Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Williams v Carlos Rogers

SkinsTillIDie

Im very happy with Carlos Rogers. I'm really glad we picked him over Mike Williams because I think Rogers is gunna be great. At the time though, I thought we picked the wrong Rogers. I really wanted us to pick Aaron Rogers. (Good thing that didnt happen!) And last year (during the season) I thought we should have picked Shawne Merriman. But now that we've picked Rocky, I love the choice of Rogers. Great pick Skins!

I agree with one thought here.

I remember being at the draft day party at Fedex, and a lot of people (not just Terp fans) wanted Shawne Merriman. Me being one of them. I remember when we passed, I sat there and prayed that Dallas didn't take him. Would I have been happy with us taking Shawne and keeping Smoot, or signing a Andre Dyson? Yes

But, I like Carlos and think he's quality also. We didn't get a bust. Just not the best guy available.

I was absolutely thrilled with the way Carlos Rogers performed for us in 2005. He had a fantastic season for a rookie. He proved he can stick with nearly anyone, and that he's a very solid tackler.

If Carlos lives up to the potential he displayed last season, we're eventually going to have an elitist on our hands.

I agree with one thought here.

I remember being at the draft day party at Fedex, and a lot of people (not just Terp fans) wanted Shawne Merriman. Me being one of them. I remember when we passed, I sat there and prayed that Dallas didn't take him. Would I have been happy with us taking Shawne and keeping Smoot, or signing a Andre Dyson? Yes

But, I like Carlos and think he's quality also. We didn't get a bust. Just not the best guy available.

If it were not for LaVar Arrington, I am pretty sure that we would've picked Merriman. Even though we still had Arrington, they still brought him in for a workout and were seriously considering taking him.

One thing I am damn happy about is that the Cowboys picked Ware over Merriman. Ware is a good player and all but he is no Shawne Merriman. If you ask a Cowboy fan they are going to tell you that they made the right choice. Yea right!:laugh:

No question about it we needed to pick Rogers. However the way Detroit is coaching these stars who is to say that we don't get Mike Williams a couple of years from now like we got Lloyd from SF. This is why I love Gibbs man. Every move of his in the end makes sense.

Mike Williams has been something of a bust in the NFL. Is it his fault? We all have heard rummors that he doesn't practice well, he is overweight, he is not a good route runner etc etc. Well that is why the skins have the best coaching staff because talented players need a great coach to motivate them to practice, work on their game produce the best they can. That is why I think Lloyd will be a huge plus for us this year. Remember where was Moss on the Jets depth chart? I trully believe if Mike Williams was here with this coaching staff he would have a much bigger impact that he has had in Detroit so far. Having said that I wanted Rogers and I am very very glad we got him.

I remember how insane the hype was for Mike Williams, too. Future Pro-Bowler. Second best WR in the draft (only because Edwards was supposed to be the best WR ever available). The next Randy Moss. It was crazy what people were saying about the guy. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Clint

Ended up being the right pick, but wouldnt Shawne Merriman have been the right pick...

I still think he comes home to DC after his contract runs out?!?!

No way we were going to draft Merriman when we were still hoping Lavar would be Lavar, seeing as they are essentially the same player. Just seems Shawne shows up more often than Lavar.

The way Lavar throws pity parties he would have invited the whole NFL over his house for one if we drafted Shawne.

Carlos is golden though, as someone said his cover skills were so damn good for a rookie. Plus he hits like a sledgehammer, as a CB that is priceless.

I know Anquan Boldin remembers Carlos' hits. :laugh:

You can make this argument comparing players on the current Redskins roster compared to guys who probably would have been here if not for Joe Gibbs.

QB

Mark Brunell or Patrick Ramsey

Brunell has shown guts and leadership despite his skills physically declining he came back with a pro bowl caliber year. Ramsey can't even beat out noodle-arm Chad Pennington and rookie Kellen Clemens on the awful Jets.

WR

Santana Moss or Coles

Moss has a pro bowl season setting team single season receivng records for yardage. Coles is basically an undersized possesion receiver now because his toe problems have limited the burst he use to have.

TE

Chris Cooley or Kellen Winslow

Cooley has broken out into pro bowl quality TE, while Winslow because of his injuries has played in only 2 games in 2 years.

Shawn Springs, Lemar Marshall, Carlos Rogers, Rocky Mcintosh

or Champ Bailey, Antonio Pierce, Fred Smoot, Lavar Arrington

This isn't a matter of our current players being better, but of getting similiar production that suits the team needs at a much cheaper price and without whining over contracts, issues with injuries or Love Boat Scandals. Better team chemistry with our guys. I know the book is still out on Rocky or anybody as far as replacing Arrington, but consider the fact that the Defense excelled without for most of the games the last 2 years. Don't forget as far as Champ goes that we were able to use him to get Clinton Portis.

a good coach should motivate his players I agree, however we are talking about when you have already pushed yourself to the limits and feel you cant go on thats when a good coach inspires you to press on and be great. to be an elite athlete YOU MUST BE A SELF STARTER, you must have an undeniable urge to be great... i would rather have TO then mike williams, as much as i absolutely HATE TO at least he busts his ass to be the best possible he can be, now if he wasn't 6 years old mentally. as a coach myself the only thing you cant get out of a player is lazy. you can yell and scream and anything you want but you don't have time to babysit one player it isn't fair to the team mates that are busting their butts like they are suppose to. Lazy has destroyed more talent than any other cause. to me Mike Williams is a dead issue and thank god we didn't have to learn that by experience.

"fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son" dean wormer

I remember before the week before the draft that year I was having a debate with a couple of other people. I was saying pick up Carlos Rogers, we needed another CB and I rattled off the depth chart. Someone brought up if Mike Williams was available at 9, he thought we absolutely had to pick him up.

So when the Skins were on the clock, it was either Rogers or Williams. They all were yelling for Williams, and when Rogers was picked, they shouted NO!! I kinda sat there smiling. I felt we made the safe, smart pick. So far, it's worked out well.

carlos rogers is more of a safety, he has questionable speed, has w to play in a cover 2 scheme...

Rogers does NOT have questionable speed. See the following section from:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9244060

"...The Combine track will be fast, which is great for running good times. In 2005, 11 defensive backs ran their 40-yard dash in times of 4.40 and under. Of the 11, six ran for times of 4.35 and under. Of those six, Carlos Rogers (4.31) and Fabian Washington (4.31) moved up into the first round. Twenty-nine of the linebackers in attendance ran and completed the on-field drills. Derrick Johnson and Michael Boley both ran times of under 4.60. Players will run on a new FieldTurf this year, which Marvin Harrison and Dwight Freeney say is very fast..."

Dude has wheels, sound technique, and will develop into one of the league's best corners, IMO. I never quite understood why some are still enamored with Mike Williams. He's regressed from his college days, and he was slow then.

:logo:

Rogers does NOT have questionable speed. See the following section from:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9244060

"...The Combine track will be fast, which is great for running good times. In 2005, 11 defensive backs ran their 40-yard dash in times of 4.40 and under. Of the 11, six ran for times of 4.35 and under. Of those six, Carlos Rogers (4.31) and Fabian Washington (4.31) moved up into the first round. Twenty-nine of the linebackers in attendance ran and completed the on-field drills. Derrick Johnson and Michael Boley both ran times of under 4.60. Players will run on a new FieldTurf this year, which Marvin Harrison and Dwight Freeney say is very fast..."

Dude has wheels, sound technique, and will develop into one of the league's best corners, IMO. I never quite understood why some are still enamored with Mike Williams. He's regressed from his college days, and he was slow then.

:logo:

:applause: hey thanks for doing this, i knew the guy was wrong. :applause:

Archived