Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Champ Bailey

Smoot Point Really

Anyone else find it odd that Champ Bailey was bitter about being here and one of the reasons was he wasn't getting enough of a shot on offense? Has anyone seen his offensive stats in Denver? He has 1 catch for 11 yards in 2 seasons. I'm not bitter about losing him, but I'm just wondering what all the fuss was about.

Thats the first I'm hearing about him being bitter about the offensive shots. I mean I knew he wanted to play offense, but I thought it was more of a concern of where the franchise was headed. Also, he didn't like DC as a city too much, Denver is better :doh:???

I can't blame anyone that wanted out of Washington considering who was in charge and the losing culture we had around here. Different coach/system every year, whiners, primadonnas. I think Champ decided that if he wanted to be with a winning team he needed to get out.

Dan

I wonder if Champ woulda fit the scheme of our team better now. He is a headcase in Denver, and hasn't shut up about us while there, which pisses me off. However, at the time, it was either extend Lavar, or re-sign Champ. For some reason, we only could afford giving one a big contract (I say for some reason cause we went out and signed Griffin, Springs, Portis, Washington, and Brunell to huge contracts). I know Champ wanted a lot, and I am glad we got Portis.

What if Denver wanted Lavar though instead? I guess at the time Lavar was Mr. Redskin and Gibbs thought his chemistry issues would fit better. I think a big reason Champ left was that Lavar was paid instead of him. This complements our coaching carousel and instability. It probably would have been an outrage to see Lavar go two years ago compared to the relative quietness of his departure this past offseason.

Hindsight is 20/20, but just something to ponder. Lavar and a 2nd for Portis. Champ and Rogers protecting the backfield. Springs is good, but Champ is younger and just as good if not better.

Champ is the greatest cornerback who ever put on cleats. The only reason anyone has ever caught a pass against him was due to injury. Check the films. Any time a receiver makes a play against him he crumples to the ground and grabs his leg. One day someone will teach him that flopping isn't advantageous at the cornerback position.

Champ is the greatest cornerback who ever put on cleats. The only reason anyone has ever caught a pass against him was due to injury. Check the films. Any time a receiver makes a play against him he crumples to the ground and grabs his leg. One day someone will teach him that flopping isn't advantageous at the cornerback position.

Exactly, how many times did we see him cover someone perfectly, only to jump too late, have the reciever catch the ball and then score a TD because Champ went for the ball and missed instead of making the tackle. Then he puts his hands on his helmet and gives a look like some kind of miracle just happened for the other team. I've never watched a corner who was so talented, covered so well, but then screwed up at the end on so many plays.

Thats the first I'm hearing about him being bitter about the offensive shots. I mean I knew he wanted to play offense, but I thought it was more of a concern of where the franchise was headed. Also, he didn't like DC as a city too much, Denver is better :doh:???

A good friend of mines is also good friends w/ Champ and he really enjoyed DC (the city) but was happy to go to Denver. There's nothing negative you can really say about Denver because they've been pretty successfull over the last 10-15 years relative to regular season wins and superobowls.

It's funny that many players seem to come at a crossroads between Washington and Denver (i.e. Andre Carter, Courtney Brown, Champ, Portis) but I guess the same can be said about the Jets and the Giants:2cents:

I was about to very sacastically rip you a new one until I read the whole post.

He complains about pass interference almost as much as Shockey

which is sad comming from a "shut down" corner

Not sure why this was moved... Maybe it didn't fit here, but we're basically talking about the reasons Champ Bailey left and how ironic it is that he's had "less" exposure to the offense since leaving here and not more.

I was under the impression that his opportunities on offense were one of the reasons he was looking to go somewhere else (not the primary reason). Let me quote an article from the Denver Post:

==============================================================

After the Broncos made their pitch to Washington Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey, he made his pitch.

He lobbied to be used at wide receiver.

"I don't want to make it a secret about me wanting to play offense," Bailey said at Denver International Airport, just before he departed early Thursday morning.

Bailey made it abundantly clear that, in addition to manning one of Denver's corner positions should a proposed trade with Washington go through, he would like to moonlight at receiver.

Starting this season.

Asked how Broncos coach Mike Shanahan reacted to his request, Bailey smiled and said: "I won't give it away. I'll let him tell you what he said. But I'm telling you, I tell every coach I want to play there. I want to do it. If you've got a good investment, use it a lot before it wears out."

On the rare occasion Bailey has played receiver in the NFL, he has excelled. During the Redskins' 2000 season finale against Arizona, Bailey participated in eight offensive plays, caught two passes for 54 yards and rushed 7 yards for a touchdown. During the same game, on 53 defensive plays, Bailey intercepted a Cardinals pass and knocked down four others.

"That was just a little time on offense," Bailey said. "It wasn't enough."

==============================================================

Maybe I'm reading too much into this...

Archived