Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FoxSports - Ranking the O-line

GibbsFactor

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5794000

6. Washington Redskins

Washington's line, which finished fifth in the league in Adjusted Line Yards, is led by tackles Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen. Samuels rode a fundamentally sound season to the Pro Bowl on the left side and RT Jansen recovered nicely from an Achilles injury which kept him out of the entire 2004 season. Line coach Joe Bugel is credited by his players as a major factor in turning the Redskins' tide back to the days of the "Hogs," Washington's impenetrable line of the 1980s. These linemen are not yet at that level, but they've certainly pulled themselves up from the scattershot blocking which typified the Steve Spurrier era. Guards Derrick Dockery and Randy Thomas and center Casey Rabach fill out a unit that should keep Clinton Portis and all his alter egos happy and healthy in 2006.

benign enough article. the line had its ups and downs in 2005 and Portis did a lot on his own to bail out the offense in some games where the holes were simply not there.

but there were signature games like the second Dallas game where the line looked like one that could help take this team to a championship.

this is the year to fish or cut bait on Dockery. He will be looking for serious dollars from the club in his contract year and his performance will have to support those numbers :)

I believe his performance last season was pretty impressive, and so did KC Joyner. He had him #6 in overall efficiency at 91%

let's just hope that Thomas and Rabach are at 100% or close when they show up to camp. Thomas was hurt on the field in 2005 but Rabach, like Roethlisberger, was injured doing something stupid - taking risks riding his ATV in the offseason :doh:

If only these guys (Winslow Jr. included) could just pick up fishing or hunting or swimming or golf :laugh:

this is the year to fish or cut bait on Dockery. He will be looking for serious dollars from the club in his contract year and his performance will have to support those numbers :)

I know. That's why I want to see if he'll come up big. If he can't muster the effort for big bucks, we might as well go looking for a guard in the off season.

Conversely, if he comes up big, I don't mind paying folks that perform

let's just hope that Thomas and Rabach are at 100% or close when they show up to camp. Thomas was hurt on the field in 2005 but Rabach, like Roethlisberger, was injured doing something stupid - taking risks riding his ATV in the offseason :doh:

If only these guys (Winslow Jr. included) could just pick up fishing or hunting or swimming or golf :laugh:

But he wasn't out doing stupid stuff, he was supposedly doing yard work. He wasn't out "Winslowing".

With the Cards as the worst line in football, what kind of year do you guys expect Edge to have? Having Ftiz and Boldin keeping some men out of the box, I think Edge will have a good season, but i'm thinking sub-1500 for him this year and single didgit TD's.

the real question for James is durability. in fact that is the issue with Warner and Boldin as well.

I would not be surprised to see Leinart starting in Arizona by Week 7 or 8.

as far as James goes, if he stays healthy I think he will have room to run with the passing game.

the strange thing in Arizona is that Denny Green always stockpiled picks for OL in Minnesota but in AZ has not been able to rebuild this line to any level of capability.

until that happens the team won't be a playoff contender.

but I love some of the individual talent :)

I'd say the last half of the season the Skins where arguably the best OL in the league

With Rabach being in the systenm a full year, and Jansen's thumbs healthy, I expect big things from them

Yeah I'd have to say if I had to choose who would be the "weak link" to our OL I would choose the new guy, and since he is coming back for a 2nd year he can only get better.

I don't think any other squad takes longer to really gel than Olines, and it takes a ton of talent to make up for lack of gelling.

Big Dock is coming on strong, he still had some penalties but he also road grades like very few guards can. That man is one big porterhouse steak of a mac truck.

With Rabach being in the systenm a full year, and Jansen's thumbs healthy, I expect big things from them

Could you clarify if you are expecting big things from the Redskins or big things from Jansen's big thumbs? ;)

Agreed. He's a giant of a man, but blocks like he's 40 pounds lighter than he is. I have yet to see him physically dominate a D-lineman for an entire game, which is something that a man his size should be able to do. With his combination of size and mobility, he should be a great guard, but he's merely average which is a bit of a letdown.

Thomas was our best lineman last year, and it wasn't even close. If not for him our right side would have been like swiss cheese given that Jansen was not quite himself (understandable given his injuries).

If Thomas and Jansen return to form, and Samuels stays healthy (particularly his legs, which always seem to plague him and kill his mobility), then I like our chances. We don't need dominant play from Dockery or Rabach if the other three guys play like they can.

Rating in stars with 5 being the highest. More is better:

#67 Mr Raymond Brown Jr. retired last year, but deserves recognition in the highest praise and appreciation for all his hard work and talent to ever be remebered as a Redskin! Will be sincerly missed!

# 60 C. Samuels 7yr man (Alabama) **** needs to work his technique on those speed guys, Tampa Bay gave him problems. Requires coaching in fact Coach Buges is still working. Made Pro Bowl last year? Pro Bowls are nothing more than courting consensus. He's come a long way. Has problems stepping out (foot work) on obvious passing downs is most of the time ran around. Again speed guys gives him trouble. Huge up side as a ground grater creates push in red zone and gives us balance to run either side. Chris is okay just needs to work technique on the speed guys and he's a five star T.

# 61 C. Rabach 5th yr man (Wisconsin) I think *** but was with Baltimore in 04. Not yet the field general that he was brought in to be. Must first work blitz packages and DL scheme recognition hard. Brunnel helps out a lot and can check out/down and make the earned paly. But Ramsey and Rabach probably wouldn't have worked in this category. On ocassion has problems with the push in the redzone and will miss game situation and make mistakes/penalties ...San Diego comes to mind..and there other instances like Seattle. When I think of centers I think of the center from our Super Bowl days. Overall he needs to work harder especially in the film room with recognition.

# 62 M. Pucillo 4yr man (Auburn) no stars awarded haven't seen him play but hopefully he can add depth was with Cleveland.

# 67 K Lofuto R (Arizonia) 5th Rd I think. But no stars.

# 66 D. Dockery 4yr man (Texas) ***** got to go with 5 stars on this one solid guard and doesn't make a lot of mistakes...had a holding call against Philly at FEDEX nice hips low but, great technique for some one 6'6" 3+. Upside high energy guy doesn't quit and runs hard with the play, and all the way to the whistle. This was evident again when Philly was here and Cooley caught a pass inside there 30 was running inside the 20 and took a hit resulting in a fumble. But Dockery recovers and Clinton cleans up with a T.D. Dockery? Yeah he's a 5 star guard. ES don't mind me but I remember Redskin seasons and think about different stuff all the time even at work in briefings...changing diapers...Yellow 340! Yellow 50!

# 68 N Icheche spelling is way off (Northwestern) no stars haven't seen him

# 69 J. Molinaro 3yr man (Notre Dame) no stars, haven't seen much. Raymer got the nod over Molinaro when R Brown went down, out in Seattle, but got his lunch handed to him. Sorry Cory we still love you, but you just looked out of place.

# 71 E. Albright 12th yr man (UNC) ***** ah yesss he's smart, disciplined and can make the tough tackle down field, yeah I watch him. But he doesn't make a lot of mistakes which proves why he's been around so long. HIGHLY OVERATED, in caps and with flavor. We're fortunate to have him! Good. I'll say it again Albright carrys a 5 star rating, hands down. Thanks Albright-field goals will be crucial!

# 72 T. Walter 4yr man ("Theee" Ohio State) no stars haven't seen him. Was with Seattle last year. (By the way Ohio State will be in top 3, nationally, in both polls through-out season). Yes I'm a U. Miami fan.

# 74 J Alston F/A o yrs (Univ, South Carolinia) haven't seen him. No stars.

# 76 J. Jansen 7yr man (Michigan) *****ah yesss it's the big guy out of Clausen, Mi. Highly underrated, tough discipline, a quick study doesn't require a lot of coaching, seldom makes mistakes...sometimes has problems taking on the little man (CB) out in space but overall he's a 5 star T. Key ingredient? Jansen is tough, smart and knows, understands how to make adjustment in his technique based on game situation. He takes care of the speed guys, a ground grater who creates push in red zone. Doesn't require a lot of coaching ! Jansen's the total person and package. Actually based on his toughness he gets a bonus star ******!

# 77 R. Thomas 8th yr (Mississippi ST) ***** extremely tough, seldom makes mistakes as matter of fact he may have had one penalty all year. HIGHLY UNDERATED! Can trap some sh**. Smart and quick on the gut can get out in space make the tough block (CB). A ground grater who creates exceptional push in the red zone Coach Gibbs likes to run his number. Good foot movement and understands game situation to his benefit and works the help out block well....good vision and runs to the whistle/completes the play ,not a lot of standing around. He likes to peel opponents paint. He can take care of the best DTs in the league. His injury and R. Browns was one reason why we experienced problems in the playoffs?

What’s the skinny on OL overall? ***** Because we have enough leaders (Coaching Staff/ players) to make up for stress points and suspect weaknesses.

Side Bar:

Player/ Coaches we've added in our offense will enable ball the ball to come out on passing plays probably at a second faster. 5 to 7 yd plays will keep 1st and 2d level defenses guessing so extremely fast offense will help that will help.

Drawbacks a timing offence, if ball doesn't come out in time, its an incompletion or if receiver isn't where they should be its an interception. Study at skill positions must be tight in understanding this offense, I take that back skill positions must be too tight. Who fits? Everybody fits. You think Cooley may not fit, due to speed?

Well, Saunders will make him fit. My season prediction for how we’ll finish in 2006 is 19-0. Possible bumps in the road? Indy, but Coach Gibbs will take care of June and their "D". Why June? Well he went to Anacostia H.S. on 16th ST, S.E., Washington, D.C. What does that mean? Nothing.

Do I know what I'm talking about? No.

If the line stays healthy then it should be one of the best in the league. Dockery came along last year and I think he'll only improve this season. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that this could be the first time under JG2 that the line should be healthy and ready to go come game 1.

Archived