Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Moment in Redskins History

RDSKNFN_48

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

January 7, 2004 THE DAY THE REDSKINS CAME BACK TO LIFE!

the date the owner, put his pride in his back pocket and hired the only man in america he cannot fire!!!

instant crediblity, went from the worst coach in the league (stevie wonder) to the BEST over night!!!!

John Riggins run in the Super Bowl our first Super Bowl victory gets my vote.

Mine too, even though I was only 10 yrs old and it was the VERY FIRST game I ever watched. It led us to our 1st Super Bowl Championship.

Now my personal favorite is the 4th down goal line stand against the vikings in the 87-88 NFC Championship...I have seriously watched it at least 400-500 times. I LOVE the roar of the crowd as the ball hits Darren Nelson in the chest then boinks out of bounds....there was a milisecond of silence then a huge ROAR!

The DG punt return a week earlier is one of my favorites too. In fact, when I was in high school I painted a 30X40 picture of him "cutting" which tore his rib cartilidge muscles.

GPM moving the team from Boston to DC would be first, but in terms of plays I'd have to go with Riggins in SB XVII followed closely by Grant's INT in the NFC Championship Game.

I like the plays you listed, but if it wasn't during a post season game, it cannot really be considered as the greatest moment for a team with 5 NFL Championships.

Hail,

H

SS wasn't fired. I could tell around November '03 that he didn't want to be here anymore. Can you believe it started at the beginning of the season when SS was ticked off because Dan Snyder suggested to SS who he wanted as the backup QB. I'd say that was the BEST meddling move in Snyder history. :applause:

I voted for "The Quarter", but an honorable mention goes to the NFC Championship game against Dallas where Ken Houston stopped Walt Garrison at the 1 foot line at the end of the game. I don't remember the year.

I hope I didn't mess up the details, I'm willing to be corrected if anyone else can recognize the game I'm describing. But the picture of the play in my mind and the excitement of the moment remembered make that one of my all time great Redskins moments.

Mine too, even though I was only 10 yrs old and it was the VERY FIRST game I ever watched. It led us to our 1st Super Bowl Championship.

Now my personal favorite is the 4th down goal line stand against the vikings in the 87-88 NFC Championship...I have seriously watched it at least 400-500 times. I LOVE the roar of the crowd as the ball hits Darren Nelson in the chest then boinks out of bounds....there was a milisecond of silence then a huge ROAR!

The DG punt return a week earlier is one of my favorites too. In fact, when I was in high school I painted a 30X40 picture of him "cutting" which tore his rib cartilidge muscles.

I <3 Youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x5PAd7sAHGE&search=Redskins%20Vikings

4TH DOWN STAND

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bdpY-UUSgko&search=Darrel%20Green%20Punt

DARREL GREEN

]']I <3 Youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x5PAd7sAHGE&search=Redskins%20Vikings

4TH DOWN STAND

I had actually never seen THAT footage before. I tpaed the game on VHS and just replayed it a million times.

I have seen it on youtube though just as it happened on the VHS copy I have...except the youtube is more clear...imagine a vhs tape almost 20 years old be played that mnay times.?

I selected 'Other.' While the Darryl Grant int return and Riggins run in the SB were great, it could be argued that neither would have happened had Dexter not sacked Danny White. The Skins were up 14-3 with under a minute left in the first half when the Cowboys were driving the ball and were around the Skins 30 yard line. Manley beat Pat Donovan and nailed Danny White almost full speed. White is out! Hogeboom, who had thrown less than 10 passes in his NFL career, is in the NFC Championship game. If Dexter doesn't knock Danny White out and they score to make it 14-10 at the half, the Cowboys gain momentum and who knows what happens after that specially considering how stingy their defense could be. But, Dexter does knock White out of the game, later tips a Hogeboom pass that Darryl Grant takes to the house, in the Superbowl Riggins breaks a takle for a 43-yard touchdown run to take a 21-17 lead on their way to the Redskins first Super Bowl victory. My votes goes to Dexter's sack of Danny White!

As the thread suggests, the most memorable is the Riggins run. It gives me goose bumps every time I watch it and hear Frank Herzog's voice as he calls it. But the most important would be the Darryl Grant INT. That put Gibbs and the team in line to make a run at 3 (almost 4) titles.

I had to go with the Riggins run as well. That is the one play that to me epitomizes what Redskins football is all about. Hardnosed, brash, in your face, shedding defenders like they were little children on the field. I kind of tear up just thinking about that. All of the plays listed were great, though. The Redskins have a history deeper than almost any other team in the NFL. Another candidate for greatest moment in 'Skins history...the return of Gibbs. Because of him, we actually have a fighting chance at a 4th Lombardi Trophy in '06. You gotta believe!

Archived