Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

This may be more to do with equipment than uniforms, but I was watching the D. Manley Football Life and it seems like the players looked bigger in the team's '80s heyday than they do now. I know most players are bigger physically now, so why did they look bigger back then? I'm thinking the shoulder pads may have been bigger then, and many of the Skins players wore the wider sleeves, rather than the really tight ones they have now. As for the pants, the burgundy with the wide gold and white stripes seems to give the impression their legs were bigger somehow. Any thoughts on this, guys?

This may be more to do with equipment than uniforms, but I was watching the D. Manley Football Life and it seems like the players looked bigger in the team's '80s heyday than they do now. I know most players are bigger physically now, so why did they look bigger back then? I'm thinking the shoulder pads may have been bigger then, and many of the Skins players wore the wider sleeves, rather than the really tight ones they have now. As for the pants, the burgundy with the wide gold and white stripes seems to give the impression their legs were bigger somehow. Any thoughts on this, guys?

The shoulder pads were bigger. The materials they use now doesn't require the equipment to be so bulky in order to protect the player. 

good article

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/sports/football/shoulder-pads-slim-down-in-faster-sleeker-nfl.html?_r=0

A number of factors have contributed to more streamlined shoulder pads: advances in the technology and design of the plastic and foam harnesses; a shift in linemen’s blocking technique toward more permissive use of the hands and a perceived decrease in shoulder-to-shoulder collisions; an ever-increasing emphasis on speed and athleticism; an attempt by players to avoid being grabbed. continued at link

Edited by HogNose

From what I understand, the helmet itself has to be the same piece of equipment for each player, but they are allowed to alter the appearance of the helmet for throwback games by removing the stripes and/or decals.. Green Bay removes the stripes and decals for their throwback games.. I wish we would do the same.

From what I understand, the helmet itself has to be the same piece of equipment for each player, but they are allowed to alter the appearance of the helmet for throwback games by removing the stripes and/or decals.. Green Bay removes the stripes and decals for their throwback games.. I wish we would do the same.

Fair enough. So we're able to make minor changes, just not major ones like we had in 2012 with the cantaloupes?

Uniform colors today looked far better than the standard bright ketchup and mustard stuff.  Would have been nice if the Helmets matched it though.  The muted colors are better, I wish we'd go to them full time. 

Yes. I agree. I liked the faux leather look they used to have. I can't imagine it would cost too much to get somebody to come in and repaint them on Monday for the following week.

As for the one helmet rule, anybody who has played or coached can tell you it's BS. You just get the same model/size helmet, and rip out the velcro pads and stick them in the other one.

• Like 3

Fair enough. So we're able to make minor changes, just not major ones like we had in 2012 with the cantaloupes?

LoL.. I've never heard of the faux leather helmets referred to as cantaloupes, but I like it!  I think those were completely different helmets though. 

I guess they could repaint their helmets for one week to match the throwbacks and then paint them again to match their regular unies, but that's probably not practical.

As Zguy28 pointed out:  the whole "same helmet all year long" thing is BS because all you need to do is get the same size, make, model and swap out the existing pads.  I agree.. teams should be allowed to wear alt helmets with throwbacks.

I LOVE the color of the 80th / 70th throwbacks.  That is the color I wish the team would make a permanent move towards.  Basically, it's the colors of the 70th, but that uniform was far too shiny and had far too much going on.  It was cognitive overload looking at those things, but the colors were cool.

For the 80th, I'm not a fan of the khaki pants.  Can't really say I like "the burgundy and tan".  I like "the burgundy and gold".  Can we just ditch the khakis and rotate between the gold, white, and burgundy pants?

Regarding the helmets, Is it just me, or do the current helmets look better without stripes?  I'd like to see the no stripes look with the regular uniforms.

Regarding the "gold", I like the color worn by Coach Gruden (his hat).  Do that color gold with the dark burgundy of the 70th and 80th, and I think we have a winning combo.

I love that the team (Bruce) brought back gold pants.  It was the right move.  However, the "gold" is too bright, too yellow.  Darken it up just a bit, and make them not so shiny, and voila, we got it.

For reference, here is the hat that CJG wore:

hqdefault.jpg

I love the throwbacks and hope they keep wearing them from time to time (I actually wish they would become the new home uniforms with the white-over-burgundy being the roads, but that won't happen). 

I would make two changes to the throwbacks:

1) Figure out a way to paint the helmets the right color

2) Either remove all decals or replace them with a matching Indian head

Otherwise, I think they are beautiful. 

I 100% agree that the helmets look better without the stripes given this current crop of unis.  The helmets look legit without the stripes.  And, obviously I'm not going to get into it, but I think removing all other "stuff" and leaving the logo on it's own makes the logo look more proper than it being combined with other "decoration" per se.  I love the 80s style unis and are my overall favorite, but having those today is almost impossible to replicate for a variety of reasons like the shirts fitting differently and moving away from the double stripe pants so taking away the triple helmet stripes would be fine to me tomorrow.  The striping on the new nike jerseys barely show up on the shirts thanks to poor design and the sleeves being tighter so the whole need for echoing them on the helmets sort of gets lost anyway.  There are only like 2 players that wear the loose sleeves on our team at this point and those are really the only ones where the yellow and white stripes are visible and benefit from the helmet stripes.  But again, our double stripe pants are gone so triple stripe helmet, non-visible uni stripes, and 9 stripe socks don't benefit from the helmet stripes at this point. 

I also actually like the slightly mismatched burgundy colors despite the fact it's only done because of the rules issues.  I know many won't like it in here, but much like the cowboys white shirt jerseys, their "seafoam green" pants lol not matching with their helmets ever since I read that is one of my favorite details in NFL jerseys currently.  What I realized was, if those cowboys pants matched their helmets, they'd look just like the lions or the colts, and I dunno what it is, but the lions uniform is one of the most boring in all of the NFL, so I think the cowboys look more interesting with that detail. So, the mismatched burgundies actually looks good to me. 

You can't create traditions if you are constantly changing things. Ultimately, we (the organization, team and fans) should go back to a winning tradition. Home, white over burgundy, alternate burgundy over white. This way, whenever Dallas comes to DC they are wearing blue.

• Like 2

As for the one helmet rule, anybody who has played or coached can tell you it's BS. You just get the same model/size helmet, and rip out the velcro pads and stick them in the other one.

This is EXACTLY what I kept saying (and having supposedly shot down by other oosters). Thanks for the affirmation. :-)

This is EXACTLY what I kept saying (and having supposedly shot down by other oosters). Thanks for the affirmation. :-)

No one disagreed with you on this. The point was that the NFL doesn't care that this is true. They want one helmet and one helmet only however asinine anyone, including myself, thinks their rule is.

• Like 1

anyone see the NFL color uni's that the Thursday Night Football games will be played in? Jets are wearing a kelly green and there are a few others, but, in the article I say on reddit, it said all teams will have an alternate color uniform in 2016. Link to article below, but has anyone seen what the Redskins uni would be?  I am guessing our gold color, but who knows.  The Jags feature their gold color and Panthers feature the blue.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Color-Jets-Thursday-Night-FootballKelly-Green/7f0c597f-b137-4afe-bbb7-03a98c9e3024

anyone see the NFL color uni's that the Thursday Night Football games will be played in? Jets are wearing a kelly green and there are a few others, but, in the article I say on reddit, it said all teams will have an alternate color uniform in 2016. Link to article below, but has anyone seen what the Redskins uni would be?  I am guessing our gold color, but who knows.  The Jags feature their gold color and Panthers feature the blue.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Color-Jets-Thursday-Night-FootballKelly-Green/7f0c597f-b137-4afe-bbb7-03a98c9e3024

I wondered what ours would be too.  I wouldn't mind a gold jersey if it were done tastefully and paired with our red pants.  I think all these match-ups feature monochrome uni combos though.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone know if the redskins will put out nikejerseys in 3x? (other than rg3).

I'm a big guy, 6'5 250 pounds and was super excited to see they are selling nike ST jerseys, but unfortunately only up to 2x, which would like a crop top on me

Have you tried making a 21 custom jersey and just putting Taylor on the back? That might allow larger sizes