Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

42 minutes ago, carex said:

not to my eyes.  I mean I guess that burgundy is okay, but the gold?  Ugly as hell.  Of course to me, that's closer to mustard yellow, but I don't think of French's mustard as that color, I tend to think of Dijon mustards as closer to actual mustard color

The 2002 throwback (in the style of the mid-1960s teams) unis had a much more toned down shade of gold than the "Ronald McDonald" uniforms of the Lombardi/Austin/Allen/Pardee years (which we're using today) and I'm pretty sure that was the shade they used up until the late 1960s. If memory serves, they sort of "brightened" the tones up to look more like the Packers to pay homage to Lombardi.

2015318_display_image.jpg

If it were up to me, these would be the team's full-time uniforms. I know they're associated with losing teams (both in the 1960s and in 2002) it's just a great design. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I think the unis need a massive overhaul.  I don't give a crap about preserving the past, or heritage, etc -- make them look better.  The yellow pants are gawd-awful and I don't like the huge white and yellow stripes down the middle of the helmets.  I've seen mock ups for modern concept unis for the Skins that look great.  New, fresh,...I want that.

Edited by Probos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thebluefood said:

The 2002 throwback (in the style of the mid-1960s teams) unis had a much more toned down shade of gold than the "Ronald McDonald" uniforms of the Lombardi/Austin/Allen/Pardee years (which we're using today) and I'm pretty sure that was the shade they used up until the late 1960s. If memory serves, they sort of "brightened" the tones up to look more like the Packers to pay homage to Lombardi.

2015318_display_image.jpg

If it were up to me, these would be the team's full-time uniforms. I know they're associated with losing teams (both in the 1960s and in 2002) it's just a great design. 

I wouldn't mind dusting off those throwbacks as the primary unis (and having a white/burgundy combo for road games). I would make them less busy though. I like the helmets and colors are good but I'd do less on the sleeves to make it all simpler. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I wouldn't mind dusting off those throwbacks as the primary unis (and having a white/burgundy combo for road games). I would make them less busy though. I like the helmets and colors are good but I'd do less on the sleeves to make it all simpler. 

Agreed, though I'm a big fan of minimalism and simplicity when it comes to uniforms. Apart from having a winning tradition associated with them (i.e. the Yankees pinstripes, the Packers "G" logo, etc..) I think simplicity is the biggest factor for a timeless uniform design. 

sonny-jurgensen-vs-rams-1967.jpg

What else do you really need? Apart from adding names to the back of the uniforms (I don't think that became a thing until the Allen years) - this is pretty much as good as it gets as far as the 'Skins are concerned.

Understated logo on the helmets, clear white numbers contrasted against dark burgundy jerseys, and muted, gold trousers. When you keep it simple, you're more likely to strike gold. That's not to say minimalism can't be ugly or "busier" designs can't look good. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thebluefood said:

Agreed, though I'm a big fan of minimalism and simplicity when it comes to uniforms. Apart from having a winning tradition associated with them (i.e. the Yankees pinstripes, the Packers "G" logo, etc..) I think simplicity is the biggest factor for a timeless uniform design. 

sonny-jurgensen-vs-rams-1967.jpg

What else do you really need? Apart from adding names to the back of the uniforms (I don't think that became a thing until the Allen years) - this is pretty much as good as it gets as far as the 'Skins are concerned.

Understated logo on the helmets, clear white numbers contrasted against dark burgundy jerseys, and muted, gold trousers. When you keep it simple, you're more likely to strike gold. That's not to say minimalism can't be ugly or "busier" designs can't look good. 

why else do you need?  How about some effort.  That jersey looks like a t-shirt with a number slapped on it.  It's boring.

Give me bright colors, I like things loud

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't mind a return to the spear helmets.  But, if they were to go such a route, and we all know they won't, would love to go with the matte finish helmet like the Vikings.  

While the whole throwback came around because of money, what is old is new again, love when Buffalo went back to the white and blue and ditched the Kelly era red.  Vikes move was good, back to old school and the aforementioned change on the helmet.  The uniforms and color pallet are different enough that if you take those designs and colors from the past, they can look bad ass now.  I don't want them to go the Oregon Ducks modern, color rush throw up, just modernize the old school look.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, carex said:

why else do you need?  How about some effort.  That jersey looks like a t-shirt with a number slapped on it.  It's boring.

They go any brighter, they'll end up looking like USC's squad. 

usa_today_10013920.0.jpg

3 hours ago, carex said:

What else do you need?  How about some effort.  That jersey looks like a t-shirt with a number slapped on it.  It's boring.

They actually wore a mixture of the two for one year, and one year only.

Image result for redskins 1969image.jpeg.e3b5b732e8e3bd5bc7b2dcc8c5330131.jpegImage result for redskins 1969image.jpeg.8360ba65bcd4a933ef58d8b59e2786b2.jpegSee the source imageSee the source image

• Like 2

I feel the spear on the helmet is a much more intimidating look, especially in such a violent sport such as american football.

Go with the spear logo, a more modern scheme of burgundy and gold and less busy sleeves as stated above. 

Forgive me for the cliché, but it would definitely be more "cooler".

Yeah, call me a millennial all you want, but Snyder/Allen ain't doing any favors generating new fans and creating excitement with their "tradition".

Edited by Rogue Jedi
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

I feel the spear on the helmet is a much more intimidating look, especially in such a violent sport such as american football.

Go with the spear logo, a more modern scheme of burgundy and gold and less busy sleeves as stated above. 

Yeah, call me a millennial all you want, but Snyder/Allen ain't doing any favors generating new fans and creating excitement with their "tradition".

I think that might be a non starter with the Chiefs having an arrowhead logo

50 minutes ago, carex said:

I think that might be a non starter with the Chiefs having an arrowhead logo

Not to mention, considering what our " brand " went through a few years ago, I don't see us making a change to our helmets and logo anytime soon. Imagine the field day the media would have with that.

" Look ! They changed their logo because ... "

" Could this signal ... ? "

Combine that with the apparent one helmet rule, and I don't see any major changes coming in the near future.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 1:45 PM, Probos said:

I think the unis need a massive overhaul.  I don't give a crap about preserving the past, or heritage, etc -- make them look better.  The yellow pants are gawd-awful and I don't like the huge white and yellow stripes down the middle of the helmets.  I've seen mock ups for modern concept unis for the Skins that look great.  New, fresh,...I want that.

By any chance did you write and produce the Last Jedi ?

Jokes aside even as a traditionalist who has loved both current (gold"yellow" pants burg jersey) and the white on burg pants i do feel we could use a subtle upgrade. Iv seen the Nike mock-ups and artist renditions and most are hideous, in my opinion at least. Im a old fart though and i can understand how the younger generation would appreciate a more "flamboyant" style. Been to foot locker or sneaker shopping lately? Did Nike intentionally go with some of those color schemes or did someone vomit a rainbow on the sneaker conveyor belt? But the kids are wearing em so they must be "hot"...

Personally If tomorrow i wake up and Dan Snyder has gifted me the team, I would bring back our 83 uniforms with the curved feather. Yup the old fart would keep it subtle and retro. Basically those exact uniforms, id even remove what ever kind of metallic gloss they use on the helemts today and remove the shine from the pants as well. The only thing i would change would be the logo, Id make it bigger . Think Tampa Bay and the way their flag just about covers the entire sides of the helmet

On 3/29/2018 at 12:14 AM, Rogue Jedi said:

Nope won't call you a millennial at least this time....., i have more respect for the younger skins fans than anyone else and you are 100% correct about creating excitement. At least the old timers have their Super Bowl Nostalgia, you guys have Clinton Portis & Gibbs II. Don't get me wrong i love both to death but not exactly glory years of domination there.

Even though this is not something i would want I would understand a drastic uniform change if the younger fans really wanted it, You guys are the future generation of fans and like you said the product they have put on the field year after year has been mediocre at best. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2018 at 10:32 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Every time I come into this thread I’m disappointed by how many pics from the 60s and 70s there are. 

If you all want to stay forever stuck in the Stone Age, that’s fine, but the team unis don’t have to reflect it too. 

I just don't want this team to look hilariously dated when we look back on it in 20 years. 

I'm not saying we need to revive an old uniform but isn't it best to shoot for something that's going to stand the test of time?

16 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

I just don't want this team to look hilariously dated when we look back on it in 20 years. 

I'm not saying we need to revive an old uniform but isn't it best to shoot for something that's going to stand the test of time?

I think something subtle like the vikings did recently would be well received by both younger and old school fans alike.

Going from gloss to matte on the helmet and maybe just making the logo bigger on the helmet would go a long way for a refresh while pretty much remaining unchanged at the same time.

Throw in a spearhead alternate for a few games and we'd be set.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2018 at 10:32 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Every time I come into this thread I’m disappointed by how many pics from the 60s and 70s there are. 

If you all want to stay forever stuck in the Stone Age, that’s fine, but the team unis don’t have to reflect it too. 

usp_nfl__preseason-cleveland_browns_at_w

il_570xN.1257693606_ecgx.jpg

61axgBa+giL._UX385_.jpg

Edited by SkinsGuy

On 4/1/2018 at 11:46 PM, NickyJ said:

Agreed. There's just something about it that looks unprofessional.

I'd be curious if you both prefer chrome accents on vehicles over matte gray and black accents.

For instance, my father is a chrome guy and it may be a generational thing.

A combo of matte and gloss could also look nice as well. As much as I hate the Seahawks I think they did a great job on their recent uniform refresh with the gloss carbon fiber stripe down the center of the matte helmet.

Come to think of it, since NFL teams are limited as to what they can do with the helmets having to be the same color (which makes zero sense, btw), I think a play on the feather stripe down the center of the helmet from back in the day could be a cool alternate look. Much better than the atrocious clash we have to go with on our current throwback unis. 

Maybe something like the current helmet color with updated center feather stripe logo (with the gray facemask swap we currently do when we wear our throwbacks) with a black and burgundy jersey on white pants similar to the Florida State blackout alternates. I'd love to see that for 2 games a year or something.

Edited by DC Lumber Co.
  • Like 2

The other logo that doesn't get enough credit is the feather. A more modern take on this helmet would be pretty cool in my opinion: 

Helmet-Feather.jpg

Even if it was just a feather on each side rather than down the middle, I think it's an untapped symbol for the Redskins. 

Edit - wow, I didn't even see @DC Lumber Co. post before I added that...

Edited by TD_washingtonredskins

7 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I'd be curious if you both prefer chrome accents on vehicles over matte gray and black accents.

For instance, my father is a chrome guy and it may be a generational thing.

A combo of matte and gloss could also look nice as well. As much as I hate the Seahawks I think they did a great job on their recent uniform refresh with the gloss carbon fiber stripe down the center of the matte helmet.

Come to think of it, since NFL teams are limited as to what they can do with the helmets having to be the same color (which makes zero sense, btw), I think a play on the feather stripe down the center of the helmet from back in the day could be a cool alternate look. Much better than the atrocious clash we have to go with on our current throwback unis. 

Maybe something like the current helmet color with updated center feather stripe logo (with the gray facemask swap we currently do when we wear our throwbacks) with a black and burgundy jersey on white pants similar to the Florida State blackout alternates. I'd love to see that for 2 games a year or something.

I'm just not a big fan of he matte look.  Don't care much for the chrome look either.  Too reflective and bright. I also wasn't a big fan of the metal flake look in our helmets.  I guess I'm a traditionalist.  I like the gloss look only and making sure the burgundy on the helmet matches exactly with the jersey.  Would mind a logo change to the spear with no stripe.

Now you've gone and done it.  Black jerseys?  I can't stand a team that does black for black sake (Detroit, Philly).  Black is a trim color only in our scheme and I would vomit if I saw us in black jerseys.  It would neither look cool nor intimidating. It would look atrocious.

You can go retro-modern with uniforms - using retro colors with modern touches without going ridiculous like Seattle.  I don't care for their look or Tampa's new look.  It looks like both of them tried too hard.

Edited by pjfootballer
  • Like 2