Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

That's how I was feeling with the white on burgundy.  I was glad for the gold pants change up, and I want them to stay in the rotation.  But... the burgundy pants need to come back.

Drop the 80th, and go with burgundy, gold, and white pants, and burgundy, gold, and white jerseys.

Lol you know, "SKINS" up the side of the leg in place of stripes...so tight

While we are at it, we should have 3 jersey options with main color: burgundy, gold and white and pants that have those same main color options. All are disfigure exactly the same just changing the colors out. That way you can mix and match any top and bottom and they all look match stripes and content and fit together.

As long as 80s sheik is in that look (or something close), I'm down.

I think I disagree with y'all over the new vs. classic look, but I agree about using burgundy / gold / white for pants and jerseys.

I think this alt uniform would be pretty awesome:

5fe01ed3.png

Of course, knowing the Redskins, the gold jersey would end up look like this on the field:

5177383510_8e45f8f765_o.jpg

White pants with burgundy and gold stripes, not spaced, and burgundy top with white yellow numbers.

But gotta say I'm partial to the 80's look; maybe because we won with that look, but it just looks right.

These strange color schemes, butt-ugly yellow pants, and the photo [ post 7204 Diesel Hog ] looks like they had a mustard and ketchup fight in the cafeteria.

You know, now that I get a good look at it, they need to space out the stripes on the helmet. They're just a little too close now.

Prior to the early 90s, the white helmet stripes were 1/2" wide and hence larger spacing between stripes.  Today, the white stripes are 3/4" and come closer to the middle gold stripe.

White pants with burgundy and gold stripes, not spaced, and burgundy top with white yellow numbers.

But gotta say I'm partial to the 80's look; maybe because we won with that look, but it just looks right.

These strange color schemes, butt-ugly yellow pants, and the photo [ post 7204 Diesel Hog ] looks like they had a mustard and ketchup fight in the cafeteria.

I love ketchup and mustard!  I'm going to have some on my burger tonight.

• Like 1

Maybe its my blinded vision, but it seems to me that since we started wearing those yellow or gold or whatever color pants they are, the team in general has been playing poorer. Sorry, its just not a look I can embrace.

Hell, if anything, play a few games in the 80's or retro look as some would call it and see how its accepted. Maybe the pigment in the yellow oxide used to color the pants weighs more and it slows them down? :ph34r:

I love ketchup and mustard!  I'm going to have some on my burger tonight.

Yea, it appears the other 31 teams comes to feast on the colors as well...

What I don't get, is why the NFL has such a huge problem with multiple jersey combinations. They don't realize that is free marketing for them and the team and they lose money on jersey sales.

Why not let teams have 4 jerseys and 3 pants? As long as you declare as the home team, what combination you are wearing before the season, you should be good. That gives the visiting team time to get their combination together.

It's baffling to me why the NFL is so strict.

• Like 1

What I don't get, is why the NFL has such a huge problem with multiple jersey combinations. They don't realize that is free marketing for them and the team and they lose money on jersey sales.

Why not let teams have 4 jerseys and 3 pants? As long as you declare as the home team, what combination you are wearing before the season, you should be good. That gives the visiting team time to get their combination together.

It's baffling to me why the NFL is so strict.

The NFL does this because they want one brand or image for the fans to associate each team with.  If each team had 4 or 5 jerseys, then the fans wouldn't have one unified brand to easily identify each team with, or latch on to.

The league does allow teams to have one alternate (more revenue via jersey sales), but each team is limited to wearing them only twice per year to reinforce that consistent brand.  They want fans to be able to see a jersey at a sports bar and immediately be able to identify it as X team.

It seems strict and maybe unnecessary to some, but it reinforces each of the 32 brands.

I'm one of the few people I've ever seen on here that actually liked the all-burgundy getup. I know, throw your stones. But I liked it. I know for some the solid color thing is too college, but I've always been of the opinion that (minus crap like Oregon's 115,000 uniforms and Maryland's trash look, to name a couple bad ones that everyone here is probably familiar with due to media saturation or locale) college by and large is way ahead of the NFL in terms of cool, sleek football uniforms. And I don't mean the kiddish "make everything black" crap that people seem to associate with college uniforms...I just mean there are a lot of really cool, slick, clean cut college uniforms that make a lot of the old school, traditional, historical, and/or conservative NFL uniforms look horrible. The NFL could learn a thing or two from the college game in this regard, and I'm sure some of it has to do with the companies designing the uniforms for the league compared to college. 

• Like 1

The NFL does this because they want one brand or image for the fans to associate each team with. If each team had 4 or 5 jerseys, then the fans wouldn't have one unified brand to easily identify each team with, or latch on to.

The league does allow teams to have one alternate (more revenue via jersey sales), but each team is limited to wearing them only twice per year to reinforce that consistent brand. They want fans to be able to see a jersey at a sports bar and immediately be able to identify it as X team.

It seems strict and maybe unnecessary to some, but it reinforces each of the 32 brands.

Meanwhile, they lose tons of money. The NFL is easily identifiable as are the teams. I'm not saying they need to go Oregon/Maryland with their combos, but for instance, you can only have 2 colors of pants. Why? I'd love for us to wear the gold, burgundy and white, but we can't wear the burgundy. It doesn't make sense to limit things.

Edited by pjfootballer

When it comes to unis ... two "classics" immediately stick in my mind: Notre Dame and Michigan.

Its all about the headgear.

Skins just gotta change their Helmet design.

BTW, did anyone see the Florida State game Friday night.  

BC in Skins colors and the Seminoles with a gorgeous retro-Skins HELMET! 

The NFL really should loosen their rules uni variations and what positions can wear what numbers. If college refs aren't confused by a WR wearing a single digit or a kicker wearing 98. Then who cares? I'd like to see a QB wear a number like Sammy Baugh again.

Back to Unis. Even just 4 variations would be enough.

Meanwhile, they lose tons of money. The NFL is easily identifiable as are the teams. I'm not saying they need to go Oregon/Maryland with their combos, but for instance, you can only have 2 colors of pants. Why? I'd love for us to wear the gold, burgundy and white, but we can't wear the burgundy. It doesn't make sense to limit things.

I Would like to see it too, but it's not happening. The NFL owners are conservative and don't want to rock the boat with their respective team's brands. Plus, they aren't marketing to potential recruits like colleges are with their wild uni combos. Their belief is that there is more to gain financially with a strong, unified, recognizable brand than there would with multiple uniform combinations and any potential jersey sales that would come with that.

The owners really went out on a limb by even agreeing to color on color match ups for TNF. We will probably see the first one this week with the Skins versus Giants.

I wish they would bring back the same pants in the uniforms used in Joe Gibbs Era. The white pants with the burgundy & yellow stripes were much better looking than the dark yellow currently being worn, as was the burgundy pants in combination with the white jerseys.

I like this, however, this team DOESN'T DESERVE to wear the Gibb's era uniforms.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Burgundy jersey, gold pants at home.

White jersey, burgundy pants on the road.

If the other team wears white at home, burgundy jersey, gold pants.

Perfect with one slight alteration that gives us every combo on occasion:

I would always have some element of white on the road. So, I would always go burgundy over gold at home and always go white over burgundy on the road when the opponent doesn't wear white. If the opponent wears white however, I'd go burgundy over white. That keeps the "color over color" concept a truly home field look and gives us a once- or twice-per-year throwback to a pre-gold pants look. 

• Like 1

The rule is 3 pants which is why we couldn't have the burgundy pants the past couple years because we had the throwback pants, the gold and then the white

For example the Browns have White, Orange and Brown pants sets. The Broncos have Blue with orange striping, white with blue striping and white with orange striping

Most teams just have their one color pants, a white and then a throwback or alternate. Our problem is we are trying to cram a color pant (burgundy) with our white and two different throwbacks, gold and the hideous Boston college pants

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2