Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's Must See in DC ?

Mickalino

I'm returning to DC for just a weekend, along with a couple friends in September, and I need some direction.

It's been so long since I've wandered thru DC, that everything has changed too much for me to keep up with.

My friends want to see the touristy Smithsonian stuff - so tell me which Smithsonian is the Must See, if we're short on time - and are they open Saturday and Sundays ?? And anything else you'd recommend during the weekend would be appreciated.

It really all depends on what you would find interesting, there is just so much there.

Want something you haven't seen before? There has been a massive restoration project on the Patent Office Building for several years to integrate both the National Portrait Gallery and the Smithsonian American Art Museum under one roof. Smithsonian (the magazine) did a pair of stories on it last month and it looks phenomenal. Try this...

http://americanart.si.edu/reynolds_center/index.cfm

...and see if that looks interesting.

I'm returning to DC for just a weekend, along with a couple friends in September, and I need some direction.

It's been so long since I've wandered thru DC, that everything has changed too much for me to keep up with.

My friends want to see the touristy Smithsonian stuff - so tell me which Smithsonian is the Must See, if we're short on time - and are they open Saturday and Sundays ?? And anything else you'd recommend during the weekend would be appreciated.

I hear they're building a new Elvis museum in Dupont Circle.... It might be worth a look to see how that's going...might be kind of hard to find though. You may have to ask a lot of people for directions first.

:silly:

Go to Air / Space and do the flight sims they have. It's about the most fun you can have with your clothing on. Me and my daughter could have stayed on that thing all day. MOM wouldn't let us :(

We did the tram thing which worked out well. If your thinking of doing the washington momument, get you reservations first thing in the morning. They only let so many people up each day. The tram took us around all the popular sites, and out to Arlington. If you can, catch the changing of the guard at the toumb of the unknown. Very impressive........

What kind of stuff are they into?

A few thoughts ... put on your walking shoes and cover the following memorials Jefferson, Lincoln & Reflecting Pool, Vietnam, WW II, White House, Washington Monument, the Mall and Capitol is a must. I think the Marine Corps Memorial (Iwo Jima) is really cool too (take the tram). A walk around Arlington Cemetery to the Kennedy graves and eternal flame is certainly worth considering. If flight & space is your thing, better than the Mall is the Air & Space extension at Dulles.

If you can, catch the changing of the guard at the toumb of the unknown. Very impressive........

Yes, this is very impressive. Head over to Arlington Cemetary and check that out!

The natural history museum is closing and may be closed when you get here. So keep that in mind.

My favorite monument is the Jefferson Memorial. You can see it by renting a paddleboat and paddling around the tidal basin, which is fun - the faster you paddle, the slower you go!

Air & Space is a must. Natural History is great, but if it's closed, then the National Museum of American History would be my second choice.

cool, there's an overwhelming favorite, and recurring theme - air and space, it is !

Mick... there are actually two of them now.. There is the original one in DC, and now there is the extension in Dulles (not that far from redskins park). The new onw in dulles has some pretty cool stuff like the blackbird and the space shuttle. As for my favorite downtown, I have to say mine is the Natural History.

Archived