Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The newb's blog. My first home game. (updated 4:45)

Henry

12:00 I've arrived at FedEx, through the maze of parking lots and ancient shuttlebuses. themurf met up with me and is making sure I've got all my stuff and am in the right place. After a hike up the stairs we are sitting in the press box. Art wasn't kidding. The home-team sideline is packed with all manner of folks in Redskins jerseys. If the skins weren't so generous as to let ME on the sidelines, I might complain about overcrowding. :)

12:05 Novak just made a practice kick. Looks like things have improved already at the position.

12:10 Heading down to the sidelines. Will report back at haftime.

12:45 Silly me. I decided to come back up to the pressbox just before the Cheerleaders came onto the field. Rookie mistake. Duckett's suited up. I'm guessing he's active today. No Griffin or Salave'a. Other inactives are Rumph, Burns, Pucillo and Molinaro, and David Patten. Let's hope Wright and Rogers are up to the task.

12:53 Heh heh. A reminder just came out over the pressbox loudspeakers that this is, in fact, the pressbox and no cheering is allowed. Way to go Art. :)

1:00 Kickoff. Stadium isn't that full yet. C'mon guys. Lots of empty in the upper decks and, of course, yellow seats.

I got one of those yellow, TV-Sunday ticket things. very cool. This way you several replays after each play. And you can switch over to any game you want at any time.

Completion to Bennett on 3rd and 8. Rogers had him covered until the last second. Nice play by Young to wait until Bennet got free.

1:15 Young is playing very well so far. The pressbox is behind the Titans right now and we basically see what he sees. The coverage isn't terrible, just not consistant, and he's doing a good job of waiting for guys to get open. Hopefully he'll settle down and start messing up soon. :)

1:20 First down to Moss. That play was designed to go to Lloyd in the endzone, but Lloyd couldn't get free. Nice play by Brunell. Nice awareness by Moss.

1:22: Ok, there was some mild cheering and clapping for that TD, and not all of it from me. Just thought you all would like to know. :)

1:36 End of the quarter. Young seems to be calming down. On that long bomb Bennett was WIDE open and Young just missed him. Lot's of groans in the pressbox when that play was developing.

Our OL seems to be getting a nice push so far. I wish I could cheer louder. It's like being at the game, and yet not really. Direct TV tells me 3-0 Texans over Dallas and 10-0 NO over Philly. I'm starting to like this little yellow box. :) Teams are switching sides. Now I'll get to see what Brunell is seeing. I'll let you know if he really does suck :) though today he's looking pretty good so far.

1:57 Nice catch and run by Portis (before the penalty anyway) but Moss was WIDE open down the middle of the field for probably a TD. I don't know why Brunell looked off of him. Bad throw by Brunell on 3rd and 10 into traffic.

2:08 Defense is getting some pretty heavy boos now. I gotta admit, it looks pretty terrible so far. It was good to see Springs out there though, if even for just limited action.

2:16 Brunell took a big hit on that pass and is limping pretty badly. Nice throw to Randel El right afterwards though ... before the fumble. :doh:

2:44 Brunell is still noticably limping ... aaand now Collins is warming up. Hooboy.

4:22 Boy, this place emptied out fast. I just spent the second half on the Titans' sidelines. The crowd really turned on the team as things went south. When Lloyd made that catch and we tied it up, the place got loud. I mean headache-inducing loud. Unfortunately, te team isn't giving us a lot to work with.

The Redskins, as they walked off the field, are cleary frustrated. We may be mad that they stink at the moment, but be sure they are mad to. Sellars kicked a pylon on the way to the tunnell. Brunell walked off whethering a storm of boos and cat-calls with a very grim look on his face. Randy Thomas looked so upset I was tempted to just go over and pat himon the back and tell him everything would be alright, though I suspect that would have gotten me beaten severely. I did yell some encouragement to Cooley as he walked off, but he didn't acknowledge me.

Themurf went to the locker room to talk to the players and I went to the Gibbs press conference. It was very short. I think at this point there isn't much to say. We stink. That's the big story. Anyway, it took three questions before someone asked about a QB change. Gibbs said this was a team loss, and it was tough to put it on one guy, though he did also say he hadn't seen the film yet so he couldn't talk specifics about any particular player. Ambiguous to the last, that Joe Gibbs.

I guess that's it. I'm sitting in an empty press box staring at an empty field in an empty stadium, which is pretty much how I feel, how the season feels. Next week, Indy in Indy off a bye week no less.

Thanks to Tarhog for lending me his camera. I got a lot of pretty terrible shots :) which I will let him sift through and post for you. And thanks to themurf for showing me the ropes and making sure I didn't get myself kicked out or anything. I'll be back when we play Philly. Pray for me. :)

You're from Fairfax, an ES mod, and never been to a home game? How?

Because we beat him & keep him in a cage. At last check, it was Jumbo's turn to watch him. I guess Jumbo fell asleep on the job & he escaped. Guess who we're locking in the cage now. :)

Hope this was a great time for you...I can't wait to get rid of my tickets now.....

As good a time as it could be. I'd love to be here for, you know, a win or something. But it was a pretty amazing experience.

Because we beat him & keep him in a cage. At last check, it was Jumbo's turn to watch him. I guess Jumbo fell asleep on the job & he escaped. Guess who we're locking in the cage now. :)

:laugh:

Because I don't say enough nice things about Snyder. But I've been doing a lot of kissing up lately. :)

Maybe you should watch from Chammps from now on Henry. :(

I'll join ya. :)

Those of us who may never get to a home game still envy you. Even for an awful performance like today.

I still think back to when I got to go to see the Skins play in Jax a few years ago. The Skins lost, but it was my only opportunity to ever see Darrell Green play in person. I still think fondly of that game, even with the loss. The impact of the loss fades with time, but the memory of seeing DG in person is still a thrill!

Ditto...feel bad for everyone who spent money to see that crap. OUr fans deserve better on overpriced tickets....

You've gotta protect your house. That's the part that really upsets me.

My first game was a win but how much different it is to go to a loss. Well i'm 1-1.

I live in Cincy now but grew up in DC and went to my 2nd Fed Ex Field game on Oct. 1st - Skins vs. Jags - we had 6th row seats in the end zone - What an experience - we arrived at noon for a 4pm game and it was pure heaven being around so many Skins fans and the stadium itself..... Great game too - overpriced everything but great!

My only other game at Fedex - Vs. NEwOrleans in Oct. 2002 - Patrick Ramsey's first start during the Spurrier era and the during the DC Sniper deal - which should tell you what a fan I am - risking my life to attend a game!

Thanks to TheMurf for sending me some pics I happened to appear in - what a bunch of cool guys who run this site... Tarhog too...

Thanks Henry and Murph! Y'all did a wonderful job!

Thank you very much. I'm sorry we weren't able to get out to the tailgate. Traffic was horrible getting to and from the media lot before the game. I'm not covering the Cowboys game though, so expect to see my ugly mug then.

Thanks to TheMurf for sending me some pics I happened to appear in - what a bunch of cool guys who run this site... Tarhog too...

Hey man, it's not a problem at all. I'm glad my photos can go to good use. Just spread the word, we've got a great thing going on around here and our fans get the best access they could ever wish for.

Archived