Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell vs. Other QBs...A Little Perspective

Moss Boss

It's not merely that Brunell get's a lot of yards after the catch, it's that the Redskins get more yards after the catch as percentage of total passing yards than any team in the entire league. At 59% of total passing yards we eclipse all others.

Ladell Betts is Brunell's second favorite target on the team, behind Moss. This should be concerning first and foremost because Betts isn't even on the field all that often, meaning that when he accumulated his good-for-second-on-the-team 23 receptions, he did so in less field time than Portis and Moss. He also has more yards after the catch than total receiving yards meaning Brunell passes to him more often behind the line of scrimmage than past it. This is familiar to all Redskins fans who have watched games since Betts is Brunell's favorite target on third and 7-9... because he inexplicably always dumps it to Betts 3 yards behind the LOS to kill the drive.

Whatever you may think about Brunell throwing deep as often as other opponents, the fact is (and you can check the play-by-play) that we've played 6 of 7 games from behind, and yet amazingly Brunell has only thrown more deep passes than his opponents once, against the Giants.

In regulation:

Jags 9 deep throws

Brunell 6

Vikings 12 deep throws

Brunell 4

Cowboys 5 deep throws

Brunell 3

Texans 3 deep throws

Brunell one

Titans 10 deep throws

Brunell 10 deep throws (including his late game interception)

Colts 5

Brunell 5

His completion on these passes has been horrid. And the amount of truly deep attempts (as in not just past the 15 yard bubble considered "deep" by the NFL) is even more lopsided.

I suppose you also look at the play of all the other QBs in all their games.

You must be a busy man.

The good ones I look at.

I watch about 5-10 games a week, on Tivo.

It makes them go by in about an hour. Its fun.

It is also why I know that Carlos Rogers is as good or better than almost all 2nd year CBs in the league.

Our defense is screwed up too, and needs to be gutted and has been destroyed by letting Smoot and Pierce and Clark leave - but we can't get them back.

We CAN see what the guy we drafted with a value of the 16th pick in the draft (that is the actual value, the 05 value is closer to the 5th pick in the draft) can do.

If JC had played a bit at the end of the Cowboy and Colts game, things would different.

The problem with MB is not just the "deep ball", or even mostly the deep ball it is the balls over the middle 6th of the field, where you beat the Cover 2 - and where he is woefully inneffective.

This allows defenses to rush LBers consistently overloading the O-Line, because they have no fear of Brunell throwing a pass to a WR when a defender is withing one step of the receiver. He also is very bad at stepping into the pocket and helping out the O-Line with their blocks.

Just my :2cents:

You can't look at numbers and make assumptions like this. Ok, you took his splits and came to a conclusion. Fine. Yet you didn't post his stats per quarter, or the more telling one, his stats inside and outside the seams.

He's the safest quarterback in the league, and although it's good to be safe, you need to have enough guts to take a few risk to win games. You can't just throw to the middle of the field when a reciever doesn't have a defender closer than 5 yards of him. It's almost never going to happen. Use some accuracy and allow your recievers to make a play. We have one of the most athletic reciever cores in the league, let them make some plays downfield (as in 10-15 yard range) instead hitches, slants, and screens all day.

Defenses know what we're going to do. And a disciplined, good-tackling defense will keep Moss and Randle El from getting many first downs from screens. Our offense never keeps defenses on their toes. Sometimes, you need to run plays that you know have a low likelihood of working just to let the defense know "we will do it." Which means the defense is going to try and cover all it's bases, THEN you can go back to your bread and butter. Saunders just runs the same plays, yet in different formations, and never seems to understand that the defense knows it's coming.

Interesting Thread, brings up the old Stats vs. Watching the game argument

yet again.

If your line doesnt give you enough time to keep your QB safe and to let your recievers get open downfield, then how can that QB throw the ball deep?

The only way:

That team needs a mobile QB, with a strong arm, who can rollout after play-action, or who can avoid the original rush and then, when Moss and ARE and Lloyd get seperation, throw it all the way down the fooking field!!!!

In my opinion, all the two yard dump offs, aren't designed plays, there all Brunell can do because he cant avoid the pressure bless him, so he just dumps it off to Betts / Portis.

Maybe as well, the playcalling has to involve this back being open in the backfield, because they are compensating for Mark's lack of mobility?

Either way, I'd love to see what JC can do in this offense.

I see, so what you're saying is that even though our guys can make big plays with the ball without risking throws over longer distances that can lead to INT"s, we should throw deep anyway? It's called playing to your strengths, and while what we're doing is certainly not perfect, it's not off base either. Get off the sauce.

Good Qbs throw the ball downfield without throwing a ton of INTS....

and the fact is our guys ARENT making big plays with the ball in key games...go look at the last 3 games, all losses....

Moss et al. have proven time and again that if you can get them the ball even 10 yards down field they can make some miraculous things happen...

We aren't calling plays right now to our strengths, we are calling plays that dont expose our weaknesses...thats not the same thing...

brunell is averaging 200 yards and 1 TD a game right now....but, yeah, you're right, thats fantastic, because he has only thrown 3 INTs...

personally, Ill take 2 INTs a game from a qb that throws 3 TDs...

this is moot though, because this team has systemic failures at almost every position...from O-line, to QB, to D-line, to Linebacker, to Secondary...

we have good players, but for whatever reason they arent playing right now...and this includes brunell....

if brunell had played the EXACT same way, and we were 4-3 or 5-2 right now there is no way i would advocate going to Campbell...but we are 2-5, and we are a BAD 2-5

14th in the NFC, ahead of only the cardinals and lions

26th in the NFL, ahead of only the browns, raiders, titans, cardinals, lions, and dolphins...

its time to solve our problems....

really believe we are going to the playoffs? with the 26th ranked defense in the league and an offense that had SEVEN out of TEN of their offensive drives end in 3 and outs in the second half against the MIGHTY titans???

maybe you should lay off the sauce

The good ones I look at.

I watch about 5-10 games a week, on Tivo.

It makes them go by in about an hour. Its fun.

It is also why I know that Carlos Rogers is as good or better than almost all 2nd year CBs in the league.

Our defense is screwed up too, and needs to be gutted and has been destroyed by letting Smoot and Pierce and Clark leave - but we can't get them back.

We CAN see what the guy we drafted with a value of the 16th pick in the draft (that is the actual value, the 05 value is closer to the 5th pick in the draft) can do.

If JC had played a bit at the end of the Cowboy and Colts game, things would different.

The problem with MB is not just the "deep ball", or even mostly the deep ball it is the balls over the middle 6th of the field, where you beat the Cover 2 - and where he is woefully inneffective.

This allows defenses to rush LBers consistently overloading the O-Line, because they have no fear of Brunell throwing a pass to a WR when a defender is withing one step of the receiver. He also is very bad at stepping into the pocket and helping out the O-Line with their blocks.

Just my :2cents:

You can't look at numbers and make assumptions like this. Ok, you took his splits and came to a conclusion. Fine. Yet you didn't post his stats per quarter, or the more telling one, his stats inside and outside the seams.

He's the safest quarterback in the league, and although it's good to be safe, you need to have enough guts to take a few risk to win games. You can't just throw to the middle of the field when a reciever doesn't have a defender closer than 5 yards of him. It's almost never going to happen. Use some accuracy and allow your recievers to make a play. We have one of the most athletic reciever cores in the league, let them make some plays downfield (as in 10-15 yard range) instead hitches, slants, and screens all day.

Defenses know what we're going to do. And a disciplined, good-tackling defense will keep Moss and Randle El from getting many first downs from screens. Our offense never keeps defenses on their toes. Sometimes, you need to run plays that you know have a low likelihood of working just to let the defense know "we will do it." Which means the defense is going to try and cover all it's bases, THEN you can go back to your bread and butter. Saunders just runs the same plays, yet in different formations, and never seems to understand that the defense knows it's coming.

2 of my favorit posts of the day so far. You guys saved me from having to type all that out lol. Great posts.

Why do Gibbs & Co. call such a "safe" game? Someone please remind them that we are 2-5 because I swear they still think we have a win pct of .750 and are leading the NFC East. What gives with the gutless play?

GC

"Wow, I show a couple points that Brunell bashers love to use:

1. We don't go deep enough and are inefficient at doing so

Yet, when you look at the numbers of other QBs, there isn't much difference if any at all in the accuracy they show on the deep ball or the amount of times they actually go deep. But I guess that doesn't matter."

your sense of humor is unparalleled! on any random Sunday...watch a Skins game and watch an Iggles/Pats/Boys/Gints/fill in the blank.....game and you will SEE the difference.

Now, to compare Brunell to other QBs around the league:

Since the main criticism is that Brunell doesn't throw deep often enough or accurately enough, let's compare those statistics.

Tom Brady

Passes Thrown 41+ - 0 for 4

Passes Thrown 31-40 - 2 of 9, 70 yards, 1 TD

Passes Thrown 21-30 yards - 7 of 16, 83 rating

Here's Brunell:

Passes Thrown 41+ - 1 for 1

Passes thrown 31-40 1 of 6

Passes thrown 21-30 yards - 8 of 18

So what this shows is that Brady has thrown deep 4 times as often as Brunell, as thrown more 31-40 yard passes, and fewer 21-30 yard passes. He also has fewer total attempts and has been playing with a lead in a majority of his games. HMMMMM.

Byron Leftwich

Passes Thrown 21-30 - 2 for 11, 1 INT

Passes Thrown 31-40 - 0 for 2, 1 INT

Passes Thrown 41+ - 0 for 2

Passes Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage - 28 of 44, 63%

Fewer total completions, fewer games playing from behind. He's also a more accurate passer at passes thrown 11-30 yards, which is kind of clutch in moving the chains. But really why would you want to compare Brunell to Leftwich? He sucks?

Matt Hasselbeck

Passes Thrown 41+ - 1 for 1, 42 yards, TD

31-40 - 2 for 10, 1 TD, INT

21-30 - 3 for 8

Behind Line and 1-10 yards - 2 TDs, 4 INTs

Numbers are wrong, he has 12 attempts at 21-30 and 11 at 31-40. So in overall attempts he matches up with Brunell, despite having nearly 30 fewer overall attempts and playing from behind less frequently.

Why aren't they throwing deep? Also of note is that the reason many of these players have high ratings for deep balls is because they have scored TDs on them. Not sure if you can pin that one on Brunell.

They are throwing deep. You just neglected to compare them to Brunell.

Jake Delhomme

41+ - 1 of 3, 1 TD

31-40 - 1 of 6, 1 TD

21-30 - 3 of 16, 1 TD, 1 INT

We can ponder this one over as well.

Numbers wrong again. He is 4 for 20 at 21-30 yards and has 7 attempts at 31-40. Again... he throws deep more often than Mark Brunell.

Carson Palmer

41+ - 1 for 1 - 51 yards

31-40 - 2 for 5, 1 TD

21 - 30 - 4 for 11, 1 TD

Numbers are wrong again. He has 7 attempts at 31-40 and is 5 of 16 at 21-30. He also has fewer attempts than Brunell and plays from behind with less frequency.

Why don't they go deep more often?

They do.

Eli Manning

Behind 15-21 - 15 of 20, 172 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Behind 22+ - 12 of 16, 141 yards, 2 TDs

Manning:

21-30 6 for 14

31-40 5 for 8

41+ 2 for 4

With fewer attempts overall attempts he has more at 21+ including 4 times as many at 41+. Our criticism of Brunell is that he doesn't throw deep enough. That seems vindicated.

Also, it seems to me that teams don't go as deep as people think they do.

Our opponents do.

Yes our offense is not as good as it should be. yes brunnell is doing a lot of dump off passes when he should be going deep. But the fact stands that our offense is still doing better then our defense. Our defense needs more adjustments then the offense. But because all of you brunnell haters have wanted him benched since the offseason, you fail to recognize that our defense is our biggest weakness right now.

"Wow, I show a couple points that Brunell bashers love to use:

Yet, when you look at the numbers of other QBs, there isn't much difference if any at all in the accuracy they show on the deep ball or the amount of times they actually go deep. But I guess that doesn't matter."

your sense of humor is unparalleled! on any random Sunday...watch a Skins game and watch an Iggles/Pats/Boys/Gints/fill in the blank.....game and you will SEE the difference.

you will see an even bigger difference when it comes to the defense. Remember offense wins games, defense wins championships.

Ignoring that you chose a bunch of currently underwhelming QBs to compare Brunell to, let's do it this way:

Comparing total attempts on or behind the line of scrimmage up to 10 yards out as a percentage of total passes. Here's what we find:

Brunell:

206 attempts 150 either behind the line of scrimmage or within the 1-10 yard range. 72% of his passes do not travel 10 yards down the field.

Tom Brady:

189 attempts 131 either behind the line of scrimmage or within the 1-10 yard range. 69% of his passes do not travel 10 yards down the field.

Leftwich:

183 attempts 129 within 10 yards. 70%

Hassleback:

176 attempts 112 within 10. 63%

Delhomme:

239 attempts 157 within 10. 65%

Palmer:

196 attempts 135 within 10. 68%

Eli Manning:

202 attempts 130 within 10. 64%

First key difference is that all those QBs play for winning teams (or .500 in Leftwiche's and Palmer's case), meaning they are facing leads less. Brunell, despite nearly always playing from behind still manages to throw the ball short more often than every single QB you mentioned and, I would WAGER, more than virtually any QB in the entire league.

So, the argument that Brunell is a coward and does not throw deep is vindicated.

Not to mention the above doesn't even factor in our screen passes that are so close to the LOS that the NFL has to count them as runs. Moss has 82 "rushing".

You people aren't really watching the games, though. You're watching us get crushed on defense and then somehow acting like that's Brunell's fault. He's just trying to point out that it's not Brunell's fault.

We know it isn't Brunell's fault. The defense sucks.

But just because the defense is horrible doesn't mean the offense gets a free pass either. Is it impossible to score more than 3 points against the Giants? Not exactly, as Indy, Seattle, and Dallas all put up over 20 points against them. Did the defense lose that game?

Was it impossible to beat Dallas when the d gave up 27 points? Maybe, but we could've done better than 3. Our division rivals Philly and Giants both put up enough points to win that game. Why can't we?

Was it impossible to beat a 25 point Titans scoring offense? Well the Jets put up more points than us. The Cowgirls and San Diego both hung 40 points against the Titans.

The fact is we have better skill position players on offense than any team in teh league. We have one of the best offensive minds in the NFL as well as one of the best head coaches in NFL history. The fact that we are only 18th in scoring offense is a national-sized embarrassment. We should be in the top 5 with ARE, Moss, Lloyd, Cooley, Portis, Betts, and company. Brunell is the only thing keeping us back.

you have to take shots down field...thats part of the game...are they a high percentage pass..no..but you have to let the defense know that you are willing to try..so they just dont key on short passes and runs....the play calling makes the team to monatone....and even though throwing the ball down field is not high percentage if somebody happens to snag one ...which it looks like any of our receivers could do...it will get the team pumped up...and change momentum....

Brunell sucks, he's not our future, and it's time for Campbell. Any of you Skins fans who think otherwise are on Gibbs's root! I am a huge Skins fan and I'm sick of Joe Gibbs and his press conferences after the games. He says the same thing every week! Someone comments about a QB change and he always says Mark's our guy! Or someone may question Brunell's ability and Gibbs is quick to change the topic and point out mistakes throughout the team. There is no doubt that this team is hurting all over but it starts at the QB. He is the leader! If he is not doing so, then you need to address that! Hey Joe!!! It's time to give up on Brunell and admit that you wasted draft picks and spent too much money on a QB that you found at the nursing home! I would actually like to see Gibbs go as well! He is making an ass out of himself! All these top coaches and top money they're paid is a bunch of top bull****!!! The game has passed him bye! It was neat to see him come back but the show is over Joe! Go back to Nascar!

Wow, I show a couple points that Brunell bashers love to use:

Yet, when you look at the numbers of other QBs, there isn't much difference if any at all in the accuracy they show on the deep ball or the amount of times they actually go deep. But I guess that doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

2. Brunell gets all his numbers during garbage time

Yet again, his numbers show in CLOSE games that his production is basically equal to that of his overall numbers. And if you look at other QBs, many of their numbers come in garbage time as well. But I guess that doesn't matter :rolleyes:

3. That the defense isn't our biggest problem

Yet, we are 28th in average yards per drive given up and 30th TOs forced per drive, while we are average in all aspects of drive efficiency. If our defense forced a few more TO's, our offense would start with better field position, and therefore score more points. But again, I guess that doesn't matter :rolleyes:

Don't bother man. Alot of people on this board don't want to see facts that prove them wrong. They prefer to just go with the popular scapegoat. Its easier that way.

I agree with what you said in your first post. Although Campbell does need to start now, Brunell isn't the problem.

You know, we can go on and on cherry picking whatever stats we want to. We can do the same thing with just about every other quarterback in the league.

Here are some of Brunell's splits:

behind by 1-7 points - 42 of 77, 545, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 75 rating

ahead by 1-7 points - 19 of 26, 192 yards, 2 TDs, 119.4

Tied - 17 of 27, 212 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 96.5 rating

Basically, this is close to his overall rating now.

Garbage Time 15+ points - 28 of 41, 275 yards, 1 TD

That is also pretty close to his production now, but his rating his higher due to no INTs.

As for our third down production, yeah its a problem, but again we rank 16th in terms of drive success rate and 16th in yards per drive.

On the other hand, our defense is ranked 28th in average yards per drive, 24th in drive success rate, and 31st in forced TO's per drive.

I'm curious, don't people think our offense would put up more points with better field position (due to forcing more TO's) and more possessions (having the defense get key stops)?

Now, to compare Brunell to other QBs around the league:

Tom Brady

Behind by 1-7 points - 78.5 rating

Ahead by 1-7 points - 89.9 rating

Garbage Time - 18 of 26, 168 yards, 1 TD

Passes Thrown 41+ - 0 for 4

Passes Thrown 31-40 - 2 of 9, 70 yards, 1 TD

Passes Thrown 21-30 yards - 7 of 16, 83 rating

Hmm...what happens when you take away Brady's garbage stats. Why isn't he more accurate throwing down field?

Byron Leftwich

Passes Thrown 21-30 - 2 for 11, 1 INT

Passes Thrown 31-40 - 0 for 2, 1 INT

Passes Thrown 41+ - 0 for 2

Passes Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage - 28 of 44, 63%

Garbage Time - 11 of 23, 2 TDs

Behind 1-7 - 49.3 rating

But wait...he has a strong arm so he must be good right? And why don't they go deep more often?

Matt Hasselbeck

Passes Thrown 41+ - 1 for 1, 42 yards, TD

31-40 - 2 for 10, 1 TD, INT

21-30 - 3 for 8

Behind Line and 1-10 yards - 2 TDs, 4 INTs

Garbage Time - 28 of 44, 3 TDs, 2 INTs

Why aren't they throwing deep? Also of note is that the reason many of these players have high ratings for deep balls is because they have scored TDs on them. Not sure if you can pin that one on Brunell.

Jake Delhomme

41+ - 1 of 3, 1 TD

31-40 - 1 of 6, 1 TD

21-30 - 3 of 16, 1 TD, 1 INT

We can ponder this one over as well.

Carson Palmer

41+ - 1 for 1 - 51 yards

31-40 - 2 for 5, 1 TD

21 - 30 - 4 for 11, 1 TD

11-20 - 15 for 31, 1 TD, 2 INT

Why don't they go deep more often?

Eli Manning

Behind 15-21 - 15 of 20, 172 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Behind 22+ - 12 of 16, 141 yards, 2 TDs

What do you get when you take out his garbage time stats?

And do you guys even want me to get into the Plummers, McNairs, Bledsoes, Roethlisbergers, and Culpeppers????

You take out garbage times stats of any QB, you will see their rating drop. To the contrary, Brunell actually does at least decent in games of tied - 7 point margins.

Also, it seems to me that teams don't go as deep as people think they do.

It also seems that the geniuses who can break an NFL record and have a 90 QB rating by throwing just dump offs and screens would actually have a much tougher time doing so because it seems most QBs have not been nearly as efficient as Brunell in doing so, and most have at least 1 INT on this short routes. And yes, spare me, I know we get a ton of yards after the catch, but of course the reason for that is YPC is a specialty of our receivers. Why blame Brunell for that?

As others have said: Brunell is what he is, which is an old average (maybe a slightly above average) QB. Maybe, just maybe, if the defense can get off the damn field or at least force a TO that will give the offense more possessions and better field position, which would in all liklihood lead to more points. I am now in favor of starting Campbell because it is time to see what he has got, not because of Brunell's play.

Have you watched any of the games?

People annoucing the game run out of things to say because they dont want to embarass Mark any further on national television.

He is a below average QB that can only make a few plays and its blatantly obvious to anyone that watches.

It doesnt matter if he has hall of fame stats for the most dump offs ever this team is 2-5 which is the most important stat largely because he can not make plays to win ball games.

Good Qbs throw the ball downfield without throwing a ton of INTS....

and the fact is our guys ARENT making big plays with the ball in key games...go look at the last 3 games, all losses....

Moss et al. have proven time and again that if you can get them the ball even 10 yards down field they can make some miraculous things happen...

We aren't calling plays right now to our strengths, we are calling plays that dont expose our weaknesses...thats not the same thing...

brunell is averaging 200 yards and 1 TD a game right now....but, yeah, you're right, thats fantastic, because he has only thrown 3 INTs...

personally, Ill take 2 INTs a game from a qb that throws 3 TDs...

this is moot though, because this team has systemic failures at almost every position...from O-line, to QB, to D-line, to Linebacker, to Secondary...

we have good players, but for whatever reason they arent playing right now...and this includes brunell....

if brunell had played the EXACT same way, and we were 4-3 or 5-2 right now there is no way i would advocate going to Campbell...but we are 2-5, and we are a BAD 2-5

14th in the NFC, ahead of only the cardinals and lions

26th in the NFL, ahead of only the browns, raiders, titans, cardinals, lions, and dolphins...

its time to solve our problems....

really believe we are going to the playoffs? with the 26th ranked defense in the league and an offense that had SEVEN out of TEN of their offensive drives end in 3 and outs in the second half against the MIGHTY titans???

maybe you should lay off the sauce

You and I seem to agree more than we disagree.

Neither of us thinks Brunell is perfect, but we also see larger problems at work. For me, two bigger problems for us are the defense giving up big plays and the offense's failure to play to its strengths, e.g. building off of a power running game, which I attribute to Saunders and Gibbs.

Brunell is essentially like Bledsoe, Kerry Collins, or Jeff George. If he has time to throw, he can look brilliant, but everything around him needs to be working. If the offense is struggling, particularly with defensive pressure, he's going to look mediocre. Fortunately for us, he looks mediocre by throwing the ball away or only completing short passes as opposed to launching the ball deep for INT's, but it's mediocre nontheless.

Watching the games > Stats.

I can teach a monkey to watch games. Understanding them, however, is a slightly different story.

You need to both watch games and also look at stats. Simply staring at a TV and saying "our offense sucks" gives no insight. What we're trying to discuss here is "why?"

Doesn't it strike you as odd that our offense from last year is nearly intact except for the addition of Lloyd (and Randle El in 3 WR packages), and yet Brunell looks dramatically worse? What's changed? Brunell didn't suddenly forget how to be a QB, and yes I know he wasn't perfect last year, but he certainly looked better.

The place I look to first is Saunders. He's the most fundamental change we've had to our offense, and what I see from his play calling is a lot of creativity but little plan, and certainly no recognition of the fact that our personnel - again, little changed from last year - was built around the idea that your offense's staple is running and play-action passing, and not something else.

Brunell is limited. We know that. What I don't know is why Saunders seems to fail week after week to put together a game plan that avoids his weaknesses and plays to his strengths.

You people aren't really watching the games, though. You're watching us get crushed on defense and then somehow acting like that's Brunell's fault. He's just trying to point out that it's not Brunell's fault.

You mean it's not ALL Brunell's fault don't you? I believe most people that call for Brunell's benching are well aware of the defense's shortcomings. The Brunell Zombies love to point out that it's the defense not Brunell. It's actually both and they go hand in hand. The defense fails to create turnovers, gets beaten badly on deep balls, yields too many yards on the ground and fails to come off the field on 3rd downs with desired regularity. Conversely, the offense doesn't stay on the field long enough, (and don't use time consuming drives during garbage time to dispute this, besides when you're down 3 scores the last thing you need is a time consuming drive!), fails to attack the middle of the field, and doesn't even pose a deep threat. The fact that defenses only have to cover a fraction of the field affords them an significant edge. The running game suffers greatly because of it. The offense's woes can be largely attributed to the QB, which is why I believe people are calling for a change. In my opinion, Brunell refuses to attack the middle of the field or throw deep out of fear that his inefficiences will become evidence as opposed to suspicion and will lead to a louder clamor for his starting position. The reality is that in the NFL the QB takes too much credit for a team's success and shoulders too much of the blame for a team's poor play. It's not neccessarily fair but it comes with the territory and that's the way it is. The QB is the driver in charge and a team with as many weapons as the Redskins needs someone who will hold up his end of the bargain not just be 'super smart' , 'continue to lead us', 'work his guts out' and any other trite remarks you can muster up.

I think it's funny that one poster suggested that Saunders is to blame because he has failed to come up with a game plan to maximize Brunell's strengths. Catering to Brunell's strengths is exactly what he seems to be doing! Brunell's strengths are dump offs. And this deficiency is beginning to show. All you need to do is pay attention to how less effective our screens have been lately. Without a mid-range passing game, and I think this could be even more important than the deep pass, defenses are minimizing screens and dump offs to 4-5-6 yards. Also, there is this idea that we need to start pounding the ball more. But you can't run the ball for the sake of running it. Of course it doesn't surprise me that stat lovers will use the stats that prove how successful Washington has been when they run more than they pass to back up their statement. But that's not a magic formula that guarantees success. The running game feeds on itself. Being effective on the ground is the key and right now without a passing game that threatens defenses, a banged up running back, and a pair of bookend tackles that are clearly struggling, the running game just isn't getting it done. But don't think for a minute that rushing 40 times for 100 yards will guarantee a victory. In fact, I doubt a team would get to run that many plays in a game with that average per carry.

I don't think, and I doubt the knowledgable fans here do, that Campbell is going to come in and light it up. I think what most people want is to see what he brings to the table and to begin his maturation proccess sooner rather than later. Otherwise, Campbell will just come in next year and take his lumps while ruining yet another season, (although I haven't given up on this one just yet) and who knows where this team will end up down the road. I think the frustration is mostly with the fact that the QB position, presumably the most important position in football, has been badly mishandled by Gibbs. And perhaps some of you need to allow people to have their say without taking it personal.

You and I seem to agree more than we disagree.

Neither of us thinks Brunell is perfect, but we also see larger problems at work. For me, two bigger problems for us are the defense giving up big plays and the offense's failure to play to its strengths, e.g. building off of a power running game, which I attribute to Saunders and Gibbs.

Brunell is essentially like Bledsoe, Kerry Collins, or Jeff George. If he has time to throw, he can look brilliant, but everything around him needs to be working. If the offense is struggling, particularly with defensive pressure, he's going to look mediocre. Fortunately for us, he looks mediocre by throwing the ball away or only completing short passes as opposed to launching the ball deep for INT's, but it's mediocre nontheless.

Classic...this thread began by claiming to offer a little perspective. The poster manipulated statistics as an apology for Brunell and claimed that he was at least as good as other QB's around the league. Then Brunell is compared to Bledsoe, Collins and George! Would anyone trade MB for either of those QB's? While watching the monday night game I actually asked my brother, in jest of course, if Parcells would trade Bledsoe for Brunell. Need anymore be said? :silly:

Not really since I pointed out that the offense is 16th in yards per drive and 16th in drive success rate.

Points per drive - 15th

TDs per drive - 16th

Brunell also leads the league in 3 yard passes on 3rd and long. Our defense does suck so why the rush to get them back on the field?

Archived