Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GIBBS : " Don’t be surprised if Gibbs, Parcells take a hike " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Coaching close-up

Don’t be surprised if Gibbs, Parcells take a hike

By Hub Arkush (hub@pfwmedia.com)

Nov. 13, 2006

As we give you your first in-depth look at the 2007 free-agent crop in this issue of Pro Football Weekly, I offer another question for you to kick around for a while: Which NFL head coaches will be moving on in ’07, and who might be stepping up to fill their shoes?

A question I’ve heard asked a lot over the past few months is: Who do you think will hang ’em up first, the Redskins’ Joe Gibbs or Dallas’ Bill Parcells? Keeping in mind it was strongly rumored that both of their returns were motivated as much by finances as their desire to coach again, my best guess is neither will be back in ’07.

Gibbs is already in the Hall of Fame. While I’m sure anybody would love to have another Super Bowl ring, there is absolutely nothing left for Gibbs to prove on the field. His club, which many thought would be a legitimate contender this year, is barely mediocre and heading in the wrong direction. The defense that triggered its run to the playoffs last year was ranked 30th in total defense, 15th vs. the run, 30th vs. the pass and 23rd in points allowed the first half of the season. It’s also one of the older groups in the league.

On offense, Clinton Portis appears to have lost a lot of tread on his tires, Santana Moss is the only weapon that scares you when he’s healthy, and who knows how much longer Mark Brunell can play at a high level? No one has a clue what they have in QB-of-the-future Jason Campbell.What we all know is that the Redskins are one of the best-run franchises in the league off the field, at least in terms of generating profits, but one of the most poorly run football operations. The amount of money wasted on Andre Carter, Adam Archuleta and Antwaan Randle El this past offseason was ludicrous. And by all accounts, the Redskins will find themselves in a terrible salary-cap situation in just the second season of the new CBA, not a very enviable position for a club that is old and short on talent. Whether it’s owner Daniel Snyder meddling in the football side of things, or V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato being a lousy judge of talent, with three ex-NFL head coaches and at least three more wannabes as assistants, why should Gibbs come back for another year to coach a team that probably can’t win? It says here he won’t.

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Columns/2006/harkush2119.htm

3qd3.jpg

Mark Maske had a different opinion in today's NFL Insider chat at the WP. Maske thinks Gibbs will be back next year:

Coach next year:
Mark,

If you look into your NFL crystal ball, who is coaching the Redskins next football season?

Thanks.

Mark Maske:
Good question. For now, I'll go with Joe Gibbs. I don't think he'd like to exit on this kind of note, and by playing Jason Campbell now perhaps he is positioning this team to be better next season, at least by the second half of the season.

I wouldn't necessarily use the word "good", but he has inproved. Can't say the same for AA, that is why he's getting $30 mill while riding the pine. :doh:

" . . . he's getting $30 mill while riding the pine. "

good pay/work if you can get it . . :rolleyes:

:cheers:

500x177.jpg

Mark Maske had a different opinion in today's NFL Insider chat at the WP. Maske thinks Gibbs will be back next year:

Coach next year:
Mark,

If you look into your NFL crystal ball, who is coaching the Redskins next football season?

Thanks.

Mark Maske:
Good question. For now, I'll go with Joe Gibbs. I don't think he'd like to exit on this kind of note, and by playing Jason Campbell now perhaps he is positioning this team to be better next season, at least by the second half of the season.

exactly . . . ;)

02992jy9.jpg

They are busts compared to their contracts. After this week, ARE and Lloyd are busts no more! Dunno about AA and Carter... Funny thing was, I thought Carter was the surest bet out of our FAs.

I honestly thought that Carter would put this defense way over the top. Before we ever acquired him I always thought that if we had a good DE that could get to the quarterback we would be very scary. Funny how things work out, though, huh?

I remember when Gibbs resigned after the 92 season. Right before the '93 season started some of the preseason prediction magazines came out, as usual. I still remember reading one that said 'maybe Gibbs saw more in this team than the rest of us, and decided to get out while he could. They are getting old. The upcoming free agency period won't allow them to resign who they want for any price'. I was shocked. There was no way Gibbs saw the team as getting too old, with a salary cap starting that would force him to change his entire philosophy!

But what happened? They crushed the Cowboys on opening night, then the wheels fell off the entire franchise. They were old. With no relief in sight.

This is what scares me now.

On offense, Clinton Portis appears to have lost a lot of tread on his tires, and who knows how much longer Mark Brunell can play at a high level?

sorry, bith of these remarks had me laughing my ass off. to continue, wouldn't you have to start? and since when does being hurt = losing tread?

Archived