Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bugel raving about Harvey and Pino on NBC 4...

wilbur58z

Bugel was on with George Michael and Sonny Jurgensen this evening and he said Harvey and Pino are the real deal. He was positively gushing about these guys. I couldn't quite understand him because he was so excited, but he said something along the lines that they really played great last week, were promoted to 2nd string after the scrimmage, and then came out today and showed them they were the real deal. He didn't elaborate on that, but in listening to Samuels comments after practice today, I guess they faced the 1st team d-lineman today and did very well. That must have been what Bugel was talking about.

But Bugel then made an allusion to Jacoby and Bostic, both undrafted rookie free agents in 1981, when he said they've had great success with undrafted rookie players in the past. He didn't mention them by name but it was obvious that's who he was alluding to. I guess it says something when he brings up those guys in relation to Harvey and Pino, who happen to play the same positions as Bostic and Jacoby (although they're playing Harvey at right guard right now and not center like he was last week).

At the end he said Pino plays at 335 pounds and is a load to deal with.

Sounds promising because I distinctly remember him being pretty dour in his comments on Molinaro and Wilson back in 2004. But he was literally jumping out of his seat talking about Harvey and Pino tonight. I guess these two might be the players they hoped Molinaro and Wilson would be....

That's good to hear considering all the "No Depth At O-line" articles that have been flooding the media lately...

I agree, there are a lot of articles about the lack of depth at O-line. But look at most teams, there are very few good backups. It is so hard with the salary cap. I remember the pre-salry cap days, we had a whole second team that could start on most teams. Gibbs always knew the game was won and lost on the front line.

Both of these guys had limited college careers, Pino due to injury, and Harvey due to some undisclosed situation (academic maybe, or something else?). I love that Harvey played center in college, because we really need a next-gen center in the wings. Of course it goes without saying that we need a backup OT who can handle the left side, and Pino played there in college.

I agree, but the reality is these two are fighting for practice squad positions. Always great hearing coaches praises from otherwise unknowns!

Not so fast. Why can't these guys get a roster spot if they are better than the second string? It does not seem like such a reach to me considering Molinaro being injured and not playing that well.

Really hard to find info on these guys, but Harvey made the back end of a Yahoo! Sports guy's suggested best Day 2 picks, written after the first day:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jm-bestavailable042906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

12. Jasper Harvey, OL, San Diego State – The Aztecs' team captain started at both center and guard during his college career. His pro-day workout numbers would have ranked among the top three to five among centers at the combine. He has good footwork and displayed a real nasty streak at his postseason all-star games.

Not much on Pino, but it seems like he used to play at 340, but dropped a bunch of weight senior year. I guess Buges wants him to go back up in weight.

http://www.scorpionsportsgroup.com/clientele/pino_chris.php

Actually wait, I found an article on both of them.

http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WPN%2FMGArticle%2FWPN_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149189815712&path=!sports

Aztecs reunited in D.C.

By BYRON R. BARBOZA

bbarboza@potomacnews.com

Saturday, August 5, 2006

ASHBURN -- Offensive tackle Chris Pino received a pleasant surprise on his cellular voicemail during the second day of this year's NFL Draft.

His San Diego State University teammate, center Jasper Harvey, phoned to tell him that the Redskins invited him to their rookie camp.

After he listened to the message, an ecstatic Pino returned the call to inform his close friend about his post-college plans.

"I told him that's where I'm going too!" he exclaimed.

Washington assistant head coach-offense Joe Bugel, who guided the franchise's heralded "Hogs" offensive line from 1981-1989, summoned both undrafted free agents to rookie camp personally because he considered their agility and size ideal for the Redskins' blocking schemes.

Click on the link for the rest of the article.

with Molinaro having surgery, I don't think these guys are necessarily headed to the practice squad. they would not have been out there in the regular rotation the past week if they were 'backbenchers'.

the truth is, in the age of the salary cap, most clubs are counting on draft picks and rookie UDFAs for backup depth on their lines.

you don't see many teams able to trot out a 10 year veteran as a backup when someone goes down.

the Redskins have Walter and Pucillo as veteran backups, however, these younger guys may end up getting on the field in case of injuries to the starters over time because they just have more natural ability to play the game.

and in that case as in 1982 the coaching staff will alter the game calls somewhat to favor the run and short/intermediate passing game and perhaps be a bit less aggressive.

but that doesn't mean that Harvey or Pino may not be able to go in and play.

how many players have we seen over the years go into a game as an unknown reserve only to become significant contributors?

Anyone remember Raleigh McKenzie's debut year with the Skins? He was an #11 pick in 1985, an afterthought. And yet in a short time he became our top backup off the bench at 3 positions :)

Archived