Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Cowboys Rivalry Quotes

Mark The Homer

Who should get the bulk of the carries Sunday night?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Who should get the bulk of the carries Sunday night?

• TJ "the plow" Duckett
    • Ladell "I tripped over a blade of grass" Betts

I think you may have misunderstood. I am old enough to remember the George Allen days, so it is still a big deal to me. I was referring to the attitude in Dallas in general. The rivalry has lost its luster. We hate Philly and the Giants more now. Nothing personal, guys. Don't worry some of us still hate y'all a bunch. But Dallas is just one of those VERY polarizing teams. You either REALLY love us or REALLY hate us. No in between. Kind of like the Yankees in baseball. Everyone down here REALLY hates them except for a few people which we despise because they live here and should support our team. As far as coming back and insulting y'all after a loss. I have only come back to congratulate. (I've been a member for years but was recently canceled due to inactivity and had to re-join ES again) I come back because its time to play y'all again. It's fun. When we win I usually don't come back. I don't want to seem as though I'm rubbing it in.

To the gentleman that mentioned the "they want to be called Americas Team" thing. We did not ask for that name, Landry did not want it because it gave fuel to our opponents. I put it in my sig because y'all are fun to antagonize. You get so excited, so easily.

One last note about George Allen. I hated him sooooooo bad it hurt, and he hated us with a passion. But when Tom Landry died we had a parade in Downtown Dallas in his honor. It was on a weekday but most businesses closed so everyone could attend. It was huge. Right behind a large wagon with a lot of the Landry era players on it was a convertible with George sitting up high on the back of the car with his feet in the back seat. Paying his respect to Tom. I'll never forget it, it brought tears to my eyes. What a classy guy. It changed my opinion of him forever. It was just football, nothing personal. That's just what the rivalry is. Hate but respect, on our part anyway, for most of us. Y'all don't seem to respect us at all. When you lose, all you do is cry about what y'all did wrong and who needs to be fired. No mention of good play by your opponent. That is why it is fun to mess with y'all, you get so stirred up. I mean no harm. And if y'all win on Sunday, I will be the first one back to congratulate.

Here's to another great game with very few injuries.

George Allen died in 1990. Tom Landry died in 2000. What George Allen was at the parade?

Jerry Jones dissed Tom Landry, a decent man by any measure who's only crime in life was being the coach of the Cowturds. More of a reason to hate you ...<staff edit>

Edited by Mark The Homer

Mark, thanks for the great quotes! It really is an awesome rivalry.

Strangely, these got me thinking about what a great homefield advantage RFK was. The stadium was constructed in such a way that really allowed the fans to have a significant impact on the game. And we'd really get into team's heads, not only mentally, but also physically. And I really loved how 'electric' the place could become during a big game. Here are two quotes that really reminded me:

"The stadium was unbelievable. Those stands were moving three feet ... up and down..."

-Joe Gibbs

"I felt the ground shake beneath my feet - literally."

- Joe Theismann

Sometimes, I wish we could have a 'throwback' stadium game -- and playing Dallas in there would be perfect. Romo & Co. never faced that kind of kind of environment; I don't think they'd hold up even well as their predecessors tried to do.

That anonymous Browns fan quote was great too!!

Mark, thanks for the great quotes! It really is an awesome rivalry.

That anonymous Browns fan quote was great too!!

Yeah - I love that Browns fan quote.

The thing about RFK is the roof. That's what made it so loud. Qwest works the same way. The sound has nowhere to go except back into the stadium.

JKC made an error constructing the new stadium the way he did.

"I think I love it so much because they talk so much trash, they think they run us. They think they own us. I'm ready. We take little things like that and it adds to our fire. Our fire will start out small, but by game time, it will be blazing and ready to go."

- Sean Taylor discussing the Redskins/Cowboys rivalry the day before the Redskins 35-7 blowout of Dallas.

Edited by WSHRedskins3ATLBraves3

"I think I love it so much because they talk so much trash, they think they run us. They think they own us. I'm ready. We take little things like that and it adds to our fire. Our fire will start out small, but by game time, it will be blazing and ready to go."

- Sean Taylor discussing the Redskins/Cowboys rivalry the day before the Redskins 35-7 blowout of Dallas.

I'm gonna add this to post #1. Thanks!
Mhm. I wish the players could somehow read those...and watch footage of older days, specifically the "WE WANT DALLAS" game to get them REALLY fired up.
Whatever was said at halftime during the Falcons game two weeks ago - that's the kind of emotion that can make things happen. Bugel told the players to "man up" and they did.

I agree there is something to be said for somehow drawing out the emotion of the players by tapping into the history of the rivalry.

George Allen died in 1990. Tom Landry died in 2000.

Wow, I thought he looked bad.

No really, you stunned me for a second, you are correct. I had to think. It was his retirement parade not his funeral parade. (or should I say, when he got dumped)

Jerry Jones dissed Tom Landry, a decent man by any measure who's only crime in life was being the coach of the Cowturds. More of a reason to hate you ...<staff edit>

Don't worry, he gets plenty of hate for that still.

Edited by Boys_n_Blue

I fixed it for ya, just because I'm a nice guy. :)

Thanks Mark, I was trying to put the text off to the right. It wouldn't let me. I can't do much. I have very few privileges, I'm lucky to have a pic. Y'all won't let me upload anything. I know I am the hated bottom feeder.....but Geeez...

Thanks Mark, I was trying to put the text off to the right. It wouldn't let me. I can't do much. I have very few privileges, I'm lucky to have a pic. Y'all won't let me upload anything. I know I am the hated bottom feeder.....but Geeez...

Yeah - Cowboys fans are not allowed to upload. Standard Operating Procedure at es.com. :)

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the quotes Mark, awesome!

This has to be my favorite:

"We're standing there for the national anthem. When it's over, Joe (Bugel) looks over to the other sideline at Ernie Stautner, who's the Cowboys defensive line coach. Joe yells over to him and flips him off."

-Joe Jacoby

Gotta love Buges!! :D

I don't have a quote to share, but this video gives me chills.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKCvtoFqWOQ

• 7 months later...

My three absolute favorite quotes:

"When you sign with Washington, you sign a contract to hate the Cowboys."

-Charles Mann

- Joe Theismann

"I wanted to just... put his lights out ....because, you know, ...Dallas sucks..."

- Dexter Manley, referring to Danny White whom he knocked out of the first half of the 1982 NFC Championship game.

"Got to hell!"

-Clint Murchison, 1958, to George Preston Marshall. The Redskins had been losing money for years and Marshall had initially agreed to sell the team to Murchison which would have moved the Redskins to Dallas. But Marshall changed the terms just before the deal was announced. Murchison eventually gave up trying to buy an established team for Dallas and began proposing the idea of an expansion team.

"Taking 'Hail To The Redskins' away from George Preston Marshall was like (taking) 'Dixie' ... from the South..."

-a Washington Post columnist, 1959. Murchison wanted an expansion team in Dallas which required an anonymous vote from the NFL owners, and Marshall was the lone holdout. Meanwhile, Redskins band leader Barnee Breeskin became disgruntled with Marshall. Breeskin was owner of the Redskins fight song since he had written the music - even though Marshall's wife had written the lyrics. To get revenge, Breeskin sold the song to Murchison for $2,500. Murchison then used the song as leverage to coax Marshall into agreeing to the Dallas expansion team.

"'Goog' made the difference. ...This one was it! Great for the team, the town, everybody!"

-George Preston Marshall, Oct. 9, 1960. 'Goog' was QB Ralph Gugliemi who had been promoted to starter because Washington lost their star QB Eddie LeBaron to the expansion Dallas Cowboys. LeBaron was lost because, since the new Cowboys franchise had missed out on the 1960 draft, NFL commissioner declared that Dallas would be allowed to choose three players from each of the 12 NFL teams, and Marshall had somehow forgotten to include LeBaron on the "protected" list. Ironically, LeBaron threw three interceptions in the Dallas loss. This win, 26-14, was Washington's only win of the season. Dallas would finish their first season winless.

"What's in there?"

-Redskins General Manager Dick McCann, Dec. 17, 1961, inquiring about what was in the wooden crates stashed in the baseball dugout near the Dallas bench before kickoff at the new DC Stadium. He was told by the CCC (Cowboys Chicken Club) agent "ice cream," and when McCann didn't believe it, the CCC agent, not realizing McCann was the GM, offered him a $100 bill to go away. The police were called, and the plan to unleash 76 (75 white and one black) chickens at midfield at half time during George Preston Marshall's extravagant Christmas show - complete with a dog pulled Santa sleigh - was foiled. The lone black chicken was to mock Marshall's recent trade agreement (under immense pressure from the Federal Government) trading his first overall pick in the 1962 draft (the draft was in the first week of December back then), Ernie Davis, with Cleveland, to acquire Washington's first black player, Bobby Mitchell. Washington was the last team in the league to integrate.

"It was one of the greatest quarterbacking exhibitions ever."

-Head Coach Bill McPeak, Nov. 28, 1965, after the Redskins, having been down 21-0, came back on Sonny Jurgensen's three touchdown passes and one touchdown QB sneak to beat the Cowboys 34-31.

"I'm thinking: The game is over. I mean, the game is over. We had lost. No question about that. No time. No timeouts."

-Mel Renfro, Nov. 13, 1966, after Dallas was faced with a first-and-ten at their own 3 yard line with only 1:30 left on the game clock. The score was 30-28 when Don Meredith took the offense and drove the Cowboys down field all the way to the Washington 12 yard line in a scant 71 seconds. And with 19 seconds left, Tom Landry ordered a Villanueva field goal. Cowboys win 31-30.

"Nobody gave us a chance, but we thought we could win if we played our game..."

-George Allen, Oct 3, 1971, after winning at the Cotton Bowl for the first time since 1967, score 20-16. The Redskins shocked the world by beating the defending NFC Champions who had won 9 of their previous 10 games over all and had only lost one of their previous sixteen games at Dallas going back three years. Washington improved to 3-0, making them the only unbeaten, untied team in the National Football League, while simultaneously crushing the reputations and the egos of the Dallas Cowboys. The Redskins were for real and a ten-year old rivalry was re-ignited. Thousands upon thousands of fans jammed Dulles International Airport that evening to welcome their heroes home.

"Now we bring down those goddamn Cowboys next!"

-George Allen, in the locker room just after beating the Green Bay Packers 16-3 in the 1972 divisional playoff.

"...So one time in a meeting during Dallas week, all of a sudden we heard a GONG, ... and here came George (Allen), who was wearing his karate garb .... The whole locker room went crazy. We were shouting, 'GEORGE, GEORGE, GEORGE...' It was electric. He talked about Dallas week and how he wanted to fly to Dallas and meet Tom Landry at midfield and fight him, and if he could beat Landry, we would win. ....Now he had these boards with him, and these other guys were holding the boards. He was going to break two boards with his hands, and two others with his feet, and if he could break those boards, we were going to beat Dallas. The place was going nuts, chanting, 'GEORGE, GEORGE, GEORGE!' Now he started to warm up and was making all kinds of noises and taking deep breaths. It was unbelievable. All of a sudden he screamed, came down, and broke the two boards with his hands and the other two with his feet, and the place went nuts! ..."

- Rusty Tillman, from Hail Victory: An Oral History of the Washington Redskins by Thom Loverro

"Forty men together can't lose!"

- George Allen, December 31st, 1972, just before the NFC Championship coin flip.

"We came to Washington thinking we'd just float by the Redskins, but they had something for us. They beat us soundly..."

- Mel Renfro, referring to the 1972 NFC Championship

"We were all on top of the world after that game."

- Ron McDole

"George Allen never used to say 'the Dallas Cowboys', it was always 'the goddamn Dallas Cowboys.' It's the Cowboys' uniform. It strikes hate and loathing in my mind, almost in a Pavlovian sense."

-John Wilbur

"Die you dogs. Die you Dallas dogs."

- Sam Wyche

"Roger Staubach can't read defenses and wears skirts..."

- Ron McDole to the press, when asked about what he thought of the Cowboys quarterback

"I picked him up and pushed him back... It wasn't a smooth play, it was a desperation play. It was such an eerie feeling when it happened. There wasn't any noise in the stadium for maybe three seconds. All of a sudden... the place went crazy! I had never seen anything like it."

-Ken Houston, commenting on undefeated Dallas' "4th and four on the four" play, and on stopping Walt Garrison at the one yard line with 24 seconds left in the Monday night game in October, 1973. Although the Cowboys dominated statistically, the Redskins won 14-7, and Dallas lost their first game of the season.

"The locker rooms are dank and dark and musty, and the one thing an athlete looks forward to after a game is a warm shower. And typically, it would start to snow at the end of the game there. It was real cold, you were beat up, and you were covered with green (paint from the field) and the black stuff under your eyes. So, you're beaten up, you go in the shower to wash off, and you're freezing to death, you want a hot shower, and it's a cold shower. So you try your best to wash the green off and the black stuff, but your hair is matted. And you fly back to Dallas on the charter covered with green, with dark smudges all under your eyes, and your hair still has grass in it and you had your tail beaten. Man, and the fans had thrown stuff on you on the way out."

Cliff Harris, describing the typical end of a game at RFK Stadium

"I mean, nothing but cold water. Damn Redskins. And you know they've got hot water. You know they're showering good."

-Harvey Martin. Billy Kilmer later confirmed that Allen had ordered Redskins Equipment manager Tom McVean to turn off the hot water leading to the visiting locker room when Dallas was in town.

"I wouldn't shake hands with him, but I shook hands with everyone else, just to irritate him..."

Diron Talbert, on when Talbert and Staubach gathered at midfield with the other captains before kickoff

"Any helicopter that came over (the practice field), the coaches would look up and say 'Damn, that's George Allen up there with a notebook.'"

-Walt Garrison

"If you knock Staubach out, you've got that rookie facing you. That's one of our goals."

- Diron Talbert (Staubach was knocked out in the 3rd quarter, Thanksgiving Day, 1974, with the Redskins leading 16-3 -- but the rookie, Clint Longley, came in to beat Washington, 24-23)

"Who in the hell is Longley???"

-Diron Talbert to the press after the game.

"Next time they'll have to kill me."

-Roger Staubach, when asked his thoughts of being targeted in a future Redskins game

"When you sign with Washington, you sign a contract to hate the Cowboys."

-Charles Mann

"I'm coming over you."

Billy Kilmer, Nov 2, 1975, to right guard Walt Sweeny in the huddle while calling a sneak at the one yard line in overtime, a play which hadn't been used all year and wasn't even in the playbook. Kilmer scored and the Redskins won, 30-24.

"Losing to Dallas was the worst feeling in the world. You'd rather have your arm cut off."

-Diron Talbert

"Tom Landry, hahahaha. Tex Schram, hahhaha. Roger Staubach, hahahha."

-George Allen to a television camera, after beating Dallas in Texas Stadium in 1976.

"He would call me Dulles or Berkeley."

-Dallas Hickman, rookie defensive end from the University of California - Berkeley, telling of how George Allen would never utter the word 'Dallas" out loud

"If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan."

-Jim Lachey

"If you came out of the (Dallas) game and you weren't bleeding, you hadn't played."

- Ken Houston

"We don't like them, they don't like us."

- Roger Staubach

"We were all pissed off. But you've got to understand, with the Cowboys and the Redskins playing each other, and the Redskins get up on you, why not kick a field goal? I'd do the same thing to them. Same thing. Get them down and keep beating them."

-Harvey Martin, commenting on the Nov 18, 1979 game when the Redskins were leading 31-20 and with the final 14 seconds ticking away called a time out so they could kick a 45-yard Mark Moseley field goal to win 34-20.

"Take this damn thing back to Washington with you!"

-Harvey Martin, Dec. 16, 1979, to the Redskins in the visiting post-game locker room while throwing a wreath in the middle of their prayer. The funeral style wreath was sent from a florist in Rockville, Maryland, to the Cowboys practice facility during the past week wishing "sympathy" for the impending loss. Although the Redskins jumped to a 17-0 lead and held a 13 point lead midway through the 4th quarter, the Cowboys came back and won 35-34 after two late 4th quarter touchdowns. Incredibly, at the same time, Chicago had beaten the lame duck Cardinals 42-6, just barely getting the NFC point spread differential needed to edge Washington out of the playoffs. Monte Coleman and Ted Fritsch openly wept on the field at Texas Stadium.

"We loved to play them. It was always the perfect setting - Monday Night, Thanksgiving Day, a 4 o'clock start, RFK. Those kinds of games still give me goose bumps."

- Ken Houston

"He would follow me after third downs. I'd turn around and he'd stand there on the hash mark and flip me the bird. And I was like 'Screw him,', he doesn't sign my paycheck."

-Mark May, describing the personal rivalry he had with Randy White

"Yeah, but only after he went for my knees three times."

-Jack Pardee, after being accused of trying to knee Dallas receiver Lance Alworth in the head.

"My front four will be faced with the task of beating the sweat-hogs. It's my belief that to be a defensive lineman, you have to have a personal hate for your opponent."

- Ernie Stautner, defensive coordinator, Dallas

"Be sure... you learn how to get to the airport, will you?"

- Tom Landry, Head Coach, Dallas, to his players prior to the 1982 NFC Championship game, implying he's had issues with his players making their flight on time in the past.

"Plain & Simple - WE HATE DALLAS"

- home made sign hung at RFK Stadium during the 1982 NFC Championship game.

"Joe Theismann is a garbage-mouth little SOB. He's such a hot dog that all he needs is a bun."

-John Dutton

"He's a hot dog and a showboat and I hate him."

-Randy White, referring to Joe Theismann

"It was like walking into a dungeon of thieves..."

- Danny White, commenting on entering RFK Stadium.

"This is 'DD Day.' That is, 'Defeat Dallas Today!'"

-Jack Kent Cooke, Jan. 22, 1983, just prior to kickoff of the NFC Championship

"That's the loudest the stadium's ever been. You could hear it in the locker room. 'We want Dallas! We want Dallas!' Everybody was pretty pumped up."

-Russ Grimm

"The stadium was unbelievable. Those stands were moving three feet ... up and down..."

-Joe Gibbs

- Joe Theismann

"We're standing there for the national anthem. When it's over, Joe (Bugel) looks over to the other sideline at Ernie Stautner, who's the Cowboys defensive line coach. Joe yells over to him and flips him off."

-Joe Jacoby

"I wanted to just... put his lights out ....because, you know, ...Dallas sucks..."

- Dexter Manley, referring to Danny White whom he knocked out of the first half of the 1982 NFC Championship game.

"TOUCHDOWN, WASHINGTON REDSKINS! I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!"

-Frank Herzog, live on WMAL radio, after Darryl Grant's 4th quarter interception return, giving the Redskins a 14 point lead

"Darryl Grant was an offensive guard last year - a second year man from Rice."

-Pat Summeral, immediately after defensive tackle Darryl Grant intercepted Hogeboom's pass and ran it in for the 4th quarter winning touchdown

"No. Fifty Gut."

-Russ Grimm, interrupting Theismann in the huddle with four minutes to play in the NFC Championship, in response to a Coach Gibbs playcall of "Spread Wide, Sixty Outside"

"Randy - it's coming at you."

-Russ Grimm to Randy White at the line of scrimmage a few seconds later

"I got to the line, and I said to Randy White, 'Our coaches love you. We're going to run it over you again and again.' Randy wasn't very happy, but after three or four times, he didn't say a word."

-Jeff Bostic

"Everyone in the huddle was laughing..."

-Don Warren in reference to running '50 Gut' nine times in a row right at Randy White.

"This had nothing to do with running the clock out. This was between Russ Grimm and Randy White. This was between the offensive line and Randy White. They wanted to bloody 'em, they wanted to beat 'em into the ground, they wanted to bury 'em."

-Joe Thiesmann

"They were so demoralized. They were so pissed. The officials had to drag them out of the locker room, they wouldn't come out."

-George Stark, referring to the final play of the 1982 NFC Championship after players had prematurely retired to the locker room with 12 seconds on the clock. This was the 3rd NFC Championship in a row Dallas had lost.

"We can accomplish miracles. We're not real talented, we're not real bright, but dammit, we're the NFC Champions!"

-Joe Theismann, during the post-game locker room interview

"This is controlled delirium. This is a coagulation, a community of interest here that is astonishing in its depth. All over this city. The rich, the poor. The black, the white. The communists, the socialists. The affluent, the unpossessed. All are bound together in this city on this day by these Redskins."

-Jack Kent Cooke, moments after the NFC Championship win against Dallas in January, 1983.

"Never a 'Skins fan. ... But still, I remember as a kid watching this and always comparing it ever since as the wildest scene I've seen for a game ... because they truly hated each other. That entire city was out for Dallas' blood. They chanted it all day long... Best sports scene ever...hands down. And I'm a Dawg Pound guy. No way Dallas was leaving there alive. Washington wanted them that bad. I'll just never forget an entire stadium calling out an opponent like that, telling them they're going to kick their asses, AND THEN DOING IT. Awesome, awesome stuff. "

-Anonymous Cleveland Browns Fan referring to the 1982 NFC Championship game

"The fact that we were going to the superbowl was basically anti-climatic. We had beat the team that EVERYBODY hated with a passion. That moment is the moment that stands out the most in my career as a football player."

-Joe Thiesmann

"It was probably the next morning before I knew where I was,... I must have gotten knocked out. ... I never did regain any memory of that game. From the trip up there, first quarter, second quarter, third or fourth."

-Danny White

"1982 will always be known as the season with an asterisk."

-Tom Landry, indirectly discounting the Redskins win of the world Championship because it was within a strike-shortened season

"If you wanted to be the best, you had to beat them up. ...You had to take the ball and ram it down their throats. (We) closed the door on the Doomsday Defense and opened the door for the Hogs."

-Mark May

"The one game that really gave us confidence in the 1980s was that NFC Championship game against Dallas."

-Jeff Bostic

"...There's many a time when I close my eyes and I picture myself still putting on those pads at old RFK Stadium, and those stands are rocking up and down and 50 some thousand chanting, 'WE WANT DALLAS!'"

-Russ Grimm, Aug 7, 2010, during his Hall of Fame acceptance speech in Canton, Ohio

"It showed our mindset. We honestly felt like we were going into battle."

-Neal Olkewicz, describing the team wearing battle fatigues and black combat boots as they arrived at Dallas International Airport on Dec 10, 1983, dominating the Dallas television news that night. The previous matchup, Redskins had squandered a 23-3 lead to lose 31-30. Redskins record at Dallas was 1-9 over the past ten years. Both teams were 12-2, and the #1 seed for the playoffs was on the line. The following afternoon, the Redskins dominated the game, winning 31-10.

"No, Danny! No!"

-Coach Tom Landry, in an uncharacteristically emotional moment, shouting from the sidelines to his QB Danny White, during a 4th and inches play. The Cowboys win-loss record at the time was 12-2, and Dallas victories, both in the regular season and the post-season, were routine for years. After it was obvious that the drawing the Redskins offsides ploy wasn't going to work, White was supposed to call a timeout. But instead, he continued the snap count, and the ball was snapped. The Cowboys lost yardage, the ball, and the game, December 11, 1983. The Cowboys went on to lose three in a row and were knocked out of the 1983 wild card round. That precise moment seemed to mark the end of an era of Tom Landry / Dallas Cowboys dominance in the league. Landry was fired by Jerry Jones in 1989. The Cowboys would not win a playoff game again until 1991.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JOE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUU..."

-the Texas Stadium crowd on Sept 9, 1985, singing to Joe Theismann on his 36th birthday, after he had thrown five interceptions in a 44-14 loss.

"...I just couldn't stand him. The man had done nothing to me. Nothing. But the minute he walked onto the field, I got pissed off, and I stayed that way the whole time. And thank God I've stopped drinking... because that night I was drinking a lot, and I was getting more and more worked up just looking at him. Seriously. I just hated him, and I hated the Redskins."

-Harvey Martin, discussing being honored during halftime at Superbowl XX, and having to share the honor with John Riggins

"There are three great things in life: Winning the lottery, having a baby, and beating the Cowboys..."

- Mark May, after a 41-14 route of Dallas in 1986.

"I'll never forget Joe Bugel telling Ed Rubbert (QB) in warmups to throw the ball at Ernie Stautner. Hit him in the shoulder. That showed me how much the Redskins hated the Cowboys."

-Mark Carlson, replacement player, 1987

"Randy got up and spit in my face and said 'You can't block me, kid'. And I said, 'Oh, yes I can!'"

-Darrick Brilz, replacement player, Oct 19, 1987, referring to nine-time pro bowler Randy White. The Redskins replacements won, somehow beating an undefeated veteran Dallas Cowboys team, 13-7.

"...Mikhail Gorbachev is here. Its kind of slowing things down. I wish he’d get the hell out of town. The Redskins – Cowboys game is bigger than what’s happening at the summit."

- Dexter Manley, 1987

"Joe and Ritchie maintained good composure on the sideline, but in the locker room, they were pretty angry. Everybody was looking around like 'What is happening? I don't know what's happening.' They were killing our defense. We were getting handled and it was a bad feeling."

-Charles Mann, Nov 5, 1989, at halftime, referring to the 0-8 Cowboys who were winning.

"They had a rag-tag team, so we walked in there thinking 'These guys can't beat anybody.'

-Darryl Grant, Nov 5, 1989. The Cowboys had not won a game all season, and yet they beat the Redskins at RFK Stadium, 13-3. The Cowboys finished the season with a 1-15 record, cementing their spot as the worst team in the league that year, and the worst record in Cowboys history since their expansion year, but they avoided a winless season thanks to the Redskins. The Redskins finished with a 10-6 record, but did not qualify for the playoffs.

"I saw the ball coming and thought 'It's mine!'"

-Alvin Harper, Nov 24, 1991, on grabbing Troy Aikman's hail mary pass in the endzone to end the first half. Cowboys (6-5) broke the Redskins (11-0) 11 game winning streak to win 24-21.

"They were easier to hate."

-Charles Mann, referring to Jimmy Johnson's new team of young, brash players

"If you really wanted something real badly, it was that opening game against Dallas. We wanted it for Ritchie (the new Head Coach). We wanted to show the world that the Redskins were still there. How do we show it? By going out there and thrashing the Cowboys. Everybody was extremely focused. We just systematically whipped their behinds. We went crazy in the locker room. We knocked them off their high horse.

-Charles Mann, Sept 6, 1993, after beating the Superbowl Champion Cowboys, 35-16, on the season opener with their new head coach Richie Petitbone

"This sparks us. This lights it up again between us and Washington. We owe them big time now. Forget the 49ers. The rematch of this game is the one we're going to point to as the biggest in the rest of our regular season."

- Nate Newton, Oct 1, 1995, after his undefeated Cowboys (4-0) lost to the Redskins (1-3). Dallas would win six of the next seven games while Washington lost six of their next seven. The Dallas Cowboys (10-2), so determined to avenge the loss earlier in the year, met the Redskins (3-9) at Texas Stadium on December 3rd, 1995. Redskins won again, 24-17.

"You just despised that team. It was genuine... I despise them even more now, because they are so flamboyant.

- Joe Jacoby, 1996

"Because of my position, I'm not supposed to think that way. But in the back of my mind, in my heart, I never want to see them win. It's just inbred in my blood since I was a Redskin. I bleed burgundy and gold. I will always have that in my soul - to hate the silver and blue."

- Mark May, TV network analyst, 1996

"I saw him and I thought 'Okay, here we go, right here at the airport..."

-Mark May, 1997, mentally preparing himself for a fistfight at the New Orleans Airport baggage claim, upon unexpectedly running into Randy White. White had made earlier comments to reporters that he couldn't stand May and would meet him anywhere to fight.

"...I don't remember it - when it happened. You know?"

-Troy Aikman, commenting on the November 2000 Lavar Arrington hit that caused the concussion that ended his game, his season, and his career.

"Dad, I just hate those Cowboys."

-Joe Jackson Gibbs, age 6, grandson of Joe Gibbs, tears streaming down his face while watching the game on TV, as Dallas scored a winning touchdown on a 39 yard pass with :30 seconds to play, on Dec 26, 2004.

"I know we don't have any Dallas people here — they are the ugliest people in the world."

- Joe Gibbs during Fan Appreciation Day, 2005.

"This is my moment, this is my chance to make a difference, and you know, I just went for the ball, I attacked it, and I went and got it, ... I was gonna catch that ball, regardless of what happens..."

- Santana Moss, referring to the first touchdown during the Monday Night Miracle vs Dallas in Sept, 2005.

"I remember uh,... Coach Byner coming to me, he say 'Hey - we goin' back atcha, get ready...'. To me, that was all I wanted to hear, you know. 'We goin' back atcha...'"

- Santana Moss, referring to what was said on the sidelines after the first TD catch

"One on one, that's all I want. I knew right then and there, I had him. I just ran a straight, you know, bee line post, man, you know, and it was on the money."

-Santana Moss, referring to his second TD pass

"This ****'s for the TRIO!",

-Santana Moss, to a video camera immediately after catching his 2nd TD pass at Texas Stadium in September, 2005. The trio he was referring to was Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith, and Michael Irving, who were being honored and included on the Ring of Fame at Texas Stadium that night.

"I mean, there wasn't a lot of hope for that one, yet we found out, you know, we found a way to win that game, AGAINST our rival, at their place, on Monday night, and uh, the locker room was just -- it was just unbelievable."

-Mark Brunell, Sept. 2005

"...one of the greatest moments for me in sports"

- Joe Gibbs after the game at Texas Stadium, September, 2005.

- Sean Taylor, Dec 17, 2005, discussing the Redskins/Cowboys rivalry the day before the Redskins 35-7 blowout of Dallas.

"The Redskins are kicking our teeth in."

-anonymous Dallas fan on the Dallas Cowboys' cowboyszone forum during the 35-7 blowout.

"PERSONAL FOUL - GRASPING THE FACEMASK - KICKING TEAM - NUMBER SIXTY THREE. FIFTEEN YARD PENALTY ADDED TO THE END OF THE RUN. THE GAME WILL BE EXTENDED BY ONE UNTIMED DOWN."

-Referee Terry McAulay, with :00 reading on the game clock, Nov 5, 2006

"The one person over there on our defense that you'd want to pick it up - got it... If I was going to put the ball in someone's hands, it would be his. He has an unusual way of making things happen."

-Joe Gibbs, referring to the Sean Taylor blocked kick return with :00 time left on Nov. 5, 2006

"My heart has stopped and I am dead.........”

-anonymous Dallas fan posting on cowboyzone.com just after Nick Novak's game winning field goal with :00 on the game clock

"We always seem to have these big, crazy endings. It's unbelievable."

- Renaldo Wynn, after beating Dallas with a Sean Taylor blocked kick runback and a Nick Novak field goal with zero time on the clock, Nov. 5, 2006

"Ever since I've been here, our games against Dallas have ... been wild."

-Jon Jansen, Nov. 5, 2006

"I'll tell you what - if you attend a Cowboy-Redskins game, you better not leave 'til that clock hits zero..."

-Joe Gibbs, Nov. 5, 2006

"**** Dallas"

- Chris Cooley, as autographed on one of his photos on his site

"These guys are done...we can do whatever we want now...",

- Tony Romo to a teammate on the bench, just after throwing a TD pass to Terrell Owens to open the second half and tie the game at 17 on Sept 28th, 2008 at Texas Stadium. Dallas would not score again until the final minute. Redskins won 26-24, knocking undefeated Dallas out of first place in the NFC East. The loss effectively kept the Cowboys out of the playoffs that year.

“... from what I understand, he’s a heck of a dancer. ...”

-Dan Snyder, in response to Emmit Smith's comment stating Snyder "was not a compassionate person."

"Any Cowboys fan that thinks the Redskins game is just another game is either very young or very stupid."

-Anonymous veteran Dallas fan

"Absolutely. I want to get a chance to put my helmet on whatever’s hurt. Romo’s ribs—I’m going to be asking for some corner blitzes."

-Deangelo Hall, September, 2011, during Dallas week when asked if he was planning to target Tony Romo's freshly broken rib.

"... pro football's greatest rivalry is raging once again."

-Pat Summerall, 1983

Note: The idea for this thread originated in 2005 when I saw six quotes on the back of a book cover. The book was titled AMERICA'S RIVALRY - The 20 greatest Redskins-Cowboys Games! by Mickey Spagnola, John Keim, DavId Elfin and Rick Snider. I typed out those quotes and added a few others and made a thread - and over the years I began adding to them. I've been collecting these one by one from various places and posting these once a year preceding a home Cowboys game. But after a recent google search, I was kind of amused to have noticed that these quotes have been copied and pasted on various other forums over the years, including a Cowboys forum:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS331&q=redskins+cowboys+%22all+he+needs+is+a+bun%22+-washingtonexaminer&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I liked the look of the post in thehogs.net, so I stole the gold formatting idea. :)

credits: various sources including America's Rivalry by Mickey Spagnola, John Keim, David Elfin and Rick Snider; Stadium Stories by John Keim; Hail Victory: An Oral History of the Washington Redskins by Thom Loverro; A History Of Washington's Team by Washington Post Books, The Redskins Encyclopedia by Michael Richman, and A History of the Washington Redskins (news clippings) by the New York Times; NFL Productions LLC; NFL Films; .

Edited by Mark The Homer