Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Additional Comments on "Upper" 200 Level Seats

xavmit

To add to what Mark the Homer previously stated in a previous post:

Actually Row 14 in section 221 & 222 is one of the new rows. It has diamond plate at your feet here and my tickets are labeled "Terrace Seating" with a pre tax cost of $79. I believe Row 13 is the last original pre 2004 row.

I have clear view but if you are near a pillar these could be limited view.

The only problem I have is that there is no visible time sign. The end zone screens have the time on the top and this is obscured by the club level. The only other time signs are on the ring below the upper level and this is also obscured. It would be nice to have a time/info sign on the 50 yard line on the ring below the club level.

How do you guys in the 200 level from row 14 - 2X keep track of the time in the game....or does anyone even care?

Mark the Homer's previous comments:

If you're buying in the 200 level, beware of dishonest sellers who are vague or misleading. If the auction is not clear, you should ask direct questions and expect clear answers.

The 200 level can be good seats, if you get in the first twelve rows or so. Starting at about Row 3, your seat is even covered in event of rain (ironically, it hasn't rained for one minute of regular season play since Snyder installed these covered seats). The pillars start at about Row 13. They are so big, they take up two rows. The total number of rows is now 23 or 24 depending on the section (it was 14 before 2004). The number of seats in each row in the sidelines sections is about 24-26. All pillars in the sidelines sections are exactly in the middle of those sections. So, if you can find out the seat number in an eBay auction, you can try to calculate where the pillar is located in relation to your seat and your view of the field.

If you're behind Row 14, the closer to the aisle you are, the more likely you'll have a clear view. As you move back, it's becomes more and more likely your view will be at least partially blocked by a pillar.

The other problem with the area is, even with a clear view of the field from the back, it's sort of like watching the game from inside a cave. It's dark in there. And from the last row, the overhang in front of you is so low, you can just barely see over the top of the cheerleaders heads on the opposite side of the field.

Yet, another problem with the area is that the incline is less. Normally, football stadiums increase the incline with height so that fans can see over the heads of people sitting in front of them. But Snyder actually decreased the incline after Row 14 so that he could install more rows without hitting the ceiling (the club level deck). This results in an increase in likelyhood that somebody's head will be blocking part of the playing field from the back rows.

After much confusion in 2004 and even in 2005, the Redskins have done a lot to resolve the problems by significantly lowering some of the prices, and printing phrases on certain tickets. The easiest way to avoid being misled when buying tickets in this area is to ask specifically about these phrases that are printed on the tickets. Here's a breakdown of 200 level seating, phrases, and prices as best I know as of the beginning of 2006:

Obstructed View - this phrase is printed on each obstructed view ticket, in the lower left corner above the large burgundy and gold number. It means a large portion of the field including a goal post is blocked by a pillar. There is a large variance of views within this category. Some views show 80% of the field. Some views show less than 50% of the field. The 2006 face value is $29, plus 10% tax.

Limited View - this phrase is printed on each limited view ticket, in the lower left corner above the large burgundy and gold number. It means it's possible a small corner of the endzone may be blocked by a pillar. You should be able to see two goal posts. This phrase also automatically applies to any ticket above Row 18 because of the oppressive overhang. The 2006 face value is $54, plus 10% tax.

Terrace Seating - this phrase is printed on tickets for most or perhaps all of the newly installed 200 level seats that do NOT include limited view or obstructed view. The phrase implies a clear view of the field from endzone to endzone in rows 15 - 17, although the scoreboard and jumbotrons are almost certainly blocked. The overhang is still a bit oppressive. The phrase is printed in the lower left corner above the large burgundy and gold number. The 2006 face value is $79, plus 10% tax.

There are color TVs mounted in the ceiling to provide video and game info for all the above seats. The confusing thing is, if you're watching live action, and the play moves to an obstructed area of the field forcing you to glance at the TV, the play on the TV is from the opposite side of the field so that the play on the screen is suddenly going in the opposite direction. "It's so annoying!" - quote from my daughter who sits in Obstructed View seats.

(no phrase) - the area is clean above the large burgundy and gold number in the lower left hand corner. It includes all the 100 level tickets, and all the original 200 level tickets; that is, tickets for seats in rows 1 - 14. The 2006 face value for these lower level seats is $99, plus 10% tax.

It's very possible you could purchase obstructed view or limited view tickets today, directly from the Redskins, even if you aren't on the waiting list. You can visit the stadium and see the seats in person before you buy. Call the Redskins ticket office at 301 276-6050 to inquire.

Yes Xavmit, everything you've stated about the upper 200 level (post 2004) is correct. I sit in 221 row 21, seats 11-12 in the middle of the row. The gameclock, and scoreboard are constantly featured on monitors which are visable from all of the obstructed/limited view seats in the 200 level. The game monitors are seperate from the scoreboard monitors and feature the same in house telecast that can be seen on the jumbotrons and all of the monitors on the concourses. One does have to mentally reverse the perspective when viewing replays on the monitors, as the tv cameras are on the opposit side of the field. For all of the bashing on the upper 200 level seating, I find it hard to complain about the $35 price tag per ticket. The price has been reduced from $79 in '04 to $49 in '05 to $29 in '06. However, the actual price with tax rounds up to $35 a ticket, not a bad deal. The same price I paid in RFK in 1992.

To add to what Mark the Homer previously stated in a previous post:

Actually Row 14 in section 221 & 222 is one of the new rows. It has diamond plate at your feet here and my tickets are labeled "Terrace Seating" with a pre tax cost of $79. I believe Row 13 is the last original pre 2004 row.

I have clear view but if you are near a pillar these could be limited view.

The only problem I have is that there is no visible time sign. The end zone screens have the time on the top and this is obscured by the club level. The only other time signs are on the ring below the upper level and this is also obscured. It would be nice to have a time/info sign on the 50 yard line on the ring below the club level.

How do you guys in the 200 level from row 14 - 2X keep track of the time in the game....or does anyone even care?

Thanks xavmit. I bought tix once from a guy in 200 something, corner section, row 14, and he said he was unhappy that they took the wall down behind him. He said before 2004 he had his back to the wall. Maybe it was different in your section, in midfield.

Actually, this makes sense now. JKC bragged that every seat in his stadium would have a clear view. You can sit in a back corner seat or endzone seat in Row 14 next to a pillar and see the whole field because of the more narrow field. Midfield or sidelines requires a wider view; hence, no row 14 and the wall behind Row 13.

Dont you have TV screens showing game info?

• 1 month later...

Some more comments:

Dummy me....I now see the time/information screen...it is in the center between sections 221 & 222 around row 13.

The seats in rows 14 and up, the new section, are actually narrower than rows 13 and below. This allows one extra seat per half section. For example, in row 13, in front of us there are 11 seats going from the 50 to the 45 yard line up to the pillar. In row 14 there are 12 seats.

It is really loud in the cave due to banging on metal covers of the plumbing pipes surrounding the back sides of the pillars.

Are you saying the width of the seats themselves are actually smaller, from arm rest to arm rest?

The numbers of seats in rows do increase naturally because the aisles expand outward, sort of like bicycle spokes. For example in the 100 level sidelines, the first rows have 21 seats, the last rows have 22 seats.

Yes, Mark, I am saying the seats are more narrow. Section 221 & 222 are in the straight part of the field...not much taper if any here. I had seats 5 & 6, section 222 row 14. Row 14, in my section goes from seat 1 to 12 while Row 13 goes from 1 to 11.

Archived