Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

EXTREMESKINS TRAINING CAMP COVERAGE - DAY 3 (1AM Update)

JimmiJo

EXTREME COVERAGE: Redskins Training Camp

IMGP1488.JPG

DAY THREE - 8/2/06

PHOTOS

Click HERE to see Training Camp Day Three Pics #1

Click HERE to see Training Camp Day Three Pics #2

:helmet:

AUDIO

Click HERE to hear comments by Chris Cooley

Click HERE to hear comments by Khary Campbell

Click HERE to hear comments by Jesse Lumsden

Click HERE to hear comments by Santana Moss

Click HERE to hear comments by Pierson Prioleau

QUOTES

Click HERE to see Day Three quotes by Joe Salave'a

Click HERE to see Day Three quotes by Coach Joe Gibbs and Mark Brunell

Hey everybody, JimmiJo here, on the scene. Today will be a treat for me because fans will also be here. I'll be in a red shirt - I'm sure you will pick me out with the hundreds of people here today...not. I look forward to seeing my fellow ES'ers.

The media room is packed, more so than I've seen before. It's a good thing I am flying solo today because I don't think there is room for another to set up.

I hope to get some good pictures and interviews today. I'll be lurking for a bit here before we go down so if you have a question or comment then fire it up.

BTW - It's wicked hot!

Another good practice, but this one for me was much different than any other I've attended since Rookie Camp. The difference being the large and raucous crowd. At the start of practice it was still very hot, and just standing on the sidelines was enough to make one sweat. By 8PM it started to cool and became enjoyable.

The teams focused on different activities tonight as well. The field goal team spent a lot of time on the field with John Hall and Tyler Jones alternating kinking duties. Hall appeared to be the more accurate to me.

The receivers again did drills and you will see the photos I was able to get. There were a lot of spectacular catches, all of which brought oohs and aahs from the crowd.

I went and watched defense for a while, specifically the D-line. They were doing a convergence drill where one of the assistants would have the ball and three linemen would rush from about 10 yards away. The ball carrier would then either run side to side, fumble, or suddenly hold the ball up as if he was going to pass. The linemen are very quick for such large guys and they seemed to cut and turn in unison. When the ball went up as if to pass all shot their hands in the air at the same time to attempt the block. On fumbles the closest one there would go after it.

I watched the LBs for a time. They were a bit far for the camera but I got a few of them working on the blocking dummy.

It seemed that there were a lot of line drills for both O and D. At one put they had the D-line rushing around what appeared to be large plastic cones.

Both lines worked with one another for some time as the receivers drilled and 9-on-9 rushing plays went on.

After a while the 5-on-5, 7-on-7, 9-on-9, and 11-on-11s got going. All the receivers looked good today with the exception of Randle El, who dropped three passes that I thought he should have caught.

The QBs all looked good and you might hear about Brunell skipping a pass off the turf. Everyone was covered on the short route however and he was getting rid of it.

Play of the Day

Handoff to CP who then threw a would-be touchdown to #16 Richard Smith.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The runners looked good tonight with Rock, Betts and Lumsden getting the most work. Portis was in there of course but my sense is they know what he can do and are looking at the other guys. Nemo and Kerry Carter got some touches as well.

#35 Christian Morton had a couple of nice plays at CB, one of which was a pick of Jason Campbell. I think it was more of a bad throw then a great defensive play.

Quote of the Day

Because of the crowd noise I could not many good quotes. However, I got one that was simply priceless. Santana Moss ran a slant on the left side right in front of me. Brunell threw the ball and it skipped out of Moss’ hands high and should have been picked. A small child stood next to me. He couldn’t have been more than 10 years of age. After the play he yelled to Moss as he walked back to the huddle:

“Come on Santana you supposed to catch the ball. That’s why he threw it to you!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got pics and audio uploading. I was able to get some good interviews including the aforementioned Mr. Moss.

Note: There was one thing I forgot to share with you. The pace of the drills was extremely rapid today, clearly the fastest setting and hiking to date.

Everything is up and you will see and hear it soon. To all the fans (Correction: To all my FELLOW fans) who were out there, all I can say is you guys rock!

:logo:

Final thoughts - The defense went on a blitz spree and were effectively stopping the offense for a while during the 11-on-11. The persisted until Mike Espy caught a 40 yard TD. I saw a few plays where the D-line blew up the backfield. Conversely I saw some decent running plays. I've read a lot of your comments about the O-Line play and Rabach specifically.

I will speak out of school and tell you that the local press were not impressed with either Rabach or Molinaro.

I am done at camp until early next week. For those of you who count me lucky, you don't know the half of it. There is simply nothing cooler than being able to speak to coaches and players on this team and to watch them work up close.

You want to get motivated? Stand on the sidelines and watch Al Saunders do his job.

I love my work for ES!

You'll get them here soon I bet. Practice didn't end that long ago, ( maybe an hour so?), and then there's all the post practice stuff that goes on I'm sure. They've been good to update as soon as possible, ( the Redskins Blog has some updates in right now as well as the Fan's View thread), sure that won't change despite the time of night. Patience now.

You'll get them here soon I bet. Practice didn't end that long ago, ( maybe an hour so?), and then there's all the post practice stuff that goes on I'm sure. They've been good to update as soon as possible, ( the Redskins Blog has some updates in right now as well as the Fan's View thread), sure that won't change despite the time of night. Patience now.

WHAT? It ended an hour ago. That isn't enough time to upload and update? C'mon ES, get w/ the program. You have been given a privledge to inform the under privledge. That doesn't mean you can sit on your arse until you feel like updating. The Redskins Organization expects you to inform the fans from a fans point of view. Lets hear it. We don't want to wait for your earliest convenience..

:silly: Just kidding, forgot it was rescheduled to 7pm. Hope you had fun.

Just got back from TC day 3:

Here's a list of who stood out today both good and bad:

Good:

Randy Thomas, he dominated his defenders in the one on one drills even sending a few to the ground. Good to see him back and healthy.

Mike Espy, He was surprisingly the most consistent reciever today and even beat the defense deep for a TD. He would easily make the team if we weren't so deep at WR. Lloyd did well also. Moss had some nice catches but was inconsistent.

Portis, betts, rock, and lumsden all looked pretty good but Portis excited the crowd when he threw threw a TD pass today!

Anthony Montgomery, he manhandled his blockers in the one on one drills, he has great moves, is very powerful and explosive and should make the team. I'm excited about this guy.

Doughty and Archuleta, doughty was on the first team alongside archuleta and both of them were always in great position both against the run and pass.

Carter, you can tell he's excited about being back at DE. He exploded off the blocks and effectively got around his defender.

Brunell, definitley stood out as the starter, most consistent and accurate.

Al Suanders! Very enthusiastic and encouraging. Just a joy to watch! Buges was out there hustlin too, lol.

Bad:

Randle El and Taylor Jacobs, both dropped quite a few easy balls which caused moans from the fans.

Rabach, the guy got manhandled by just about every defender he went up against in the one on ones.

Other than that the rest of the team looked pretty solid

Campbell, He was way off on his throws. He consistently either under threw or overthrew his recievers and he even had and INT! However the kid has amazing zip on his throws.

NOTES:

Salavea was back in TC but he didnt have pads on he mainly watched and participated in the non contact drills.

My cousin got interviewed by redskins.com!, and he got autographs from Gibbs, Betts, Cartwright, and Jon Alston.

The offensive and defensive one on ones are AWESOME! you never realize how violent it is in the trenches, these guys were goin at it. A pure battle of power between on man and the other. You get a new respect for the battle in the trenches after watching these drills.

Portis, betts, rock, and lumsden all looked pretty good but Portis excited the crowd when he threw threw a TD pass today!

Good to hear Jesse is holding his weight....now he just needs to stand out a few times...can't till the Jets preseason game, that should be a good opportunity for him...

WHAT? It ended an hour ago. That isn't enough time to upload and update? C'mon ES, get w/ the program. You have been given a privledge to inform the under privledge. That doesn't mean you can sit on your arse until you feel like updating. The Redskins Organization expects you to inform the fans from a fans point of view. Lets hear it. We don't want to wait for your earliest convenience..

:silly: Just kidding, forgot it was rescheduled to 7pm. Hope you had fun.

:whew: Saw the just kidding part finally. ;) I hope they had fun too...

Lucky bastages. ;)

Id have to disagree on a few things about tonights practice... First, Campbell looked the best out of the QBs during drills and 7-on-7. However, during 11-on-11 Brunell looked the best, thoguh really, the defense got the best of them tonight. Second, Randle El and Jacobs didnt drop that many balls, a couple of their drops were pretty poorly thrown balls.

I agree on Thomas and Rabach, Thomas looked good in drills, Rabach did not lol. I didnt watch a whole lot of the line work, but the little bit I did, I saw enough to see that.

Question...Around the time practice started, the louder section of fans noticed an eagles fan up front, and heckled for a minute or two, was that Who Del by any chance? :-)

Just got back not to long ago from Redskins Park and, I want point out that Andre Carter is a freaking monster, he dominated every he went up against in one on ones.

EDIT: For anybody who has gone to training camp, how awful is that stoplight on Waxpool Road, it's red for 8 min and stays green for only 20 sec, extremely vexing.

Good to hear Jesse is holding his weight....now he just needs to stand out a few times...can't till the Jets preseason game, that should be a good opportunity for him...

Got back from TC about 1 hours ago, went to get some food afterwards and refill my tank. It was downright disgusting out there. The weight of this heat made it very difficult to breath.

The players came out around 6pm and continued to about quarter to 7. From what I saw tonight, the offensive line is definetly in need of work. Although Randy Thomas rocked today, manhandling the defense. Rabach looked terrible. Jansen had his thumbs taped up and he also looked decent.

Our recievers all looked fast off the line, especially Jacobs. Even though he dropped a number of balls thrown to him tonight. El was about the same as Jacobs. Moss and Lloyd both performed a higher levels than I anticipated. Sharp, clean routes and some great catches.

Qb's tonight...Collins really stood out for me. Powerful tosses and very accurate. Brunell had a better day IMO, and Cambell looked lost on a few plays. Not as accurate as yesterday. Maybe the sweat from the heat had alot to do with it.

Saw some drills with field goal defense and Hall booted some nice kicks in even though the pass rush was sustained tonight.

Defense tonight looked pretty damb good. Mac looked sharp, Taylor was again in great positions to make tackles. Prelou was in today. Looked focused on the field. Arch was running his ass off tonight with also good position for tackles. (Saw his wife there-HOT, no I mean she was ;) ).

A lot of Saunders today yelling and running but thats expected by now. Buges was also running around working with the defensive line. The two who really stood out on the defensive line tonight were definetly Montgomery, and Carter. Both man-handled the offensive line. Beautiful swim move technique by Carter, and Montgomery just bull rushed whom ever was in front of him with ease. I mean like a grown man bullying a kid.

Other than that there were a ton of people out there tonight considering how hot it was outside. Glad to see the support by our fans. Hope everyone gets a chance to come visit the field.

Peace, HTTR & TITY!!!

Archived