Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Dog roaming the neighborhood right now...

H-O-G

I don't think 'tags' is the issue. Your dog getting 'lost' isn't the #1 concern - people have kids - any large dog (and that breed in particular) can attack a kid, another animal, even an adult. The sentence you uttered to reassure is exactly what every dog owner says, right after their 'pet' kills or maims someone. It happens all the time. If you can't enclose your animal or take the time to put him on a leash, you aren't smart enough or responsible enough to own one. And actually, I don't blame you - what are your parents thinking???

I recognize that sounds harsh, but I literally had a neighborhood dog (same breed as yours btw) that cornered my wife, bared its teeth, and growled in my driveway twice. I told his owner that the next time I saw him he was going to get a bullet in his brain. Sorry but I put my kids and wife's safety about a gazillion notches over some pet owners desire to let their animals run unsupervised.

By the way, I have a large dog that I love. But I also realize you never know what your pet will do in all circumstances, and that its not my right to cross my fingers and hope she'd never do anything to a fellow human being. If mine ever decided to get aggressive, there would be very little an unarmed person could do to stop her.

I don't think 'tags' is the issue. Your dog getting 'lost' isn't the #1 concern - people have kids - any large dog (and that breed in particular) can attack a kid, another animal, even an adult. The sentence you uttered to reassure is exactly what every dog owner says, right after their 'pet' kills or maims someone. It happens all the time. If you can't enclose your animal or take the time to put him on a leash, you aren't smart enough or responsible enough to own one. And actually, I don't blame you - what are your parents thinking???

I recognize that sounds harsh, but I literally had a neighborhood dog (same breed as yours btw) that cornered my wife, bared its teeth, and growled in my driveway twice. I told his owner that the next time I saw him he was going to get a bullet in his brain. Sorry but I put my kids and wife's safety about a gazillion notches over some pet owners desire to let their animals run unsupervised.

By the way, I have a large dog that I love. But I also realize you never know what your pet will do in all circumstances, and that its not my right to cross my fingers and hope she'd never do anything to a fellow human being. If mine ever decided to get aggressive, there would be very little an unarmed person could do to stop her.

I agree completely with you. Our Dog, who can be a chicken at times, and when soemone comes into our house barks at them, but when around us is the sweetest dog you'll see, I wouldnt say attacked our nieghbor, but our neighbor was coming into my yard to say Hi, and when she ran abck into hers, she startled our dog, and she bit at her skirt and ripped it, luckly, she didnt get hurt, and was only a rip, nothng horrible. But I never thought my dog would do that, so you have to be real careful.

I was already on the bus though...I left my mom a message on her phone 3 seconds later telling her I saw him near the road...I hope she didn't leave for work without finding him. I'm prolly blowing this way out of proportion, 5 minutes later she most likely got in her car and found him. She knew he was gone when I told her, she said..."I'm tired of him running away, Annie always comes in and Apollo knows better"...

Well there's your problem right there. It's your mom who should know better. I don't mean to harp on you but for the safety of the dog and everyone else, please make sure you don't give him the opporutnity to escape. If he wanders and you don't hvae a fenced yard, you need to take him out on a leash EVERYTIME he needs to go out. It's part of being a responsible dog owner. You owe that to your dog and the neighbors and if your mom isn't going to be responsible with the dog, you need to take the onus on yourself to properly care for him. Good luck, I'm glad he's back safe.

PS In the future, like others said, stop the bus driver and tell him. You should always do everything you can to recover him as quickly as possible, you can't just leave him out there like that.

PS Hog - I know my answer was extremely strong, and its not fair to lay all that on you. Just leave it at, any time a large animal could even [potentially hurt someone, you have to be safe. Nothing personal. Hey, at least you're worried about something other than yourself at age 16 - thats probably more than I could have said at that age :laugh:

lol, thanks tarhog.

When my mom got home I asked her what exactly happened. She said that she went out side and called him for about 10 minutes, nothing. She gets on her coat and is going to get in the car to look for him and hes standing right next to the door. In all fairness its nice to know that he understands where his home is (we moved like 3 months ago). I stopped by PetsMart last night and got a tag for him with his name, a phone number and the street adress. But I know darn well if I saw a rotweiler trotting around my neighborhood the last thing I would do is walk up to and reach around its neck to find the tag lol. Thanks for all the advice and concerns everyone!

Archived