Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

1 hour ago, superozman said:

Playoff Uniforms - no, no, no, no, no.  (Not meant to be disrespectful to your idea).  As a superstitious former athlete, no!  Wear what got you there!  LOL

The idea is cool, but I agree. 

The coolest recent example of "wear what got you there" that I remember was the 2005 Steelers. They made the Super Bowl as the 6-seed so they played 3 road games to get there. Despite it being the AFC's turn to be the home team in the Super Bowl, they wore their road whites...I loved that. 

2 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

I still think the absolute coolest thing for a team to do would be "Playoff Uniforms"

Souped up versions of their uniforms that they don't get to wear until they make it to the post season.  Talk about an untappedgold mine, why isn't this a thing?

Also, Throwback uniforms should just be assigned to the week when your team plays Thursday Night Football.  Throwback Thursdays, the marketing writes itself!

I also think, at a minimum, all Thanksgiving games should be throwback jerseys. We have the Dallas and Detroit tradition...why not keep that as a complete throwback weekend where all the games (Thursday through Monday Night) are league-wide throwbacks? 

• Like 1

We are wearing burgundy jerseys on thanksgiving, per cowboys reporters.  They were right when they said the cowboys would be wearing blue before the redskins announced the white at the game at Fedex.

Texans (H) - Throwbacks

Cowboys (A) - Burgundy - per Cowboys Twitter reporters

Eagles (A) - ? (Although I'd expect the all black eagles alternates, so white)

Giants (H) - Burgundy - per Giants uniform sched

Jaguars (A) - ?

Titans (A) -  ?

Eagles (H) - Burgundy, Assumption.

This would be sort of a change. Dallas has worn their blue jerseys on Thanksgiving every year except one, since 2009.

38 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

This would be sort of a change. Dallas has worn their blue jerseys on Thanksgiving every year except one, since 2009.

Yup.  Which was vs us in 2015.

However, they wore blue at home due to the "throwback uniform" through 2012.  Then without being able to wear their throwback uniform, this was the "blue at home" game.  in 2015 they used the all white throwback uni with the silver helmet, then reverted back to blue at home for tgiving.  With NFL not mandating color rush for any specific game - they may be doing the all white color rush uni?

Edited by superozman

On 11/16/2018 at 10:05 AM, superozman said:

Problem is, some teams don't wear throwbacks because of the 1 helmet rule.

The team should take a page out of the Nascar playbook and wrap their helmets. Call up Joe Gibbs and ask his team how to do it properly, which companies are great with design. Or simply outsource it to JGR, let them do the logistics. 

All those unique car designs for nascar are wraps not actual paint.

So since teams can only have one helmet, and we all know the logic behind that is bunk because the science doesn't back it up, then wrap the single one and only helmet any which way you want. 

Do a standard burgandy one, a retro yellow, a true gold, get that leather helmet back in rotation. 

That retro leather helmet they unveiled years ago would be perfectly suited for wraps. 

Once it was shown to work and would satisfy the one helmet rule, it would be up to the league to allow it for all teams, and the teams would decide how many different combinations they'd want.

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2018 at 8:27 AM, SkinsFanPA said:

The Rams wore all yellow (gold?) last night, and it didn't look horrible....why can't we try that for a color rush choice?  gold uniforms with burgundy trim?  That might look pretty good...

It was horrible. It would be horrible......

The skins are in a bad place right now and they need any boost they can get, People will laugh at me for suggesting a uniform change could provide any boost but I'd disagree. The psychology behind changing uniforms has proven successful before from the bucs to the broncos to the Giants and the Patriots. The Gold on Gold is hideous but at this point (our lowest of the season) F It, why not.

I'd be up for a uniform change if it came with a change in the front office (or ownership) as a symbol of a fresh start. Otherwise, just wear the classic burgundy/white look (sorry to those that loved the gold pants and/or wanted to see the gold jerseys). Bust out the occasional throwback, maybe changing it up from season to season. As much as I dig the current throwback jersey, I wouldn't mind seeing 72-78 uniform. And if the NFL would change the one helmet rule or find some way to wrap them up differently for a game, then bring back either of the 60s looks (feather or spear helmet).

20 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

The team should take a page out of the Nascar playbook and wrap their helmets.

Many people, including me (Said in this thread before), the helmet is part cya safey - but really for their branding.  There were tweets and comments galore when people didn't know what teams were playing, when the Eagles wore yellow/light blue, Jets dark blue/gold, packers brown/blue broncos brown/yellow, etc.  Which is also why I believe teams are limited to 3 pants.  The branding is easier when the colors are the same.

the helmet is part cya safey

Right, but it's not, as I'm sure you know as well. As you said, "cover your (their) ass."

There is no definitive science to back up the claim that the use of one single helmet is any better at preventing head trauma than using multiple helmets. Even if the player uses the exact same brand and model of helmet, just with a different paint scheme, the NFL wants people to believe that safety is compromised. Doesn't pass the smell test.

The only factor that is relevant is QC in the manufacturing of the helmet and the physics behind the collisions, which has spawned a whole sector of independent helmet makers. It's not hard to pull up the findings on which helmets test best on those collision test. And there's tons of hybrid helmets flooding the market today.

I believe Shawn Springs runs a company that R&Ds helmet safety and production. I remember getting a promotional email or something about his work. 

- but really for their branding.

Well then it has to be the league itself with that mandate, because the team's themselves are never reticent about the opportunity to make money. I can't think of one team which would like to miss an opportunity to market retro gear to the next new generation of fans who didn't know their team once wore uniforms of such a different design and color. 

Like that Pats retro design and gear, they probably couldn't have gotten rid of it faster to forget the 80s and early 90s of disappointment. But as soon as they got good first under Parcells and then Belichick, they damn sure marketed the hell out of it, and damn sure people bought it. 

That stuff always seems to sell well on that  5 to 10, to 15 year interval timescale. 

I just can't see how retro lines of gear to accompany retro uniform throwbacks is somehow bad for team branding. Fans know who they are buying stuff from. 

Am I supposed to believe that millions of fans are going to mistakenly purchase another team's gear because of "color crossover contamination?"

I guess I just don't quite conceptualize the underlying reasoning, not that I'm confused on your argument. 

But regardless, the convo just shifted away from helmets, specifically to uniforms and colors. I mean the crux of it is that team's should be able to alter the paint scheme and sticker scheme of their helmets, if they want to, because all that matters is the quality of production of the helmet itself, not the colors. 

*I understand well all the points you've brought up, I'm well read on the subject. 

1 hour ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I believe Shawn Springs runs a company that R&Ds helmet safety and production. I remember getting a promotional email or something about his work. 

Well then it has to be the league itself with that mandate, because the team's themselves are never reticent about the opportunity to make money.

Shawn Springs is in that commercial about that company now!  Probably can catch it on youtube.

From my understanding (tried to find links to solid info, but its scarce), the teams do want to market and all of that.  Google Jeffrey Laurie and his push for the kelly green Eagles, its the NFL that's stopping it.  Sorry if I wasn't clear on the roles of the NFL vs the teams.  

And I agree - not sure why the league would think its an issue to brand these overall - however, i do remember some of the feedback at the time when particularly the eagles wore their blue/yellow uniforms.  people really didnt know who was playing at first.  (Part time fans, obviously).

• 9 months later...

Since I love uniform variations, I have to bring alive this thread for 2019.  I do my best to figure out what jerseys we will be wearing.  Here is the schedule as of now, and any "Burgundy" could be the throwbacks, typically announced that week.  (UPDATE AFTER COMPLETING POST:  This is crap!  Last year we knew way more unis based on other teams posts!)

1.  Eagles - A -  White (Because they wore white)

2.  Cowboys - H - White (Love they did this again vs the cowboys) (Because they wore it)

3.  Bears - H - 

4.  Giants - A - White (Via Giants Twitter) 

5.  Patriots - H

6.  Dolphins - A 

7.  49ers - H

8.  Vikings - A

9.  Bills - A

10.  Jets - H

11.  Lions - H

12.  Panthers - A - White (Via Panthers Twitter

13.  Packers - A

14.  Eagles - H

15.  Giants - H - Burgundy (Via giants twitter)

16.  Cowboys - A - Burgundy (Via bloggingtheboys.com)

Teams that do uniform Schedules:  Giants, Panthers, Bears (home only), Rams, Broncos, Cowboys, Browns, Falcons, Broncos, Chargers, Bengals

32 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

So looks like skins are going with burgundy jerseys tonight. Does that mean gold pants for tonight, or white? 

The post oddly avoided the pants.  Which means it's either white, or people don't realize I exist, a full uniform nerd, and care what they wear before the game starts!  LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone think that Allen has dropped the yellow/gold pants because it reminds him of the 'Kurt Cousins' era? He's a horribly vindictive person, so it wouldn't surprise me. It also wouldn't surprise me if he thinks the fanbase feels the same way, and is still somehow traumatized by Coursins' asking to be paid what he's worth, so much so that he thinks dropping the yellow pants is actually what the fans want. Wrong on that one, I think it's their best look...the white pants are too bland.

16 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Does anyone think that Allen has dropped the yellow/gold pants because it reminds him of the 'Kurt Cousins' era? He's a horribly vindictive person, so it wouldn't surprise me. It also wouldn't surprise me if he thinks the fanbase feels the same way, and is still somehow traumatized by Coursins' asking to be paid what he's worth, so much so that he thinks dropping the yellow pants is actually what the fans want. Wrong on that one, I think it's their best look...the white pants are too bland.

The only thing you're right about there is the white pants being to bland

Can't please them all, I remember this thread being full of people who hated the mustard pants. I personally liked them, but to each his own.

In the meantime, the Vikings are going full grape on us. The NFL probably expects us to go as mustard bottles, but we'll go as the mayo jars. I hate the mustard bottles.

Hate our all white uniforms, looks like practice.  Yellow, yes, yellow not gold, pants I can take or leave.  Feel like we need a revamp of some sort.

Right now, my favorite NFL uniforms, other than our's because it is still my team even with the emperor that has no clothes...

1.  Buffalo Bills - when they ditched the red and went back to their classic look, it pops.  Looks great.

2.  New Orleans Saints - IN White, the white and gold with black outline with gold helmet, great look.

3.  Minnesota Vikings - Can't say I will love the all grape look but their normal look is great mainly because I love the matte finish helmet.

36 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

Yellow, yes, yellow not gold

No

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_(color)

https://encycolorpedia.com/ffd700

And before someone else says "Well the link says it's a shade of yellow, so I'm right!" No... You're not. Burgundy is a shade of red. We don't wear red jerseys, Jim.... We wear burgundy. The "Gold" you're thinking of is "metallic" gold.

c59eb2e907206998269188af0305585d%20(1).j

This is pure gold.

There is no one shade for any color, so why this is so difficult for people to understand,  I will never know, especially considering it's the same color that's been a part of our color scheme going back at least 50 years. Are we the burgundy and yellow, or the burgundy and gold.

I've gone out of my way several times to explain this in this thread. I shouldn't have to. Its embarrassing 

I miss the gold/yellow/ mustard pants. I know a lot of people ****ed about them... some of them even gave the "We suck in them" BS excuse. Well guess, what we suck no matter what uni combo we wear. Wouldn't mind taking the colors of the current throwback though and making them permanent

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...