Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

Speaking of uniforms, were the Yorks drunk when they okayed that hideous black on black abomination in SF?

If they were going to go altenate they should have dolled back out the white pants with red and black trim (one of the best unis of the 90's)

deion.jpg

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Surprised the Jets came out in all white this Sunday

They are one of the teams that sometimes where white at home i've noticed.  Miami/Jax/TB do sometimes because of the heat i assume.  NO has done it.  Philly has done it.  Carolina does it.  Obviously Dallas does. 

Edited by superozman

^^They should take the logo off the sides since they took the stripes off and the throwbacks may look better.

I've never understood the purpose of the "one" helmet rule.  I know it has to do with concussions, but what is the difference.  A player is comfortable with a certain type of helmet (mask, pads, design).  If he has Type A with his regular helmet, then he'll choose Type A for his throwback helmet.  Meaning, it's the same damn helmet with different colors and logos on them.

What if a player busts his helmet?  It's the same thing. switching to another helmet that is exactly like the one he wore.

Someone explain to me why they don't want them to wear multiple helmets.

^^They should take the logo off the sides since they took the stripes off and the throwbacks may look better.

I've never understood the purpose of the "one" helmet rule.  I know it has to do with concussions, but what is the difference.  A player is comfortable with a certain type of helmet (mask, pads, design).  If he has Type A with his regular helmet, then he'll choose Type A for his throwback helmet.  Meaning, it's the same damn helmet with different colors and logos on them.

What if a player busts his helmet?  It's the same thing. switching to another helmet that is exactly like the one he wore.

Someone explain to me why they don't want them to wear multiple helmets.

It's the NFL's risk aversion to concussion litigation.  If for some reason down the road, it is discovered that using one helmet during a season, versus multiple helmets, reduces concussion chances, then the NFL will reduce it's odds of litigation.  Totally a CYA move.

It's the NFL's risk aversion to concussion litigation.  If for some reason down the road, it is discovered that using one helmet during a season, versus multiple helmets, reduces concussion chances, then the NFL will reduce it's odds of litigation.  Totally a CYA move.

Is the rule just one helmet, or just one style of helmet?

I ask because when I played in college we had just one style, but our practice helmets weren't the game helmets. Also, helmets got broken quite often which meant you'd have more than one helmet per season, typically. So, I'm not sure this would really be about continuity in wearing the same exact helmet.

Does anyone know for sure?

I ask because when I played in college we had just one style, but our practice helmets weren't the game helmets. Also, helmets got broken quite often which meant you'd have more than one helmet per season, typically. So, I'm not sure this would really be about continuity in wearing the same exact helmet.

If you get a concussion during the season and want to change helmets to try a "safer" (if there is such a thing) helmet, I don't think they'd stop you. For some reason, they just don't want teams to have multiple color helmets.

If you get a concussion during the season and want to change helmets to try a "safer" (if there is such a thing) helmet, I don't think they'd stop you. For some reason, they just don't want teams to have multiple color helmets.

That's what I thought. And when I said we "had one style" I meant color and trim scheme, not helmet brand. We could always have the equipment guys swap out the brand if we didn't like what we were wearing. I'm thinking it's only a restriction on the way they look, and the restriction has nothing to do with concussion protocol.

That's what I thought. And when I said we "had one style" I meant color and trim scheme, not helmet brand. We could always have the equipment guys swap out the brand if we didn't like what we were wearing. I'm thinking it's only a restriction on the way they look, and the restriction has nothing to do with concussion protocol.

You're more than likely correct. It's also the same reason players can't wear socks a certain way or certain color cleats, etc. It's just the NFL making rules to make rules.

The NFL's restriction is not one style of helmet, but actual helmet.  Players can only wear one physical helmet during each season.  This why you see us wearing our regular helmets with our throwbacks, or why you don't see the Tampa or New England throwbacks any longer.  This is done completely for concussion protocol, not for ****s and giggles.

There are excpetions of course, like a player changing teams in-season or a helmet actually getting busted (yes, it happens).

Edited by StephenB

The NFL's restriction is not one style of helmet, but actual helmet.  Players can only wear one physical helmet during each season.  This why you see us wearing our regular helmets with our throwbacks, or why you don't see the Tampa or New England throwbacks any longer.  This is done completely for concussion protocol, not for ****s and giggles.

There are excpetions of course, like a player changing teams in-season or a helmet actually getting busted (yes, it happens).

Doesn't seem feasible. As I mentioned in my first post, helmets get broken fairly regularly. So if this was the rule, what are players supposed to do when one breaks? Go all Knute Rockne? Also, how could the league actually enforce that rule? Seems a bit much.

I looked it up - the Safety Committee recommends that players wear just one helmet "to help prevent concussions that can occur when helmets are not properly fitted."

That's funny because when you break a helmet and get a new one, you get fitted. I'm assuming pro teams would ensure that players get fitted for new helmets, including different helmets worn with throwbacks. Just makes sense right?

Doesn't seem feasible. As I mentioned in my first post, helmets get broken fairly regularly. So if this was the rule, what are players supposed to do when one breaks? Go all Knute Rockne?

Of course not. A helmet breaks, you get a new one. That has nothing to do with the rule. The rule is meant to minimize helmet usage as much as possible. Most players do not break their helmet during the course of the season. And even if a player broke one, the lack of a throwback helmet could very well mean one less helmet being worn during the season. When a player sues the league 30 years from now, the league can say they took the highest precautions by limiting helmet usage.

I don't like the rule either, but it is what is it for the very reasons I've mentioned earlier. I'm not just making this stuff up. If it weren't valid, wouldn't we have seen the Tampa Creamsicles or the Pat Patriot helmet over the last three seasons?. Throwback unis equal jersey sales and more revenue. The NFL doesn't give up a single dollar unless they believe it could cost them more it the future.

Edited by StephenB

Of course not. A helmet breaks, you get a new one. That has nothing to do with the rule. The rule is meant to minimize helmet usage as much as possible. Most players do not break their helmet during the course of the season. And even if a player broke one, the lack of a throwback helmet could very well mean one less helmet being worn during the season. When a player sues the league 30 years from now, the league can say they took the highest precautions by limiting helmet usage.

I don't like the rule either, but it is what is it for the very reasons I've mentioned earlier. I'm not just making this stuff up. If it weren't valid, wouldn't we have seen the Tampa Creamsicles or the Pat Patriot helmet over the last three seasons?. Throwback unis equal jersey sales and more revenue. The NFL doesn't give up a single dollar unless they believe it could cost them more it the future.

Pssst - it's not a rule... yet

I like the idea of repainting the lids too, but I found this from a UniWatch/ESPN interview with an NFL equipment manager on the whole helmet thing...

UW: Many fans and readers have asked me, "Why can't they just paint their helmets to the throwback color and then paint them back to the regular color the week after that?"

EG: That might have worked in the past, with some of the old paints they used to use. When I first started here, we would go around on Sunday after a game, pick out the helmets that needed a new paint job, and then on Monday morning we'd send 'em to a local reconditioner who'd paint 'em and get 'em back to us by Tuesday afternoon, and they'd be ready to go. But the paint on today's helmets -- at least for our team -- takes four to five days to cure. The hardening agent in the paint takes longer to set up. And you need the helmets back by Wednesday, to practice in.

It sounds like it would be an issue more so for the week leading up to the throwbacks versus the bye week afterwards.

• Like 1

^^ Interesting.  I wonder if there's a difference between the glossy paint that gets used for the original design and the throwbacks though.  Seemed like our throwbacks were matte, maybe different timeline for different paint types?

If my memory serves me correctly, our throwback helmet was actually a textured wrap type substance that was adhered to the helmets.  I looked for an article that detailed how it was done, but I can't find anything.

• Like 1