Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Duckett will shine!

Bozman777

Just a prediction of mine. I believe with Portis going on IR, this gives Duckett a chance to show what a big back can do to opposing defenses. I for one think this has been missing from our offense for a long time. A back that can hit defenses and tire them. I realize Betts will get the majority of work but at least give this guy some touches. Just a hunch but I feel he will take this opportunity and show the coaches and the fans what we were missing with a big back not taking some snaps! :2cents:

I have said that I respect Portis as a running back, but I don't want him on my team. That is why I think, if the Redskins utilize Duckett and Betts and the running game properly, they want have a setback. It is so funny how people feel the only person who can run this offense is Portis. Example's of players that took over system's and shined Johnson-Holmes, Brady-Bledsoe, Romo sits to pee-Bledsoe, Manning-Warner, Rivers-Brees, and even Leftwich-Brunell. Just because you replace one of your players doesn't mean that you take a step back. Now if some of you Brunell lover's will stop focusing on his absense and focus on Campbell's arrival, maybe we can win some game's and get this thing to 6-6. Then who know's what can happen.

Why? He is a playmaker, he is the best player on the team.

I agree he is a playmaker but ever since he came into the league he has ended the season injured. He has been here three years and our offense averages like 16 points. I love playmakers but if your playmaker stays hurt he does you no good.

I agree he is a playmaker but ever since he came into the league he has ended the season injured.

HE GETS THE BALL OVER 300 TIMES IN 5 MONTHS WITH 11 250+ POUND GUYS CHASING AFTER HIM TRYING TO KILL HIM EVERY PLAY!!!

IF HE WASNT INJURED AT THE END OF EVERY YEAR HE WOULD HAVE TO BE FREAKING SUPER MAN

I have said that I respect Portis as a running back, but I don't want him on my team. That is why I think, if the Redskins utilize Duckett and Betts and the running game properly, they want have a setback. It is so funny how people feel the only person who can run this offense is Portis. Example's of players that took over system's and shined Johnson-Holmes, Brady-Bledsoe, Romo sits to pee-Bledsoe, Manning-Warner, Rivers-Brees, and even Leftwich-Brunell. Just because you replace one of your players doesn't mean that you take a step back. Now if some of you Brunell lover's will stop focusing on his absense and focus on Campbell's arrival, maybe we can win some game's and get this thing to 6-6. Then who know's what can happen.

hmmm, 5 out of 6 of the examples you gave for players who had been replaced contained players who were washed up/the replacements were better. That isn't the case here.

Duckett is not a good back. Find me the back that was drafted in the first round, given up on by the team that drafted him (yes the Falcons gave up on him, and he was going to be demoted to the third string and most probably cut when they traded), but didn't have an injury issue with his first team that has ever turned out to be good. Thomas Jones, I think, is going to be your best argument, and the Bears would love to replace him.

Also, the Saunder's offense is not a big back offense. The people that have run this, Faulk, Holmes, and LJ, all have had serious speed. It is a run outside offense, and theRB plays an important role in the passing game. Duckett cannot run outside and has never been effective in the passing game (he is not Alstott).

That said, I expect Duckett will play pretty well simply because he is fresh and the defenses he will be playing against are not. It will be a HUGE mistake to take Duckett's play this year as any indication of his actual ability. This is a guy that avg. 3.1 yards/carry last year, while Dunn avg. ~5 yards/carry

I've always been a Duckett fan, and I'm a Betts fan and a HUGE CP fan, so I've been in a tough spot all year with this.

All Duckett has done in the games is produce. Hopefully he gets to do more of that, he and Betts are auditioning for eachothers jobs. They have very different strengths though.

Also, the Saunder's offense is not a big back offense. The people that have run this, Faulk, Holmes, and LJ, all have had serious speed. It is a run outside offense, and theRB plays an important role in the passing game. Duckett cannot run outside and has never been effective in the passing game (he is not Alstott).

That said, I expect Duckett will play pretty well simply because he is fresh and the defenses he will be playing against are not. It will be a HUGE mistake to take Duckett's play this year as any indication of his actual ability. This is a guy that avg. 3.1 yards/carry last year, while Dunn avg. ~5 yards/carry

Haha that was a decent post until the part where you said LJ and Holmes have serious speed. Come on LJ hardly has breakaway wheels and Holmes was all juke no top speed - great back, but not great speed. CP has speed. LT has speed. Willie Parker has speed.

Duckett was hurt last year btw (high ankle sprain - you saw how CP played with it). If you look at his non-injury games he averages much more than the 3.1 ypc - And he has had injury problems, so I guess who knows.

Scouts still love TJ, loved him before and he would be starting on at least 9 teams. If you don't think that Atlanta fans wish they had TJ back right now, yer crazy. Have you seen their running game lately?

He just not a natural RB though I think, its all power with TJ, no vision to speak of.

Then again Ladell has no vision either.

Example's of players that took over system's and shined Johnson-Holmes, Brady-Bledsoe, Romo sits to pee-Bledsoe, Manning-Warner, Rivers-Brees, and even Leftwich-Brunell. Just because you replace one of your players doesn't mean that you take a step back.

You know when all those guys got replaced? When they were in their 30s and were essentially breaking down physically. In this case, Portis isn't having that type of breakdown but he does take MUCH more wear and tear that many backs in the league.

Portis is NOT the type of back that should be carrying the ball as much as he does... but all things considered he does a fantastic job of it. He's built for speed and its just an added bonus that he's as tough as he is. I'm not sure how you would think that getting rid of him is a good idea. We already HAVE the depth in case he gets hurt, so whats the harm in keeping a back with 3 1500 yard rushing seasons in his 5 years in the league?

I've always been a Duckett fan, and I'm a Betts fan and a HUGE CP fan, so I've been in a tough spot all year with this.

All Duckett has done in the games is produce. Hopefully he gets to do more of that, he and Betts are auditioning for eachothers jobs. They have very different strengths though.

Haha that was a decent post until the part where you said LJ and Holmes have serious speed. Come on LJ hardly has breakaway wheels and Holmes was all juke no top speed - great back, but not great speed. CP has speed. LT has speed. Willie Parker has speed.

Duckett was hurt last year btw (high ankle sprain - you saw how CP played with it). If you look at his non-injury games he averages much more than the 3.1 ypc - And he has had injury problems, so I guess who knows.

Scouts still love TJ, loved him before and he would be starting on at least 9 teams. If you don't think that Atlanta fans wish they had TJ back right now, yer crazy. Have you seen their running game lately?

He just not a natural RB though I think, its all power with TJ, no vision to speak of.

Then again Ladell has no vision either.

Him in Duckett are not really competing for one anothers job. If you have Duckett, you need somebody that can play on 3rd down. If you have an every down back and want a 3rd down back, then you don't want Duckett. I don't know why, but there seems to be an assumption by the Redskins that Portis is not good as a receiver. If that is the case, then keeping Duckett makes no sense if you bring back Portis.

If Duckett was a really good back, he would have won the starting job in Atlanta at some point in time instead of being shipped out of town.

You named the three fastest backs in the NFL. That does not mean they were/are not fast. Just for starters, both of them are much faster than Duckett and Betts.

Him in Duckett are not really competing for one anothers job. If you have Duckett, you need somebody that can play on 3rd down. If you have an every down back and want a 3rd down back, then you don't want Duckett. I don't know why, but there seems to be an assumption by the Redskins that Portis is not good as a receiver. If that is the case, then keeping Duckett makes no sense if you bring back Portis.

If Duckett was a really good back, he would have won the starting job in Atlanta at some point in time instead of being shipped out of town.

You named the three fastest backs in the NFL. That does not mean they were/are not fast. Just for starters, both of them are much faster than Duckett and Betts.

Duckett was shipped out of ATL b/c he doesnt fit their zone running scheme...He is a downhill bruiser he's led them in rushing TD's last 2yrs...

The reason Betts is the 3rd down back isnt b/c the Skins think Portis is a bad receiver but that Betts is a better receiver out of the backfield...

The mis-conception about Duckett is that he doesnt have good vision, cant run outside...He does in fact have good vision, and he is deceptively fast for such a big man...I cant wait to see TJ running a toss right w/Sellers and Thomas leading him around the edge!

You say Portis should not carry the ball that often. Well, when the skins brought in someone to help Portis out, he started complaining that he was a forceful back and that he could do by himself. Now look at him. Every stinkin year this dude complains about something and finds himself hurt in the end. He ****ed the whole year, "I shouldn't have to take the pounding I do". When you asked for the boat load of the money, don't start saying I can't do everything. Now my whole argument was not that we would be better off with Duckett and Betts, my opinion was that I would have never brought Portis here. The problem is alot of you guys just except every move the Redskins make and when it doesn't work you start thinking of how to correct it instead of wondering why in the hell they made that move in the first place. Just like drafting Carlos Rogers because you needed a cornerback. They overlooked Shawn Merriman because they had LaVar Arrington, a year later no Arrington and no Merriman. Roger's looks like crap and now we still need a cornerback and linebacker. On losing to the Patriots 41-0 in the preseason, everyone could see that Archuleta could not cover a tight end, yet it took them 9 weeks to realized this.

The mis-conception about Duckett is that he doesnt have good vision, cant run outside...He does in fact have good vision, and he is deceptively fast for such a big man...I cant wait to see TJ running a toss right w/Sellers and Thomas leading him around the edge!

If this is the case, Duckett would be a really good runner. He would have multiple seasons over 1,000 yards, but he has 0 yards over 1,000 yards, and many teams would have been eager to get him. The Falcons only switched to a zone blocking scheme last year.

You don't take a back in the first round if you don't want/hope he will be a #1 back. Duckett never could fill that role. He is one dimensional and has limited ability.

I had the privilege of watching Duckett every Sunday while he was with Atlanta and I think he's a great #2. His catching skills are okay but in Atlanta they saved the screens for Dunn because he’s better at catching coming off the block. He's also limited with his blocking but I'm sure they've been working on all of those issues. However, that doesn't matter at the goal line where he is a BEAST. How many tries did we have at the goal line against Dallas? It was ridiculous that TJ wasn't in there on at least one try. I can't wait to see the combination of Betts, TJ, and Sellers on Sunday. If properly schemed, we should have above average rushing yards.

Tampa's fromt line is small in size b/c they emphasize speed instead of size. Our guys are huge and with 2 backs (TJ and Sellers) over 250+ coming at them, they're going to be worn out by the middle of the 3rd half. With a proper running game, our defense can remain fresh and get those very needed 3-and-outs and turnovers. :bucsuck:

Hail to the Redskins!

I really hope so, I've been missing this guy all year, it should have been him and Portis. I love Betts and think he's a great back, but Duckett was the other guy we should have used more because he's so different then Portis...maybe now they'll give him the ball, he's a beast and a short yardage machine.

I had the privilege of watching Duckett every Sunday while he was with Atlanta and I think he's a great #2. His catching skills are okay but in Atlanta thy saved the screens for Dunn because he’s a better at catching coming off the block. He's also limited with his blocking but I'm sure they've been working on all of those issues. However, that doesn't matter at the goal line where he is a BEAST. How many tries did we have at the goal line against Dallas? It was ridiculous that TJ wasn't in there on at least one try. I can't wait to see the combination of Betts, TJ, and Sellers on Sunday. If properly schemed, we should have above average rushing yards.

Tampa's fromt line is small in size b/c they emphasize speed instead of size. Our guys are huge and with 2 backs (TJ and Sellers) over 250+ coming at them, they're going to be worn out by the middle of the 3rd half. with a proper running game, our defense can remain fresh and get those very needed 3-and-outs and turnovers. :bucssuck:

Hail to the Redskins!

SO TRUE...Sellers and Duckett should both get a lot more carries, at least as much between the both of them as Betts does. Sellers and Duckett have both excelled in their extremely limited roles carrying the ball this year. Our o-line excells at running plays right up the middle...obviously thats what these two guys are good at.

Archived