Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

See with your own eyes the Lebanon that I know

DCSKINZ80

It would be great if Lebanon were filled with rivers of chocalate, pixie stick houses, and lemon gum drops.

Unfortunately, reality is not as pleasant. Because THIS is also Lebanon.

And until DCskinz80 and his people rise up against Hezbollah- nothing will change.

young-hezbollah-01.jpg

You really know how to be an a**hole don't you. Half the people on this board have blinders on anyway, anytime something or someone tries to bring any positive out, you got to **** on it.

Best way to treat ignorant people is to simply ignore them.

I see you have Hernan Cattaneo pic in there - One of my favorite Dj's. Did Sasha and Digweed ever play over there? plus lebenese women are beautiful, I know a few in DC.

To answer your question, check out this section of an article that was written on 6/24/2006 in the english language DailyStar newspaper.

Rave culture finds a happy home in Beirut

BEIRUT: Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk, Paul Oakenfold, Armin Van Buuren, Seb Fontaine, Anthony Pappa, Nick Warren, Tall Paul, John Digweed. Yes, it may sound like a poll for the best DJ in the world. But no, it is in fact a list of just a few names who have hit the Lebanese nightlife scene in the past year alone.

Summer - typically the season when the most music comes to town - is still young. But since New Year's Eve, there have already been 13 events in and around Beirut that qualify more or less as raves. With plenty more lined up for the coming months - including George Acosta, Judge Jules and Van Dyk - and high-profile DJs returning to Lebanon at a steadier rate, it seems the country has bagged itself a seat on the global rave circuit.

The term "rave" dates back to the 1960s. It came into common usage in the 1980s to refer to all-night, DJ-driven dance parties, usually illegal and organized through word-of-mouth, which grew out of the acid house and trance scenes in Chicago, New York and London. The term fell out of favor in the 1990s, only to be picked up again by a younger generation, which refers to raves interchangeably with club nights, regular parties and other one-time events, even if they are sponsored by, say, corporate interests or cultural institutions.

Beirut was once renowned for its nightlife and Western-style decadence, attracting wealthy Arab playboys in the disco days of the 1970s. But 15 years of civil war made most DJs apprehensive about coming to Lebanon for another decade or so.

Now, however, word is spreading that Beirut is once again a place to play.

"I had a fantastic time with a great crowd," said John Digweed after he played an event in February at the Warehouse, Mkalles. "The production was fantastic. I can't wait to be back and play again."

John Askew - who is returning to Lebanon for a gig with Van Dyk on July 8 - started it all when he headlined the Monot Music Festival in June 2002. It remains one of his favorite nights.

"Beirut was nuts," he says. "There were all these really dressed-up, sexy, affluent-looking clubbers going crazy and yet in every direction you looked there were buildings riddled with bullet holes. [i was] a little apprehensive, but it's an amazing place. Mental. Wicked party scene."

But he hasn't been back in four years - why?

"You know, that is a question that needs to be answered by the promoters in Lebanon - not me," he replies. "I would gladly come back and play in Beirut every month if I had the chance!

"The last time I was with Paul, he told me that his gig in Beirut last year was his favorite gig of 2005. When Paul Van Dyk says that, you know it has to have been something pretty special. Carl Cox said his gig over there recently was absolutely incredible. To be honest, every single DJ that plays in Lebanon always talks about how amazing it is. There is a real buzz around the global community about Beirut and its dance scene."

"The DJs really like it here," confirms Naji Cherabieh, director of Radio One, which organizes numerous such events a year. "The crowd gets really into it. At the last two raves that we had I saw an atmosphere I've never seen before. At Marco V, we probably had 2,000 people in complete harmony with the DJ. He was even telling me that, and that he's rarely seen the crowd act this way."

To answer your question, check out this section of an article that was written on 6/24/2006 in the english language DailyStar newspaper.

That article is simply wicked. I'm downloading Sasha in beirut as I type this.,. Would have loved to be partying over there with those guys, those parties must have been insane.

Dammit...sad of what is going on right now. israels is not going to sopt till they distroy everything, and I bet no Dj's are going to be back there for a while

Nice to live in that little fantasy world isn't it DCskinz80?

Meanwhile, in the REAL world, Siniora and Aoun are siding with Nasrallah. The Lebanese "government" for six years refused to implement UN Resolution 1559. For 25 years Hezbollah has been arming, training, and readying for war under Iranian tutelage.

Let's cut the bs and discuss the truth of what has been happening and what needs to happen- rather than try to cover what you WISH were happening..

What the hell is your problem? Can't you read the first post and keep it clean for once?

Archived