Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GIBBS : spends bye week assessing Redskins’ poor start ~ ~ ~

kelly

Why don't you go cheer for Dallas. You live there. More reasons why Dallas is worthless.

The way you talk your the one that might as well cheer for them. I hace to deal with Cowboys fans with 10 times the knowledge you have about football. I can handle any debate you wanna have little man.

Why do these always end up being a "Offensive vs Defense" problem? As if just one of them has problems and needs to be fixed. Of course our D sucks right now. The main problem there, however, is that it is more of a combined unit problem where issues cascade and cause other issues (injuries, lack of pass rush which leads to more stress on subpar CBs which leads to safeties having to babysit CBs, etc). Are there people who should probably be benched or changed around on the defense? Sure, but it still leaves issues of overall cohesiveness. On the offensive side of the ball, however, Brunell really does seem to be the main weak link holding them back.

I have heard tons of excuses for him: it is a new system, the O-line sucks, he is just being smart and not giving up turnovers, etc...none of which really hold that much water. Yes it is a new system and if that were the case we'd see receivers missing routes and not getting open and all that jazz, but people at the games have seen the opposite: there have been plenty of times where there is an open receiver (or two) but they simply don't even get looked at. You can see the frustration and disgust in their faces sometimes when they show them after the plays. Is our O-line the best? Nope, but they certainly aren't the worst; they have a very low number of sacks allowed and contrary to what some people say do create pockets many times...the problems is that Brunell usually won't step up into them and use them. He just keeps backpedaling and stays back there where, eventually, the DEs get back around to him...or he runs right into one. Who cares if he doesn't give up turnovers if we can hardly convert on 3rd downs? Pretty much any QB in the league who threw a high percentage of screens and dump offs would also not have many turnovers. The bottom line is that he is not getting it done.

This also has a cascade effect, since other teams know that Brunell either won't or can't go downfield for the most part. So they stack the box and pretty much shuts down our running game and gets Portis more banged up in the process. I don't think Campbell is a savior or anything but there isn't a single thing Brunell is doing right now that Campbell couldn't do. But at least with Campbell we could have the possibility of a downfield threat or someone who would at least look at the open receivers downfield. The defense has serious issues...I am not arguing that at all. I simply feel that the offensive issue is more centralized and might be a bit easier to address given all the talent we have in the receiving corps and rushing.

Just my :2cents:

And add in that we aren't running the ball and don't have the time of possession that we did last year and maybe the defense sucked last year too, we just didn't see them on the field for 30-35 minutes a game, it was more like 25 most of the time.

See, what people fail to comprehend is that you need a passing game for your running game to work, and vice versa. Most defenses play us perfectly, put 8 in the box, if we run, great, if we do our usual dink or dunk pass, great. So don't put this on our defense. The offense has been absolutely pitifull this season.

See, what people fail to comprehend is that you need a passing game for your running game to work, and vice versa. Most defenses play us perfectly, put 8 in the box, if we run, great, if we do our usual dink or dunk pass, great. So don't put this on our defense. The offense has been absolutely pitifull this season.

The defense is just as much to blame. And where i agree that a passing game helps the the running game, its usually the ground game that sets up the pass game.

Yes you do. When the defense knows that they have the worst qb in the league, it affects their play. Plus the 3 and outs have worn them down. It's hard to run block when the other team laughs at even the suggestion that a ball will be thrown more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimage.

I have to agree with SoCalskins here. The defense is on the field way to much. If your offense cannot sustain drives, the defense gets worn out. It is a joke to see so many 3 and outs. This team should be ranked at the top in offense, and were one of the worst. It starts at the quarterback men, he initiates the play, he is the leader of a play, and is the decision maker. Brunell has failed miserably at his responsibilties, and until we get a quarterback who can make good decisions and sustain drives, our defense will be suspect due to fatigue.

I have to agree with SoCalskins here. The defense is on the field way to much. If your offense cannot sustain drives, the defense gets worn out. It is a joke to see so many 3 and outs. This team should be ranked at the top in offense, and were one of the worst. It starts at the quarterback men, he initiates the play, he is the leader of a play, and is the decision maker. Brunell has failed miserably at his responsibilties, and until we get a quarterback who can make good decisions and sustain drives, our defense will be suspect due to fatigue.

So its Brunell that doesnt call Portis #?

I have to agree with SoCalskins here. The defense is on the field way to much.
Do you know why the are on the field so long? Because they can't stop anybody. How many first and second series drives have the defense allowed points on? A ton and that is the absolute freashest a defense is going to be and they still couldn't stop anybody. Now add in the fact the offense is just as bad and well you get to 2-5.

To take sides on an argument of this nature is useless, when it is obvious that both sides of the ball need just as much help as the other.

I mean that defensive run was one of the most amazing I have ever seen, no doubt. Maybe they changed things too much during the offseason. I thought just a pass rusher would have been all we needed. But inuries have just killed it all this season and some of the guys just aren't playing as well as i think they could. But 2-5 should be all the motivation you need to want to play hard. I sure wouldn't have wanted to be out there wearing the uniform and then lose to the Titans (a winless team at the time) at home. And I sure hope they don't lose to the girls at home. DC used to be a stronghold for the Skins back at the old RFK. Time to make Fed Ex Field a stronghold.

Do you know why the are on the field so long? Because they can't stop anybody. How many first and second series drives have the defense allowed points on? A ton and that is the absolute freashest a defense is going to be and they still couldn't stop anybody. Now add in the fact the offense is just as bad and well you get to 2-5.

To take sides on an argument of this nature is useless, when it is obvious that both sides of the ball need just as much help as the other.

Thank you for making sense and not arguing like a 5 yearr old.

I will repeat myself for the 50th time. The D has played well in enough in the games we have lost to give a chance to the offense to win it. The reason why most of you are saying the D is the problem is because we have been used in the past 2 years to have a D that actually would win the game outright. Not anymore. Our offense has to step up and do it for a change and Brunell is the main reason its not.

Actually last year we dropped 6 spots in total defense from 3rd to 9th. There was a huge drop off without Pierce, as far as total yards allowed and rushing yards allowed, and it is really becoming evidnet this year. As I much as it pains me to say, we really screwed the pooch by not resigning Pierce. The best the LBer's ever looked under GW was the lineup of Pierce, Washington, and Marshall. No lineup since has been as good and as consistant as that trio. Here's a breakdown.

267.6 total ypg 3rd overall

81.5 rushing ypg 2nd overall

186.1 passing ypg 7th overall

16.6 ppg 5th overall

297.9 ypg 9th overall 30.3 ypg increase

105.4 rushing ypg 13th overall 23.9 ypg increase

192.6 passing ypg 10th overall only 6.5 ypg increase

18.3 ppg 9th overall 1.7 increase in points allowed

I won't even post this years as we know that is a F'ing nightmare.

Agreed. Of all the players we've failed to resign/retain, Pierce is the one I regret most. He was our defensive leader - that's undisputed and not talked about enough. The guy was also incredibly sharp at running the defense and calling defensive audibles and making sure everyone was lined up. And just taking him by himself versus Marshall, Pierce was actually able to go make plays from the Mike position, including in the offensive backfield. I can't remember the last time that Marshall made a play upfield.

Marshall's a diligent, hard-working guy, but he's a pale imitation of Antonio Pierce. I'm hopeful that between now and next year we have new starters at our Mike and Will positions because Marshall and Holdman are a weak spot on our team. I wouldn't even be opposed to moving Marshall back to Will given his solid performance there in 2004, but I'm not sure Khary Campbell can handle the Mike and that also leaves McIntosh without a role. I wonder if Rocky could play MLB.

I will repeat myself for the 50th time. The D has played well in enough in the games we have lost to give a chance to the offense to win it. The reason why most of you are saying the D is the problem is because we have been used in the past 2 years to have a D that actually would win the game outright. Not anymore. Our offense has to step up and do it for a change and Brunell is the main reason its not.

I totally disagree. Our offense has its own problems to be sure, but our defense has taken a major step backwards and it's killing us right now. We're currently 24th in the league in points against; in 2004, with by far a more inept offense, we were 5th in points against. Those numbers are not deceptive; defensively we have gone from 5th best to 7th worst in two years.

I agree that you can't assume that your defense will always be strong enough to "win games for you", but OTOH anyone with a pair of eyes and a brain in their head can see that this is not even a shadow of the solid defenses that we've had.

This kills us in a variety of ways, not least of which we've been trailing early in most of our games which has made Saunders (even more) reluctant to call running plays. I've already written posts here about why the offense is performing badly, but our biggest problem is that this defense is so poor they can't even run the aggressive blitz schemes that their coach designed them to run, forget about running them well.

And I will repeat myself, the offense has played well enough that we should be 4-3 if the defense had played well (and that's about what we'd be if just the offense had played well). Overall, while its both sides of the ball have contributed to the TOP problem, the defense has consistently given up multiple long drives in games. As far as YPG, we are one of the better offenses in the NFL while the defense is one of the worst.

On the hope side, we have a pretty good run defense, if we could stop the pass, we'd be stoning the run. We should have all our horses back, so maybe our pass defense will wake up. In the 2-5 span last year that is probably most similar to this period, a big problem was that we could not stop the run and not generate TOs. Also, our offense was leaving points on the field all last year (okay, we aren't even getting the chance this year) and on several occassions, giving them away. At least our offense isn't giving points away (6 versus 20 in the most similar span). We do need to start executing more consistently, the bye may give us a chance to figure out how.

Last season, after going 2-5, we won the next 6 games, why? The defense woke up, started stopping the run and forcing turnovers. We were hitting people which we had only been doing occasionally since the second half of the Seattle game, our tackles were crisp. On offense, we went to what worked best (looks like we tried in the San Deigo game but failed) and ran the ball down our opponents throats (not that Brunell's #s were bad but about 31 of the 32 teams out there cannot consistently rely on the QB and maybe that's 32 of 32). Our ability to run the ball seems to be better this year than last.

Redskins should cut all the high paid players who arent preforming . Take the salary cap hit and start rebuilding through the draft. this year is over and so is next if they continue to play these losers

I feel the same, but I doubt it would happen. Our FO seems to keep on doing the same mistakes every year, and next year we will have a low 1st round (what I figured out with the Denver trade), a 5th ,6th, and 7th. So I guess there will be more FAs signings next year.

I feel the same, but I doubt it would happen. Our FO seems to keep on doing the same mistakes every year, and next year we will have a low 1st round (what I figured out with the Denver trade), a 5th ,6th, and 7th. So I guess there will be more FAs signings next year.

hopefully we will not trade away any of our draft picks . . . :rolleyes:

irak.jpg

Not that many FA signings, when you look at it. The only real "need" areas on this team is at DE and CB. One of those can be taken care of by the 1st round pick, if there is an appropriate player there. The other can be taken care of in FA.

Meanwhile, the 5th, 6th and 7th (and trading into the draft if there is a player we like), can fill out some depth in places where we could use it. (LB, CB, OL, TE)

I don't see many needs talentwise on the offense. Mostly, they look pretty set there.

Jason

Guest Rafterman
Its the coaches who refuse to replace players who are not preforming:

Holdman on defense cant get off a block keeps missing tackles

Archuletta couldnt cover my grand mother

Carter is club footed and slow(looks like his 40 times would be in the 6s

Marshall is to small to play middle linebacker( he is getting destroyed on running plays)

Kenny Wright is a backup at best

Boonell sucks( 3 and outs putting to much pressure on defense)

These players should be benched but Gibbs is to hard headed. The 06 redskins have below average talent starting and until that changes wins will be very scarce

Redskins should cut all the high paid players who arent preforming . Take the salary cap hit and start rebuilding through the draft. this year is over and so is next if they continue to play these losers

:notworthy

You summed it up beautifully!

Anyone else loving the modern NFL as much as I am? Salary cap, free agency, revenue sharing, etc. have done exactly what they were intended to do. Destroy the dynasties, increase the mediocrity, and give the Arizonas and Detroits hope every year that this year will be different. We used to have 2nd string O-linemen that are now in the Hall of Fame...I'm just not sure things will ever be what they once were for the skins...

Anyone else loving the modern NFL as much as I am? Salary cap, free agency, revenue sharing, etc. have done exactly what they were intended to do. Destroy the dynasties, increase the mediocrity, and give the Arizonas and Detroits hope every year that this year will be different. We used to have 2nd string O-linemen that are now in the Hall of Fame...I'm just not sure things will ever be what they once were for the skins...

possible but, doubtful . . . :(

:cheers:

uncle_john_small2.JPG

Archived