Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

I just don't see why we should fix what isn't broken. The Redskins have a simple, classic, iconic look.

This is one of the things I don't like about football: constant change. Everything from rules to uniforms seem to change every year. Some of the best uniforms in sports has hardly changed for decades. The Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers have worn the same basic uniform since many of our great-grandparents were children. Who would even entertain the thought of changing those?

The Redskins are one of the richest frachises in sports. Not in football; in sports period.

RG3 sold more jerseys in a single year than any player in NFL history.

Yeah, I'd say that they weren't "hemmoraging" money.

You didn't read that in context. Hemorrhaging money in that sentence & paragraph structure was referring to money we could ALSO be making. Obviously the franchise makes plenty of money...oddly, i don't catch many people reppin' Redskins gear out this way, or any other city for that matter.

I'm assuming we make a ton of money off of past value, real estate value, parking, TV, netwoks, & now you can add RGIII burgundy jersey sales to go along with Taylor, Cooley, & Moss jersey sales of the recent past. The point being that by updating the uni's & making them more fashionable & changing the scheme regularly gives MORE people MORE reason to buy that team's apparel on a more consistent basis. Add in the potential with RGIII going forward & the team on the brink of being a more consistent competitor.....

I think you may start to get my point. It's not hemorrhaging money we already have....it's hemorrhaging from the link to potential income & preventing the organization from earning an even larger overhead.

Put another way....if RGIII is the only player i'm really interested in buying a jersey of, then if i get 1 burgundy...i've got 'em all. But if i'm an RGIII nut, & they change the look enough next season...well darnit...now i've gotta buy that one.

Houston had a full wrap-around flywire collar last season. It looked awful, like these West Virginia unis do. The collar is way too big.

the texans were one of the teams that opted out of the flywire collar, thats why they had a full collar

antoine-bethea-arian-foster.jpg

Edited by vabigpoppa

I hate the term "if it ain't broke don't fix it" especially when referring to sports uniforms with longevity.

Well to be honest, the look is kinda "broken" if you want to put it that way. We started wearing the current version of the Redskins uniform in 1979. From that point until the last time they won the Super Bowl, their record was 131-77 and a winning percentage of .629. Since the 1992 season, they've had a 138-198 record and a winning percentage of .410. I dunno about you, sounds like they're pretty "broken."

Plus lets face it, younger fans need a uniform to call their own and to remember the Griffin era with. All you older fans have had multiple uniforms to witness, time to pass the baton. And no this does not mean bring back another throwback, lets create new traditions with new uniforms.

If you want to bring the red sox into the conversation, they've introduced a red jersey, a blue jersey, and changed their road jerseys in recent years. So even one of sports most historic franchises have changed their uniforms to some extent.

Edited by AirMayo21

I just don't get why people dig insane uniforms.

People went crazy of the Seahawks unis and I still feel like they're overly busy and kind of stupid looking. The Jaguars new uniforms are ****ing hideous. That two tone helmet thing...WHY? Who focused grouped that? Which player looked at those helmets and said "Yeah, that's the hotness."

The Bills and the Vikings both improved their uniforms a ton by going back to a simplier, more clean looks that were more reminiscent of their classic uniforms.

We have a very simple, very defined uniform. There is literally no reason to change it. It's not a case of the "older fans" (I'm only 26) not wanting it to change. There's just no reason to change it. Are our current unis dated? No. Are they ugly? No. Have people stopped buying jerseys? No.

And on top of that, when you get hung up on stuff as stupid as whether or not there's color around the collar, you're never going to be satisfied anyway. If you're paying attention to the uniform when the game is being played, you're watching the game the wrong way.

And on top of that, when you get hung up on stuff as stupid as whether or not there's color around the collar, you're never going to be satisfied anyway. If you're paying attention to the uniform when the game is being played, you're watching the game the wrong way.

I could understand someone wanting really cool uniforms if we were losing, saying something like "if we're gonna lose, we might as well look cool," but we're winning now so yeah, who cares.

I personally like the uniforms the way they are, exemplified by the gifs on this page. I feel like they just work.

And you're right, uniforms are like...10th on the list of things I pay attention to during the game.

I hate the term "if it ain't broke don't fix it" especially when referring to sports uniforms with longevity.

Well to be honest, the look is kinda "broken" if you want to put it that way. We started wearing the current version of the Redskins uniform in 1979. From that point until the last time they won the Super Bowl, their record was 131-77 and a winning percentage of .629. Since the 1992 season, they've had a 138-198 record and a winning percentage of .410. I dunno about you, sounds like they're pretty "broken."

Plus lets face it, younger fans need a uniform to call their own and to remember the Griffin era with. All you older fans have had multiple uniforms to witness, time to pass the baton. And no this does not mean bring back another throwback, lets create new traditions with new uniforms.

If you want to bring the red sox into the conversation, they've introduced a red jersey, a blue jersey, and changed their road jerseys in recent years. So even one of sports most historic franchises have changed their uniforms to some extent.

I'm the same age as you, friend. This isn't about me living in the glory days. I was 9 months old when the 'Skins won their last Super Bowl.

The Redskins uniform, as NLC said, is simple and defined. There's nothing particularly ugly abut it (like those hideous Tampa Bay uniforms from the 1970s) and it's part of the team's identity. This isn't about a new generation needing a new uniform to define them. This is about something being passed from generation to generation.

Change for the sake of change is seldom a good idea. That usually leads to ugly, dated uniforms that we'll come to regret in 20 years.

New jerseys = $$$ and Dan likes $$$. Think about it, plenty of people have bought white burgundy and throwback Griffin jerseys. Those same people would likely buy the new version as well. Also, I believe I remember Griffin himself calling for new uniforms on Twitter, not saying it means anything but I feel like the new generation deserves a new look.

Contrary to popular belief, owners do not make much money off jersey sales. Most of it goes to the NFLPA, and the player. The share of ALL jersey sales going to the NFL is split evenly among the 32 teams. So Dan has little incentive to have a new jersey to make more money. Profit gets cut up into so many pies that he gets relatively little money. I'm talking jersey sales and not all the other Redskin related stuff. IMAGE is more important than the few dollars to be made off a new jersey. The Redskins uniform has been a classic for decades. Snyder is not going to mess with the team's image and colors. Black, in particular is not happenin' for the players uniforms.

---------- Post added May-18th-2013 at 02:13 PM ----------

You didn't read that in context. Hemorrhaging money in that sentence & paragraph structure was referring to money we could ALSO be making. Obviously the franchise makes plenty of money...oddly, i don't catch many people reppin' Redskins gear out this way, or any other city for that matter.

I'm assuming we make a ton of money off of past value, real estate value, parking, TV, netwoks, & now you can add RGIII burgundy jersey sales to go along with Taylor, Cooley, & Moss jersey sales of the recent past. The point being that by updating the uni's & making them more fashionable & changing the scheme regularly gives MORE people MORE reason to buy that team's apparel on a more consistent basis. Add in the potential with RGIII going forward & the team on the brink of being a more consistent competitor.....

I think you may start to get my point. It's not hemorrhaging money we already have....it's hemorrhaging from the link to potential income & preventing the organization from earning an even larger overhead.

Put another way....if RGIII is the only player i'm really interested in buying a jersey of, then if i get 1 burgundy...i've got 'em all. But if i'm an RGIII nut, & they change the look enough next season...well darnit...now i've gotta buy that one.

Skins do not make much money from jersey sales. Most of it goes to the NFLPA and the player. What share the NFL gets is split 32 ways....including the NFL profit off all RG3 jerseys. Little incentive for Snyder to change jerseys for money only.

I'm the same age as you, friend. This isn't about me living in the glory days. I was 9 months old when the 'Skins won their last Super Bowl.

The Redskins uniform, as NLC said, is simple and defined. There's nothing particularly ugly abut it (like those hideous Tampa Bay uniforms from the 1970s) and it's part of the team's identity. This isn't about a new generation needing a new uniform to define them. This is about something being passed from generation to generation.

Change for the sake of change is seldom a good idea. That usually leads to ugly, dated uniforms that we'll come to regret in 20 years.

Change for the sake of change is how you end up with this:

medium_hill_jersey.jpg

There's not much you can change without redoing the entire color scheme. Change a couple stripes here or there, with a more 3-D helmet look? I'm fine with that. I don't want the current color scheme to change though. I think it's fine the way it is.

Guest Spearfeather
All you older fans have had multiple uniforms to witness, time to pass the baton. .

Not really. Us " older fans " got new uniforms in 1979, and then saw that one particular uniform for 13 or 14 games every season for 31 years ( excluding 2002, and burgundy at home in 2001.)

IMO, RG3 and this new team bring new life to our uniforms. I'm only a few years older than you and I love our current uni's. Change for the sake of change is just dumb and you walk down a dangerous path. (see: Dolphins new uniforms/logo)

Nah, I really don't. Not at the expense of my team looking like they belong in an arena league. Which is the way uniforms are headed these days.

Here I can kind of agree. The Red Sox wear that blue jersey only on Fridays and only on the road (Red on Fridays at home). The new road uniform, introduced in 2009, was an upgrade and it was actully a nod to the old road uniforms they used to wear. The main difference being that they put names on the back and the Sox logo on the sleeve. Otherwise, the Boston Red Sox have stayed true to their roots, as the Redskins should.

Edited by Boston Skins

I'd still like the Redskins to incorporate a gold jersey of some type.

Hell, it might be a psychological edge.

Coach: Why did you let up on the quarterback??!!!

DE: He's wearing yellow, we're not supposed to hit him.

Coach: THAT'S FOR OUR QUARTERBACK, DURING PRACTICE!!!

If we wear gold jerseys I will boycott.

Most quarterbacks wear red jerseys during practice. That wouldn't work.

If done correctly, a gold jersey would be really cool though I do not like either of the above pics of one.

If done correctly, a gold jersey would be really cool though I do not like either of the above pics of one.

I used those as examples. I don't think either of those are awful....or great actually.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any NFL team sports a Yellow/Gold jersey.

Nike-NFL-Uniforms.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any NFL team sports a Yellow/Gold jersey.

http://www.avenueswank.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Nike-NFL-Uniforms.jpg

There's probably a good reason for that :silly:.

Actually, now that you mention it, the Saints used to have a gold alternate jersey. So did the Niners. We wear a different shade of gold though, so it would look super ugly.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

There's probably a good reason for that :silly:.

Actually, now that you mention it, the Saints used to have a gold alternate jersey. So did the Niners. We wear a different shade of gold though, so it would look super ugly.

I don't think its a bad idea. Give the people who want something different a new look while keeping the others.

However, I think they should keep the current design but darken the colors to match the 80th Uni's. Helmet a deep burgundy too. Either no logo or anything there, put it on the shoulder. Or, the number of the player.

But that's just me. I like looking at the old old old era looks that are usually in black n white.

Guest Spearfeather
However, I think they should keep the current design but darken the colors to match the 80th Uni's. Helmet a deep burgundy too. Either no logo or anything there, put it on the shoulder. Or, the number of the player.

But that's just me. I like looking at the old old old era looks that are usually in black n white.

If they did do something like that, I'd like to see the " new " old logo, like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2NR8494zOoBZDiUSOtRHT8tdXbN81LI8kuy0ZpOT3aEeSUonT

on a dark burgundy helmet, with no stripes and a gray facemask.