Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PI: Giants' Arrington has plenty to prove

arrowhead

Conducted the usual search before posting. I'm a bit of a hypocrit in that I can't stand all of the press Lavar gets, but when a columnist at the Philly Inquirer does a feature piece giving our favorite mouthpiece another crack at our organization, I think it bears posting, if for no other reason than to help folks realize what a real horse's arse LA was. If I don't hear a cavalcade of boos when he makes his return to FedEx, I'll be monumentally disappointed.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/columnists/david_aldridge/15149499.htm

By David Aldridge

Inquirer Columnist

ALBANY, N.Y. - On the first day of the rest of his career, LaVar Arrington was back with the starting defensive unit, just like always.

But he was wearing New York Giants blue, instead of Washington Redskins burgundy and gold. And he was sporting number 55, his old number 56 having been retired by the Giants in honor of some guy named Taylor.

Arrington didn't mind either change. You get the sense that he would have worn a dress if it got him back on the field.

"I don't know if you guys were really paying attention at practice today, but I'm involved," he said yesterday morning. "That might sound crazy, but I'm involved. I deserve to be involved. I've earned the right to be involved. And if I'm not involved, you have to look at a real reason why I'm not involved, and not all this B.S. that's been put out in the papers."

That refers to his last two tumultuous seasons in Washington, a 180-degree turn from his first four seasons there - during which time he made three Pro Bowl appearances and became the face of the Redskins' franchise.

Now, the 28-year-old Arrington is one of the league's biggest faces in new places. You get the feeling that it's either going to be feast or famine - he will either blow up in New York and push the Giants toward a Super Bowl, or he'll flame out dramatically, Larry Brown or Ed Whitson style.

To read the full article click on link above

Comon you ninnies ... Barry Wilburn is being Sarcastic. IMO Killa will flame out in NY EXCEPT when he plays against the SKINS.I see him blitzing Brunell and putting him out for the season. Campbell then then leads the Skins to the promised land.

Some skins fans need to recognize the turmoil that Lavar caused at the beginning of last season. His little crying sessions didnt help anyone and he didnt really make a difference when he played. I cant think of any big play last year that he made. I dont hate him he just needed to go. Hes no longer a redskins and if he wanted to be a redskin he would have taken a pay cut and knew his role. oh well.

Some skins fans need to recognize the turmoil that Lavar caused at the beginning of last season. His little crying sessions didnt help anyone and he didnt really make a difference when he played. I cant think of any big play last year that he made. I dont hate him he just needed to go. Hes no longer a redskins and if he wanted to be a redskin he would have taken a pay cut and knew his role. oh well.

Lets get the facts straight about what happened concerning Lavar and playing time at the beginning of last season. It was the fans and the media who were doing the crying about why Lavar was not playing. Especially with the left side of our defensive side getting run over by the likes of Tiki and Priest. In fact Lavar, when asked I might add by a local tv station, gave Warrick Holdman a compliment saying he was a "baller" which was laughable back then and even more so now that Holdman has admitted that he played last year out of shape. Then at halftime of a game, Howie Long (one of the most overrated first ballot hall of famers, IMHO) said sources had told him that the reason Lavar was not playing was that he refused to play special teams (later refuted by the coaching staff). It was only then the following Monday on the John Thompson radio show, when asked about Long's comments, did Lavar say that he was healthy, that he did not know why he was not playing and that the defensive coaching staff did not talk to him much becuase much of the practice the week leading up to games is devoted to the starters.

Then the coaches, some of who were openly disgusted about being questioned about Lavar (see Lindsey and Blache), started to double speak about packages and practice and health which only added to the confusion.

There was not one time where I recall Lavar speaking out or holding a news conference with his agent a la TO and saying he should be playing or he wanted a trade.

Not defending or bashing, just sticking to the facts.

There was not one time where I recall Lavar speaking out or holding a news conference with his agent a la TO and saying he should be playing or he wanted a trade.

Not defending or bashing, just sticking to the facts.

Boy you have a very short memory...What about the Washington Times article right before our playoff game with Tampa. If that didn't scream "me" than your drinking too much of Lavar's cool aid. He's an undercover TO, which is worse because he doesn't have the balls to be openly honest to the media about his me-ness (??word??)...At least you know were TO stands. Redskins for life baby:laugh:

Maggio,

go back and read the post I was addressing, it referenced turmoil that Lavar supposedly created at the beginning of the season about his lack of playing time. Last time I checked, the playoffs are not considered the beginning of the season.

Again not defending or bashing, just sticking to the facts.

Maggio,

go back and read the post I was addressing, it referenced turmoil that Lavar supposedly created at the beginning of the season about his lack of playing time. Last time I checked, the playoffs are not considered the beginning of the season.

Again not defending or bashing, just sticking to the facts.

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not very attractive.:cool:

I do agree Lavar kept mum until the media got hold of the story, which was 3 games into the season (Oct 3)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/03/AR2005100301853.html)

However, once he got his shot, he just went off on how he doesn't know why he's playing and such even though Gibbs had told him why many times (Oct 12th)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/12/AR2005101202284.html?nav=rss_sports/redskins.

This was 4 games into the season. I'm just reiterating your point but with a more accurate timeline. I see your reasoning that Lavar was a good soldier until the media and us fans starting asking questions, but honestly, what does that mean. I know its a fact, but what are you implyitng by pointing it out???

Archived