Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dear Diary: JJG 2006

Ax

Dear Diary:

It’s been two years since my last installment, but I felt like I needed to get a few things off my chest.

After the success we had last year, I knew that expectations this year would be for nothing less than a Super Bowl victory. I also know that nothing is a given in life, much less sports. My decision to bring in Al to run the offense, to me, was a real no-brainer. As much as I know we could have simply built on our improvements from last season, the opportunity to install a proven high-powered offense that can be successful for years to come was just too good to pass up. I’m not going to be here for the next ten years. This offensive scheme, with its ability to adapt well to the yearly changes that come in the NFL, will.

Unfortunately, it’s not the easiest system to learn. Our early returns have not been what we had hoped for. We knew we’d struggle early, but we were hoping to be able to still win while doing so. We also didn’t think we’d be without Clinton. Lucky for us, he’ll be back in the lineup this Sunday.

It saddens me to see all the blame for our early offensive struggles being put on Mark. Everybody on the team knows better, but the fans don’t. I’ve heard some of things being said on Extremeskins. God love’em, they’re a passionate group. I just wish they would try and understand better what’s happening here.

I guess if I could use a race car analogy, our timing is off. Lord knows we have the car, but anybody who knows anything about cars knows, if the timing is off, even by a small margin, the car runs like crap, or not at all. We’re this close, but nobody can see that yet. They see Mark look hesitant on a play, and instantly, “He’s got the yips!” But they don’t see what we see. We’re so close. But this scheme requires so much more attention to detail that one missed assignment on a play can make everybody look like they don’t know what they’re doing.

Mark is not the only one struggling to learn this new system. The receivers, tight ends, and running backs are as well. Not to mention all the different blocking schemes the offensive linemen have to learn. I know the fans might not think so, but we’re one block away from things starting to hit. So far, it’s been mostly one guy missing his assignment on a play, and for whatever reason, we seem to suffer the worst case scenario as the result, and everybody seems to be taking turns.

We get a guy open, the protection isn’t there. We get the protection, and the receiver isn’t where he’s supposed to be. We get the protection, the right route, the right read, and a bad throw. One missed block on a running play, a potential big gainer becomes a loss. The guys are committing penalties because they still have to think, rather than just play. It’s frustrating, but not unexpected.

My hope is that, starting this week, we’ll start to tip the balance the other way. When we’ll start having more plays in a game where everybody does what they’re supposed to, instead of having more when we’re not. This has certainly been the case, so far. But we’re not going to let up on our guys. We’re confident that they’re smart enough to get things right, soon. Once this system sinks in, the sky’s the limit. My goal is to have it so that when we finally go to Jason, everybody around him will know their job. Throwing him out there now makes no sense. I want this kid to be able to hit the ground running. We have to get his supporting cast up to speed first. I know the fans want him to start now, but it’s not time yet. Jason is ready to help the team, but the team isn’t in a position yet to really help Jason.

If I was fan, I’d be praying for Mark and the rest of the offense to get on track ASAP. The sooner that happens, the sooner we may start to realize our preseason expectations. I’m sure the defense would appreciate it as well. What could be better than Mark leading the Redskins to another World Championship, and then riding off into the sunset? Leaving an experienced team in place for our young, future star QB to lead next year, and beyond.

PS ~ As for the defense, with the extra time I have on my hands with Al running the offense, I’m able to have more interaction with the defense. I used to just stick my head in the door and say, “Stop’em!”

Now I say, “Stop’em, please!” :D

I guess if I could use a race car analogy, our timing is off. Lord knows we have the car, but anybody who knows anything about cars knows, if the timing is off, even by a small margin, the car runs like crap, or not at all. We’re this close, but nobody can see that yet. They see Mark look hesitant on a play, and instantly, “He’s got the yips!” But they don’t see what we see. We’re so close. But this scheme requires so much more attention to detail that one missed assignment on a play can make everybody look like they don’t know what they’re doing.

You had me up until the "crap" part. I've read Joe's Diary. Worse word I've ever seen in there is "darn."

Sorry, you're busted. :)

And, since I'm the one he/you are addressing here since I'm the "yips" guy ... pffffft. :)

You had me up until the "crap" part. I've read Joe's Diary. Worse word I've ever seen in there is "darn."

And, since I'm the one he/you are addressing here since I'm the "yips" guy ... pffffft. :)

Not true, Omster. During a televised game this preseason, I forget which one, you could clearly see Gibbs mouth the word "crap." It was funny because the announcer (Mike Patrick, I think) said, "That amounts to a profanity-laced tirade from Coach Gibbs." :laugh:

I think some of it goes. Why can't I take Mark out of the game, do I not have it in me. The announcers can see it, former players, fans. But Mark took me to the hospital, and he is a Christian, and he is sooo hot. I sure hope he gets better. There on to me and my man love.

Where are the smilies. can't find them. Good read. Sort of joking, about the gay stuff anyway, I think.

Not true, Omster. During a televised game this preseason, I forget which one, you could clearly see Gibbs mouth the word "crap." It was funny because the announcer (Mike Patrick, I think) said, "That amounts to a profanity-laced tirade from Coach Gibbs." :laugh:

Yeah, I saw that too. I had hopes that he'd go ahead and write it in that night's diary entry, but he didn't. Chalk it up to game-day emotion, I guess, because by the time it reached print that night, ol' Joe wrote:

Got upset on the sidelines today at one point. Cameras might have caught it. So for the record, I said 'crud.' Really.

First off, how'd you get ahold of my diary? Thief!

Secondly, I though you were the ups guy. What can brown do for you?

First off, how'd you get ahold of my diary? Thief!

Haven't you heard? Since the merger, I'm "with the team" now. Full access means FULL access, baby.

Secondly, I though you were the ups guy. What can brown do for you?

It's too late for me.

If they can do anything for Brunell's legs though, I'll gladly pass it forward. :)

Pretty thoughtful post. It puts a possitive spin on things, though I believe that we are more than one block away from getting it.

Hey, I'm a positive kinda guy. The one block away, while true on a number of plays, was more of a eupha...er um, more of a youfa...er um, kind of a different way of saying, we're not as far as some people think.

Good post and it says a lot of what I feel. Especially the part about taking turns screwing up. We really are, we just can't seem to get everybody to the right thing on any given play. I had that same observation.

Great minds think alike. :D

I think some of it goes. Why can't I take Mark out of the game, do I not have it in me. The announcers can see it, former players, fans.

Would these be the same people, who turned out to be wrong btw, that said he was DONE at the beginning of last year too? Isn't there at least a chance they could be wrong yet again?

Nice post Ax. :)

Thank yoooou!

Great post man.

I really believe this weekend is the start of it all for us.

We will continue to grasp the playbooks and once we take care of Houston, we will get some confidence back.

That's the spirit!

Wow! A very thoughtful and entertaining post! Good job.

Thankyouverymuch!

A very nice read AX :read: :thumbsup:

Thanks. Love the Lennon quote.

Nice post, but the problem is if he expected them to struggle wouldn't you do more with it during the pre-season. There seemed to be this sense of were struggling because we are only show a small part of the offense. Not that there is a struggle because the offense is complex and has not been grasped. Saunders himself has rejected it with his comments about how Warner was successful his first year.

Nice post, but the problem is if he expected them to struggle wouldn't you do more with it during the pre-season. There seemed to be this sense of were struggling because we are only show a small part of the offense. Not that there is a struggle because the offense is complex and has not been grasped. Saunders himself has rejected it with his comments about how Warner was successful his first year.

Good question. Maybe he didn't want to expose for all to see that we hadn't quite "gotten it" yet. All any of us can do is guess at this point. But being the proud, self proclaimed Homer that I am, this is how I choose to see things.

And when he turns it around, they'll become the "Yippee-ki-yay's, Mutha"..shut yo mouth! :D

The day I say something like that out loud, please put a .44 between my eyes and end it already.

Promise me. :)

In return, I promise YOU that if Mark "turns it around" in the sense I know we're talking about here, I'll devote a column to telling as much of Skinsworld as I can reach just how wrong I was.

And I'll do it with a smile on my face.

"I guess if I could use a race car analogy, our timing is off. Lord knows we have the car, but anybody who knows anything about cars knows, if the timing is off, even by a small margin, the car runs like crap, or not at all. We’re this close, but nobody can see that yet. They see Mark look hesitant on a play, and instantly, “He’s got the yips!” But they don’t see what we see. We’re so close. But this scheme requires so much more attention to detail that one missed assignment on a play can make everybody look like they don’t know what they’re doing."

dear diary.....I never officially raced a car whose timing was off. I got it working right before taking it "on the road." i was being a little disingenuous before...what can I say?........:-)......

Archived