Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

No apologies here...i'm a HUGE fan of the current look. I actually really miss the faux collar look on the 1st Nike away kits. Looks a lot like a classy soccer rag. Super happy i was able to get one before they went away.

I was a fan of the all-whites, but when i look at old pictures....not so much anymore.

The all burgundy unis always have a place in my heart as that's the uni we wore on my 2 youth titles, but our helmets were white, & i think it looked better that way.

If i'm being 100% honest with myself...i like the throwback "BC" unis the most. I wouldn't even mind it with the spear helmet (i roll with that combo a lot on Madden) or the faux leatherhead.

In all...i like the stark look the current unis provide. The colors really make each other, & it's sort of an announcement. That said...i'm always open for change, & I'll finish with...it seems like anyone not named the Steelers or Packers has gone through some drastic uniform change right as they became contenders. Going as far back as the '90's Cowpies, 9ers, & Broncos. Perhaps our turn is coming?

Edited by nemocystem

I spent some time looking at photos of the redskins browns game just to make sure I still agreed with what I was thinking and ultimately I still do. 

The main thing is actually what trickles down to the rest, which is ultimately that we are using half the jurgensen (edit - spelled sonny's name wrong here but right everyone (everywhere!! 2nd edit) else thankfully) era look, half our current (~80s onward) look.  Both from a visual perspective and from a symbolic perspective. 

I think obviously the visuals of it just look a little out of whack.  I'm not saying it's terrible, but it's just not cohesive and there's a "reason" why this doesn't happen very often.

From the basic visual perspective, which I'm not being unique about, is just the randomness of the striping consistency.  It goes from top to bottom - 3 on the helmet, 2 on the shirts (although unless you are wearing the loose sleeve version like Kirk Cousins they aren't very noticeable on these Nike jerseys so it could be argued 0 from the visual side of things), 3 on the pants, and then the 9 striped socks (yellow, red, white, red, yellow, red, white, red, yellow).  The matching stripes on the jersey are what make the socks work on the "jurgensen" jerseys.  Otherwise, those socks are just out of place. 

And then the gold pants.  I was born in 86 so I admit there might be a bit of a bias in that on the current unis I prefer the "80s" half of it more, but I genuinely like most of the iterations of our uniform from a pure visual perspective during it's history.  But again, the Gold pants, and the 3 stripes on the pants, conflict with what I consider our "true identity of our current uniforms" which still errs more on the side of the 80s onward look given additional identity elements found in things beyond our jersey.

We also never as a franchise made a "big thing" out of reverting back to our old style look on our current unis in recent time either, so it just feels like the Jurgensen bottom half is either temporary or a test or whatever, which is also what I mean about the 80s onward look still feeling like our current identity. 

So, the fact that these two halves were not truly fused together properly, they are quite literally half the old jerseys half the new jerseys put together, makes it "feel" patchwork and incomplete.  

But further, on the pants in particular, the striping was sort of "modernized" (which I would ultimately consider "generalized") compared to the Jurgensen era where they were slightly thinner and have that retro feel today, to what I consider the most standard of standard football pants, the 3 equally thick stripes. So, any uniqueness of the pants themselves have sort of been stripped away by using the same exact pattern that many NFL teams still use or have used.  The packers, the 9ers, the colts, the cowboys to name a few currently today.  This is something for example I've said in this thread before, but one thing I do genuinely think of as "ours" are the thick double stripes.  I think most NFL fans would agree that when they see thick double stripes, they probably associate them with our team over any other at first glance.  So, we kind of give our visual identity away by using these "generic" triple striped pants. 

Also, I am in the camp that don't prefer the gold pants, but it's a lot of the symbolism as to why as opposed to just the color. I think one thing, about our specific colors, is that, they are colors that I always associate with royalty in various forms since burgundy is often a color you see used as velvet or whatever in uses for kings/monarchies/etc. So gold always felt to me for us like the special color that would be used sparingly as a form of ornamentation.  And for me, that was the ultimate combo of colors when I was growing up to have that royal burgundy color with gold to be our ornamental color.  I think when we use gold so liberally on the uniforms it makes the special nature of gold as a color go away, as it takes away the implications of value or scarcity.  Also, it's one of the things that made the 49ers gold less special on the unis since their use of gold is to imply a large quantity of gold (the gold rush).  Now, it's almost like we are copying them symbolically by going back to it. And then other teams, like the packers or steelers, have more of an identity with gold pants that we are all of the sudden rejoining. 

I know our franchise has been around forever so we aren't "really" copying anyone else, but it feels that way, and the look of it is just a little off too.  

I think that ultimately the reason why we went to this current look is because, in our typical Snyder era mishandling of things, it is an attempt in driving home the point that our colors are "Burgundy and Gold" combined with "tradition" by keeping both halves of our uniforms *mostly* intact.  It feels very thudding and obvious their "intentions" there. 

Finally, because of the "look" of our jerseys currently, I have to wonder if kids at a young impressionable age would really like our uniforms and become fans outside of being born into redskins families because they just aren't very sharp right this second.  (edit - I meant to add that I realize liking a uniform as a kid leading to fandom is just one path to becoming a redskins fan outside of being nurtured into one, but it is a relevant one)  I had no real reason to become a redskins fan in eagles country other than they had recently won a SB - which my cowboys fan dad told me since I was only 3-4 when it happened, and I also loved the uniforms/colors the most.  The very first SB I actually remember watching was the first Cowboys SB, go figure. 

None of this is too egregious and I know a simple update could fix a lot of things, but there are better ways to incorporate tradition to our uniforms than putting together a uniform from two separate eras.  

Edited by Taco Bell
  • Like 2

Regarding contacting Bruce Allen about the uniforms, I sent him an actual type-written letter on this subject a year or two back.  The response?  I short, hand-written note thanking me for my "interest" in the team's uniforms and history, and urging me to continue to "Hail to the Redskins."

While I appreciated Bruce taking the time to write the note to me, I would've preferred if he had spearheaded an effort to actually address this issue.  I don't want anything drastic.  Like Mr. Sinister said in post 7163, I'd be cool if they just took the gold pants and put two thick stripes on the sides, a la the burgundy pants' stripes.  (Of course, the burgundy pants should be reinstated for road games.)  Also, as Taco Bell observed in post 7178, the socks that are used with the gold pants are an overly-striped mess and should be ditched.  Their replacement?  The socks that are used with our white pants.

See, Bruce?  Nothing too crazy.  So how about it?

P.S.  I think I may have to go over Bruce's head, and address my next letter on this matter to Dan Snyder.

Edited by Glenn X
  • Like 4

Regarding contacting Bruce Allen about the uniforms, I sent him an actual type-written letter on this subject a year or two back.  The response?  I short, hand-written note thanking me for my "interest" in the team's uniforms and history, and urging me to continue to "Hail to the Redskins."

While I appreciated Bruce taking the time to write the note to me, I would've preferred if he had spearheaded an effort to actually address this issue.  I don't want anything drastic.  Like Mr. Sinister said in post 7163, I'd be cool if they just took the gold pants and put two thick stripes on the sides, a la the burgundy pants' stripes.  (Of course, the burgundy pants should be reinstated for road games.)  Also, as Taco Bell observed, the socks that are used with the gold pants are an overly-striped mess and should be ditched.  Their replacement?  The socks that are used with our white pants.

See, Bruce?  Nothing too crazy.  So how about it?

P.S.  I think I may have to go over Bruce's head, and address my next letter on this matter to Dan Snyder.

I wrote him a letter a year or two ago just going nuts about how they tried to sell us crap after a loss, and how I wanted their social media to be more professional. I received the same basic letter back. With some "I <3 The Redskins" stickers. Brutal.

I might want to keep the Gold pants (Maybe in a dark shade like the 80th Uni's), even I can see that the White Jersey's should be worn with Burgundy pants. Even White on White would be ok once in a while. #NoWhitePants

So is the team gonna finally ditch the white pants they don't even wear anymore, and bring back the burgundy pants?  I miss them; the white on burgundy look that is.

For a few years, I was sick of them, but I never wanted them to go away.  The gold pants are great, the colors of the team are great (sans piping / stripes issues), and the burgundy pants are great.

Been saying it for years...

Home games, or when the team wears a burgundy jersey, they should always wear gold pants.

When the team wears a white jersey, most of the games should be white on burgundy.

On occasion, like one or two games a year, wear white on gold.

So aside from that, they just need to fix the stripes:

Helmet = 3 stripes

Socks = too many to count

Gold pants = 3 stripes

Jerseys = 2 sleeve base stripes

Burgundy / White pants = 2 stripes.

Quoting myself, as it seems relevant to the current topic.

You didn't take the hint. He's got them wearing the colors when his daddy was the coach, and he's not changing them any day soon.

Hopefully they can just go back to these:

6_3404405.jpg

Just watched some old school Redskins and didn't realized how much I missed those. Especially the white on burg. Looks timeless.The stripes were really cool.

I like the old skool like with the exception of the big, wide yellow and white strips.  Ace them -- go for a cleaner look with maybe one thin yellow stripe or none.  Same with the helmets.

I personally like the darker burgundy and Gulden's mustard gold myself -- re=brand the team in those colors.

• Like 1

If I were to gain the courage one day, perhaps I'd do my shot at sending a letter to either Brucie or Danny

I'd start it with "the imperial magistrate has reached a verdict..." lol.. (that movie is legitimately one of my favorite movies of all time)

But anyways.. that pic that was just quoted is actually the look I like the best if I had to pick one.  Again, I'm an 80's kid so I might have an innate bias towards those, but I also think they are balanced very nicely.  I can see how some people wouldn't like the thickness of the stripes, but maybe because it feels like "ours" I do happen to like the boldness of those stripes.  Also, we can see from that picture in particular how when a player is in motion things are all parallel with eachother from a sequencing standpoint. 

The striping of the shirt's burgundy and gold are the same when parallel with the pants on either side, and then the striping on the shirts reflect the helmet's colors like a mirror, where the shirt's gold stripes form a larger triangle with the helmet stripe encapsulating the smaller burgundy triangle of the helmet itself as the top center point.   And then the socks match too. I really like that uni, looks nice still and in motion.

But again, I actually like the darker gold that matches the 70s unis and my personal favorite part are the solid numbers to go along with the detailed stripes.

So for those writing Bruce about not liking the uniforms and expecting a response about the change...do you realize people can be writing him stating the opposit, that they love them?

He's not going to read a few pieces of fan mail about the uniforms and say "Darn, I need to change them".  Frankly, I love the look.  Yes, i'm a huge fan of white on white, but I love the white on (Insert your interpretation of the gold pants here cause I don't want to argue).

So for those writing Bruce about not liking the uniforms and expecting a response about the change...do you realize people can be writing him stating the opposit, that they love them?

He's not going to read a few pieces of fan mail about the uniforms and say "Darn, I need to change them".  Frankly, I love the look.  Yes, i'm a huge fan of white on white, but I love the white on (Insert your interpretation of the gold pants here cause I don't want to argue).

That's why I would only do it if I had the courage.  I'd have to go full out with mockups and make myself look like an idiot in the process before doing so. 

But, I think literally asking him straight up "why are the bottom half of the jerseys from 71 and the top half from 92 being slapped together" would probably force him to at least say something non-computer like since it's very direct and not necessarily choosing sides. 

"thanks taco bell for your interest in the washington redskins, I am happy for your comments and appreciate your support!

Hail to the Redskins!" 

lol

• Like 2

I like the old skool like with the exception of the big, wide yellow and white strips.  Ace them -- go for a cleaner look with maybe one thin yellow stripe or none.  Same with the helmets.

I personally like the darker burgundy and Gulden's mustard gold myself -- re=brand the team in those colors.

I like the single burgundy stripe used on the pants in the 60's.  I also like the current helmet without any stripes (they do this now when wearing the 80th uni).  I would not be opposed though to one single gold stripe down the middle of the helmet.

Here is a pic of the pants with a single stripe:

sonny_jurgensen_1967_10_22.jpg

I like the single burgundy stripe used on the pants in the 60's.  I also like the current helmet without any stripes (they do this now when wearing the 80th uni).  I would not be opposed though to one single gold stripe down the middle of the helmet.

With those the single gold stripe would be real nice

To those who think that writing to the Redskins is a "waste of time" because "they don't care what I think" or "they prefer the less-than-ideal status quo"?  One never know until one tries, and it doesn't hurt -- not me, anyway.  I certainly think it's better than your preferred approach to this issue: impotent kvetching online.  And to those (e.g. superozman) who enjoy the current, slapdash uniform combo and surmise that I'm being "out-voted" by fans of the status quo who are writing letters of support to the team's ownership?  Not bloody likely.  You have to understand human nature.  In short, people rarely take the time to comment on things that please them or strike them as inoffensive.  No, people are typically driven to comment on stuff that irritates or enrages them.

P.S.  "Has the Imperial Magistrate reached a verdict?"  Thanks for recognizing my Quintesson profile pic, Taco Bell.  :-D  Every so often, I think of changing it.  However, whenever I take a good long gander at it, I'm reminded of what I most liked about screenwriter Flint Dille's admittedly imperfect script treatment for the 1986 version of Transformers: The Movie: the dark and gritty tone of the writing.

• Like 2

<Sonny-era uniforms>

If they just adopted these I would be thrilled. 

Why one thin line? 2 Wide stripes looked clean to me and classic. But I agree with a darker burgundy.

Right now, we have one of the most confusing uniforms in the league because nothing matches. For a professional sports team, you would think they would do something to fix something simple because we look weird.

Edited by mike42
  • Like 1

I've mentioned it before, but I'd like the team to ditch the throwbacks and have the following:

Pants:  Burgundy, Gold, White

Tops:  Burgundy, Gold, White

Then mix and match them.  Typical home games = Burgundy tops, Gold Pants.  Typical away games = White tops and Burgundy pants.

Occasionally, mix it up...

White on Gold for away games, and maybe even all White like once a year.

To get really crazy, go with a Gold jersey and Burgundy pants.  I don't have a picture, but the gist would be something like this:

redskins-rookie-qbs.jpg?w=300