Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

Ok, so I think I figured out the reason why, my personal favorite uni, the 80s style jerseys from the 80s and early 90s, don't look right today, and it's perhaps a contributor, in addition to Bruce Allen being back, of adding the 70s bottom half (9 stripe socks and gold pants) to our current uni.

I wondered why that change would have ever been made, of the Burg shirt White pants and White shirt Burg Pants, but then all I need to do is go to the early 2000s and it gets explained pretty quickly.  In addition to the team being terrible, something just looks off from our uniforms of that era.  

If you just google 2001 season, 2004 season, etc you can see that our 80s unis don't look quite right.  They actually do look sort of bad and makes me look at our current uni a bit differently, even if our current one has it's own set of problems.  But I figured out why they don't look quite right in today's modern time.  It's going to sound stupid but it's the trickle down effect that causes all the problems.

We are the only team that has "classic" uniforms that still have our jersey numbers on the sides of the sleeves instead of the top of the shoulders.  Not counting the Raiders, who never had details on the sides of their sleeves so the cramping of space isn't as big of an issue.

That causes so many problems on our current uniforms that are predominantly form fitting around the shoulders.  Our 80s unis need the double thick stripes on the shirt to match the pants for them to work.  Ideally, they also need even extra shirt length after the double thick stripes on the sleeves to add either the final white stripe (for the white shirt) or burgundy stripe (for burg) to echo the pants and socks.  Since, for the pants there is always a "third color" surrounding the stripes, and then the socks there is always white above it making them "triple stripe" too (on the white socks).  

Looking at our jerseys from the late 90s onward until we went to the gold pants adjustment makes more sense as to why they look wrong.  For us since those darn numbers are still on the sleeves and it's almost a permanent fixture to have the elastic sleeves except for certain QBs, kickers, punters, and Darrell Green (makes me love him even more), makes having the space to echo the distinctive double thick striped pants and socks impossible. Also, even the sleeved jerseys nowadays are never as long as they were back in the 90s and before, so the issues remain there too even if not as bad.  But Kirk's jersey always does seem to look the best (and it has nothing to do with the QB drama surrounding our team right this second) since he's one of the few players that still wears longer sleeves on our team.

So, our 2015 jerseys now have this weird curved stripe thing where the gold accent color wraps around the opening and then a small crescent of white curves over the highest point of the gold.  This probably makes these gold pants with the "generic" triple stripes make more sense with our current shirt since the consistency aspect no longer matters.  But on it's own looks very poor to me regardless.

You can see that it's a very easy switch that could have probably made our 80s unis look solid in today's current era of unis, as long as you would be willing to move the jersey numbers (unless there is something I am missing, I have no problem with it).  If you look at the 49ers jerseys from the 80s, their numbers are on the sleeves and above detail (stripes for them).  On their current jerseys, they moved the numbers to the top so now their stripes fit on the shoulders with plenty of spacing and look very nice while keeping their overall classic look.  We could do the same thing with the 80s style shirts and pants combinations, but right now during this gold pant era I guess it doesn't really matter.

I should probably mess around with this in photoshop and try things out. Because I never noticed it before but now I'd like to see. 

Edited by Taco Bell
  • Like 1

I should probably mess around with this in photoshop and try things out. Because I never noticed it before but now I'd like to see. 

Good eye and I agree.

The two color stripe is a key characteristic of a Redskin uniform and it needs to be way more prominent than it currently is.

That's partly why I hate the gold pants so much, it's a three stripe trim which is just not "Redskins" to me.

I'm on board with the gold two stripe look.  They also need to bring back burgundy pants.  

Here is an old mock up:

Makes a lot of sense. I'm surprised how much better that looks. Good job. Send that to Bruce. 

Doesn't the team have to submit our alternate uniforms to the league? Have they already done so and what are they this year?

I don't think there are any changes planned.  How they haven't addressed the stripes by now is beyond me.  I know it's not real football talk, but to me it is symbolic of how poorly managed this entire organization is.

Makes a lot of sense. I'm surprised how much better that looks. Good job. Send that to Bruce. 

Agree.

I'm not entirely for or against the current gold pants with the 3 stripe look, but I just want it all to flow and be consistent.  So either go with the two stripe look, or go with the three.  Enough with the inconsistent look (again, inconsistency being a common theme with this team).

I don't think there are any changes planned.  How they haven't addressed the stripes by now is beyond me.  I know it's not real football talk, but to me it is symbolic of how poorly managed this entire organization is.

Agree.

I'm not entirely for or against the current gold pants with the 3 stripe look, but I just want it all to flow and be consistent.  So either go with the two stripe look, or go with the three.  Enough with the inconsistent look (again, inconsistency being a common theme with this team).

It does certainly feel like they are just digging through boxes in the attic of Redskin Park to use whatever gear they find. What's funny is that I'll bet they produce new uniforms every year, so it would be pretty seamless (on the process side) to submit a revised look. 

What they need to do is have someone create a rebranding of the uniform. I would love a complete overhaul, but also understand why they are reluctant to do that. But, at a minimum, just have a design team clean things up or modernize the look. 

• 3 weeks later...

It does certainly feel like they are just digging through boxes in the attic of Redskin Park to use whatever gear they find. What's funny is that I'll bet they produce new uniforms every year, so it would be pretty seamless (on the process side) to submit a revised look. 

What they need to do is have someone create a rebranding of the uniform. I would love a complete overhaul, but also understand why they are reluctant to do that. But, at a minimum, just have a design team clean things up or modernize the look. 

I'm not really for an overhaul, I tend to like the more "classic" look (Raiders, Bills, Jets, Chiefs, etc...), but something needs to absolutely be done with the stripes.

I think most of the issues I have could be addressed by moving the helmet, jerseys, and the pants  single stripe, so that way the jerseys, helmets, and pants all just have one stripe on them.  

Couple that with solid socks, and I think the uniform appears much cleaner / sleeker.  So the white and gold pants would have one solid burgundy stripe, and the burgundy pants would have a solid gold stripe.

The jerseys can be almost identical to what they are now, except move the two stripes on the sleeve base for a solid color (gold band on the burgundy jerseys, and burgundy band on the white jerseys).

The white jerseys also need a burgundy collar, but not the stupid fly-ware thing that Nike does.  I am also not opposed to the white jerseys having solid burgundy numbers, removing the gold trim.  I think it pops more that way.

Keep the current helmet, but remove the two white stripes, just leaving the single gold stripe down the middle.

The away look would be something like this:

1979-Sportscaster-Hanburger-F.jpg

• Like 2

With all due respect, I'm just never gonna understand the call to harken back to looks that never won anything. Yellow pants, single stripes, darker burgundies, arrowhead helmets....really alien to me.

This entire franchise is literally defined by a single decade of excellence that was absolutely monolithic in terms of uniform design.

They need to go back to that look, it's so ******* choice.

They need to perfect it.

Helmet: Drop the glitter, go matte, go brighter red, make the logo bigger. Heck, maybe tuck those feathers back in...

Jersey, Pants, Socks: Brighter burgundy, thicker piping.

All I'm asking for is to have THAT look as a base and build off cool alternates for anniversaries or special occassions.

• Like 1

With all due respect, I'm just never gonna understand the call to harken back to looks that never won anything. Yellow pants, single stripes, darker burgundies, arrowhead helmets....really alien to me.

This entire franchise is literally defined by a single decade of excellence that was absolutely monolithic in terms of uniform design.

They need to go back to that look, it's so ******* choice.

They need to perfect it.

Helmet: Drop the glitter, go matte, go brighter red, make the logo bigger. Heck, maybe tuck those feathers back in...

Jersey, Pants, Socks: Brighter burgundy, thicker piping.

All I'm asking for is to have THAT look as a base and build off cool alternates for anniversaries or special occassions.

the Redskins were pretty successful in the 70s also

Getting bored of the burgundy top gold bottoms every loss, change it up guys!

That's how I was feeling with the white on burgundy.  I was glad for the gold pants change up, and I want them to stay in the rotation.  But... the burgundy pants need to come back.

Drop the 80th, and go with burgundy, gold, and white pants, and burgundy, gold, and white jerseys.

It's a shame as all the uniform combos have been tainted with ineptitude now. 

The white jerseys and burgundy pants from our glory years went away when Joe retired.  I think of Heath Shuler and Gus Frerotte head butting a wall as much as I think of Riggo's run or Ryp hitting Gary Clark on a deep ball.

The best throwbacks we have are polluted by the thought of Steve Spurrier, "5 and 11...not too good"  You don't say OBC?

The canary yellow, don't try and convince me they are gold, R with feather Lombardi uniforms remind me of blown leads and suggest an identity from another team. 

The all white look for Joe Part Deux looked like practice uniforms in my book.

Our current throwback, the most recent, can't match the right shades of burgundy between the jersey and the helmet.

I like what the Vikings and Bills have done with their uniforms.  The matte finish helmet looks sick for the Vikes and might just be because it's purple.  May work real nice for burgundy.  The Bills going back to the classic 70's look of OJ and Joe Ferguson, even though they sucked in the late 70's looks really good with that shade of blue.

There have been some great suggestions in here, and some bad ones.  I like the idea(s):

Using the shade of gold pants from our throwback and not the current mustard, hot dog theme from Windows 3.11, Ronald McDonald look on the road.

Matte finish Burgundy helmets, shade of burgundy to match the numbers on white jerseys with just plain burgundy numbers no gold outline and burgundy jerseys with gold numbers.

Like the suggestions on fixing the piping with one big broad stripe on pants and helmet as mentioned earlier.

• Like 1

Next thing you're gonna say is "They should put the word 'Redskins' on the pants like the Browns do..." :)

Lol you know, "SKINS" up the side of the leg in place of stripes...so tight

While we are at it, we should have 3 jersey options with main color: burgundy, gold and white and pants that have those same main color options. All are disfigure exactly the same just changing the colors out. That way you can mix and match any top and bottom and they all look match stripes and content and fit together.