Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Portis Ready for the Challenge

bubba9497

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/01/AR2006080101364.html

click link for full article

Portis Ready for the Challenge

Redskins Looking For a Title Run

By Howard Bryant

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, August 2, 2006; E05

Having started a phenomenon just as the Washington Redskins grew interesting last season, running back Clinton Portis was followed during the offseason by the aliases that turned his weekly press conferences into a raucous sideshow. Whether it was Southeast Jerome, Dollar Bill or Sheriff Gonna Getcha, the appetite of his legions had been whetted and Portis, oddly, could not escape himself.

"Everywhere I went," he said yesterday after the second of two practices at Redskins Park. "I think I went to church and people were looking at me like, 'Where's your costume at?' I try to come thank God as me."

In addition to totaling a club-record 1,516 yards, Portis's creations gave the driving Redskins a funny, offbeat face last season. But with LaVar Arrington gone after six years of being the face of the franchise, Portis enters this season with another title. He is quite possibly the most recognizable and popular player.

As such, he spoke yesterday for the first time merely as Portis, multiple personalities aside for the moment, sporting a wrap on his right ankle after suffering a minor injury in the morning practice, and smarting more mentally than physically after absorbing the hardest hit of the day in the second practice. Portis took an inside handoff only to be drilled in the chest and decked by his close friend and University of Miami cohort Sean Taylor.

"I'll get him back tomorrow," Portis said. "Count on that."

As such, he spoke yesterday for the first time merely as Portis, multiple personalities aside for the moment, sporting a wrap on his right ankle after suffering a minor injury in the morning practice, and smarting more mentally than physically after absorbing the hardest hit of the day in the second practice. Portis took an inside handoff only to be drilled in the chest and decked by his close friend and University of Miami cohort Sean Taylor.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good article.

Before the sentence even got over I knew Taylor blasted him.

mhmmmm...no comment. :laugh:. Hope he knows that he has lost 10 or so pounds in the offseason. :silly:

Wait a minute. Taylor hit Portis in the chest and Portis hurt his ankle. ST is one bad dude. :cool:

Thanks for the article, Bubba. :cheers:

No doubt that for all the passing game talk we've gotten into here, Portis will be the center of the offense for Washington.

Like Gibbs, Saunders, in his OC heart and soul, prefers to lean on a strong rushing attack than a high-flying ariel game.

Unlike Gibbs, though, who prefered a one-back offense, Sauders seems to be planning a two-pronged attck. It will mainly feature Portis, but also have heavy doses of Betts to wreak havoc on defenses.

It will be interesting to see. :)

Also, for those that click on the link, don't forget to read the side-bar on the right hand side of the page. There are two good mini-articles there.

One about the "battle" for the WSLB spot between Holdman and McIntosh, and one about Buck Ortega, who's trying to make the team as a TE.

He did not say he lost considerable weight in the offseason, but offered a one-sentence appraisal of his conditioning by saying, "I look good, don't I?"

How can you not love that guy?

I never knew that Buck Ortega played LB at Miami at first, the fact that he was more of a blocking TE there until his senior year is more excusable with that factor.:applause:

bubba, you are fast. Do you just keep all of these sites open on your computer all day and constantly hit the refresh button or what?

He's the King of All Media for a reason.

On Mike and Mike in the Morning one of the replacement guys (forget his name at the moment) picked CP to have a "breakout year" despite the fact that he's already a star. He mentioned how Saunders turned an average running back in an average system (Priest Holmes) into a record-setter. While I don't agree that Holmes was in fact average, I still can't wait to see the results of Saunders' tweaking in addition to offensive line continuity.

On Mike and Mike in the Morning one of the replacement guys (forget his name at the moment) picked CP to have a "breakout year" despite the fact that he's already a star. He mentioned how Saunders turned an average running back in an average system (Priest Holmes) into a record-setter. While I don't agree that Holmes was in fact average, I still can't wait to see the results of Saunders' tweaking in addition to offensive line continuity.

Yeah, that was Eric Kuselias, he's loving the Skins this year. He said about a month or so ago that the Skins are the team he sees as being the most improved and possibly one of the most dangerous teams and the league, and said he's got "man-love" for Portis.

I love the chemistry on the team and think Portis is a big part of it. Everyone's happy to be here and has bought into the Redskins way, thanks to Gibbs.

GOD I can't wait for the scrimmage this weekend!:ravensuck

Archived