. I remember the days when you saw cows on 28 and waxpool. you could be on 28 in the middle of the day, and not see anyone else on the road for miles. now it takes 40 miutes to go down 5 miles of waxpool (what used to be a small sub-road).

Enough Already!!!

Well thats all well and good for current homeowners, but something needs to be done to provide some reasonably priced housing in the county. How many people in their late 20's-early 30's do you know that can afford the $600,000 homes in Ashburn? Hell, the townhouses there are half a million.

Enough Already!!!

The problem is, economic forces are going to continue to promote growth in the area. It is a fact of life now. The question is how to deal with it. We haven't dealt with it very well so far and a lot needs to be fixed.

But to declare no more growth going forward would be extremely short sighted.

(Oh and you can still see cows on 28. At least for now)

I graduated from Broad Run in '91. It was nothing to look across the street at a house and see a cow standing in the driveway... :laugh:

(Oh and you can still see cows on 28. At least for now)

I mean ON the road

I graduated from Broad Run in '91. It was nothing to look across the street at a house and see a cow standing in the driveway... :laugh:

Bingo... they used to get out of the fences all the time.. :laugh:

Well thats all well and good for current homeowners, but something needs to be done to provide some reasonably priced housing in the county. How many people in their late 20's-early 30's do you know that can afford the $600,000 homes in Ashburn? Hell, the townhouses there are half a million.

And why would we want you in our neighborhood?:whoknows: :D :laugh:

And another thing, there should be a toll from Rt. 9 in West Virginia for those that tear up the roads running back and forth and also a toll from Clarke County into Loudoun as well. That would help with road expenses. Because those that live in WVA and Winchester are the ones clogging up the roads. They want the benefit of living in a cheaper area and Loudoun residents have to foot the bill. Ludicrous.

funny you mention that. because most of those people moved here from loudoun county because they could no longer afford to live there. so why should i foot the bill for them if i want to go to dulles town centre? :silly:

and another point: another large portion of those people are teachers, who can't afford to live in loudoun county. so you want to tax them, too?

funny you mention that. because most of those people moved here from loudoun county because they could no longer afford to live there. so why should i foot the bill for them if i want to go to dulles town centre? :silly:

and another point: another large portion of those people are teachers, who can't afford to live in loudoun county. so you want to tax them, too?

Yes, alot of people that couldn't afford to live in Loudoun did move out your way. That's the way it works. And it is unfortunate. But why should those of us that do live there - and may I add, I have lived here all of my life - have to foot the bill for either true West Virginians or your new implants to tear up the roads and come over here for work or the malls or whathaveyou?

If you can give me a logical reason why enforcing a toll wouldn't be acceptable, I'm willing to learn. But I'm sure a dollar or so a day, isn't going to break the bank of the "teachers" (because while some of them may be, there sure is alot of congestion on 7 West and Rt. 9 for that to be all it is). They don't have a problem paying for the gas to run up and down the road. And it isn't like the roads are just congested with folks going to work. Late in the evenings and on weekends, you all don't have a problem driving here for entertainment. In what has to be spent in gas to come here, a piddly toll shouldn't be a huge ordeal.

All I'm saying is, how can you justify raising my taxes constantly for roads that are used as much, if not more at times, by people that don't live here?

Yes, alot of people that couldn't afford to live in Loudoun did move out your way. That's the way it works. And it is unfortunate. But why should those of us that do live there - and may I add, I have lived here all of my life - have to foot the bill for either true West Virginians or your new implants to tear up the roads and come over here for work or the malls or whathaveyou?

If you can give me a logical reason why enforcing a toll wouldn't be acceptable, I'm willing to learn. But I'm sure a dollar or so a day, isn't going to break the bank of the "teachers" (because while some of them may be, there sure is alot of congestion on 7 West and Rt. 9 for that to be all it is). They don't have a problem paying for the gas to run up and down the road. And it isn't like the roads are just congested with folks going to work. Late in the evenings and on weekends, you all don't have a problem driving here for entertainment. In what has to be spent in gas to come here, a piddly toll shouldn't be a huge ordeal.

All I'm saying is, how can you justify raising my taxes constantly for roads that are used as much, if not more at times, by people that don't live here?

i completely understand.

kind of like i don't like my taxes being raised because of all the people that move here from where you live. it works both ways.

dc has talked about a commuter tax.....how would you feel if you commuted to dc to work and had to pay for that priveledge?

the way i see it, you have to pay for what you want. if you want to live in the richest county in va., you're going to have to pay for it. you (generally used here) built everything that is bringing people in. you couldn't expect any different than what you got.

and one more thing: go to the charles town races and slots on any given night. drive thru the parking garage. count the number of cars from west virginia. you might be able to do it just w/ your fingers and toes. should we put tolls up coming in this way? i think it would be stupid, because those people help fuel our economy (what we have of one at least. :laugh: ). maybe you should think abou that aspect of it.

As someone who is a potential home-owner, this type of thing really riles me up.... because the same thing happens where I want to live in Southern California.

If people own land and want to develop and sell houses on it, by all means let them. Where the hell am I supposed to live if no houses are built ANYWHERE in the county I am working in? The older homeowners didn't complain when tax money was used to build them roads, so why not build up roads and infrastructure for new people moving in?

Major ~

As a matter of fact, I DO drive to DC everyday and have to pay tolls along the way in order to get there in a timely fashion. Or I have to pay for public transportation. That's the price I have to pay to work in the field that I want to and make the money I want to make without having to live right in the city. And why do I have to pay the tolls? Because the people that live in Fairfax County aren't going to foot the bill for people in Loudoun and other surrounding areas to benefit from using those roads without helping out with the expense.

To answer your question, a commuter tax on top of tolls would be a bit ridiculous. But that's not what I'm proposing here. I'm just asking for a toll road on Rt.9, Rt. 7 and Rt. 15 and Rt.50. Gives us a little bit extra to take care of the road situation without gauging.

And it's not a matter of wanting to live in Loudoun because it's the richest county in the country. That's where I was born and raised and it's where my family is. Before it was built up and had "everything" people were looking for, there was still a major influx before this recent boom. Loudoun can't help that geographically, it is close to the nation's capital.

How do you feel about illegal immigration? Do you like paying for their benefits when they bring nothing to the table? I know it's a different topic, but I think (I hope) you see where I'm going with this.

Why builders would even want to build there is bewildering to me. They are having an incredibly hard time selling new homes in Ashburn and Lansdowne... how 9200 acres of more new housing would help that situation baffles me. I, for one, am glad this is not going down.

and one more thing: go to the charles town races and slots on any given night. drive thru the parking garage. count the number of cars from west virginia. you might be able to do it just w/ your fingers and toes. should we put tolls up coming in this way? i think it would be stupid, because those people help fuel our economy (what we have of one at least. :laugh: ). maybe you should think abou that aspect of it.

Yes, they do fuel your economy. But how do suppose that you all are fueling ours?

Again, I know some come here eat or do shopping or whatever. But the cost incurred is far more than what we get in return.

Major ~

As a matter of fact, I DO drive to DC everyday and have to pay tolls along the way in order to get there in a timely fashion. Or I have to pay for public transportation. That's the price I have to pay to work in the field that I want to and make the money I want to make without having to live right in the city. And why do I have to pay the tolls? Because the people that live in Fairfax County aren't going to foot the bill for people in Loudoun and other surrounding areas to benefit from using those roads without helping out with the expense.

To answer your question, a commuter tax on top of tolls would be a bit ridiculous. But that's not what I'm proposing here. I'm just asking for a toll road on Rt.9, Rt. 7 and Rt. 15 and Rt.50. Gives us a little bit extra to take care of the road situation without gauging.

And it's not a matter of wanting to live in Loudoun because it's the richest county in the country. That's where I was born and raised and it's where my family is. Before it was built up and had "everything" people were looking for, there was still a major influx before this recent boom. Loudoun can't help that geographically, it is close to the nation's capital.

How do you feel about illegal immigration? Do you like paying for their benefits when they bring nothing to the table? I know it's a different topic, but I think (I hope) you see where I'm going with this.

i see what you mean. and really, i'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here. but just realize that people from here putting a strain on the people there is not a one way street.

as far as the illegal immigration thing, i see the connection that you are trying to make. i'd rather not go there.

kind of like i don't like my taxes being raised because of all the people that move here from where you live. it works both ways.
Why don't you all just build a wall across the Appalachians and keep out of each others' business?

Everyone on either side feels like it's the other guy's fault, but the truth is that these kinds of things tend to even out in the end - it's simple economics. If the developers in Loudon don't get the kind of deal they want from the county, they'll build in West Virginia, but since the jobs will still be in Tysons Corner, people will be clogging up the roads. Government spending will increase in both places, as will government revenue. People will find the best deal for them, and everyone will maximize their earnings.

It might be simpler if we all lived in self-contained little communities where our tax dollars only paid for things that we used ourselves, but when people are able to move freely, it tends to make more money for everyone. It's the magic of the free market. :2cents:

...and that's true of immigration as well. ;)

Archived