Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something often overlooked about Gibbs Super Bowl wins...

FunBunch7

It's widely know of course that Gibbs is the only coach to ever win 3 Super Bowls with 3 different starting QBs. But what is overlooked is that he did it with 3 different starting RB's, one of which was pressed in to the lineup as a back up (Timmy Smith)

SB 17 he had Theismann and Riggo

SB 22 he had Williams and Smith

SB 26 he had Rypien and Byner/Riggs

When you look at the coaches that have won multiple Super Bowls you see alot of constants...

Bill Walsh had Montana and Roger Craig

Bill Bellichick had Brady for all his

Parcells had Simms for both and Joe Morris for 1 and Otis Anderson for the other...

Chuck Knoll had Bradshaw and Franco for his 4...

Jimmie Johnson had Aikman and Emmitt for his 3, oh yeah, and Irvin...

The above coaches, although all great, had the luxery of great players returning to the big game time and again. Not to mention aton of Hall Of Famers.

I doubt Joe Theisman will ever get into the Hall of Fame, although I would love it! Riggo is in but that's it...you won't see Rypien, Doug, Timmy, Byner, or Riggs.

Just another staple on the greatness of Gibbs...

What gets me excited, is this current combo of players, might be every bit as good, if not better than his past stars...

Our best combo of the past has to be Theismann/Riggo/Fun Bunch

The Posse was there for Super Bowl 22 and 26...

But Brunell and Portis...I'd put them up against Theismann and Riggo...in talent, not in my heart.

Though that is a very interesting fact and is not to be looked down upon. However, I find it a lot more interesting and note worthy that he did win 3 SB's with 3 different QB's.

My reasoning is quite simple and that is because the QB is looked at as the conductor of the offense. His job, in short, is to run the offense and make sure that the plays are exectuted to perfection--the best way he can. Whether it be a simple pass play, 'selling the fake', or even knowing when to audible.

The QB holds a lot more weight in the offense and therefore, in my eyes, that is much more of a greater feat for the Coach.

note the hidden caveat, however. these SB wins were spaced 4-5 years apart. the mutiple winners with stable line-ups feautured multiple wins in shorter timeframes.

not berating JG's acomplishment......just pointing out the obvious: that something was going on in all the intervening years.

note the hidden caveat, however. these SB wins were spaced 4-5 years apart. the mutiple winners with stable line-ups feautured multiple wins in shorter timeframes.

not berating JG's acomplishment......just pointing out the obvious: that something was going on in all the intervening years.

I think the fact that they are spread out is even MORE of the accomplshment...

There was major rebuliding in beteewn all 3 Titles. After the back to back appearances in 17 and 18...we got bumped in the 2nd round vs the Bears after the 84 season...Joey T broke his leg in 85' and Schroeder filled in and we just missed th eplayoffs...then Schroeder and George Rogers and the beginning greatness of the Posse got us to within a game of the Super Bowl in 86, then there was the strike year of 87 when there was alot of "flux" and JG made the QB change in the season finale vs the Vikings and we went all the way.

After winning it in the 87' season...88' was a huge disappointent...we missed the playoffs again in 89, got back into the playoffs in 90' and when ape poop in 91'.

You could say Gibbs 1st tenure produced a Dynasty, but it actually resembles parts of 3 Dynasties to me. There was major reconstruction after each SB to get back to the next one.

That's definitely impressive as we all know...what I also find impressive is how he adapted to the players he had. We won our first Super Bowl with smashmouth football, and we won our last one with a potent passing game. The others you mentioned pretty much won with the same stlye - i.e. Walsh and the West Coast offense.

well, partially. Simms did take the Giants to a real nice start in 1990 (wasn't it like 8-0 or 9-1?) Hostetler came on for the playoffs with a veteran team that was already a high seed and with a coach that had won before.

A lot of quarterbacks could win with that situation.

Here in Washington Theismann and Rypien actually made the pro bowl and put up all-pro numbers in winning.

Given what Rypien brought to the table athletically as a rookie in 1986, the thought he could play a season and throw for 3,500 yards, 28 touchdowns and 11 interceptions would have been all but unthinkable at the time :)

It's widely know of course that Gibbs is the only coach to ever win 3 Super Bowls with 3 different starting QBs. But what is overlooked is that he did it with 3 different starting RB's, one of which was pressed in to the lineup as a back up (Timmy Smith)

to be more exact

he had only 5 players play in every superbowl

Monk, Jacoby, Grimm, Bostic, Warren

that's it

This whole thread is one of the reasons I give for allowing Art Monk into the SuperBowl. He's one of the only constants on all three teams, even if he didn't contribute mightily in any of the three victories... There really hasn't been another player who can boast 3 Super Bowl victories (4 trips) having three very different teams. Michael Irvin wouldn't have been the player he was without the other two triplets... Stallworth and Swann certainly wouldn't be in the Hall without Harris and Bradshaw...Only player coming close to the feat would be Jerry Rice, whose HoF credentials are possibly in doubt (sarc)...

When you look at the coaches that have won multiple Super Bowls you see alot of constants...

Bill Walsh had Montana and Roger Craig

Bill Bellichick had Brady for all his

Parcells had Simms for both and Joe Morris for 1 and Otis Anderson for the other...

Chuck Knoll had Bradshaw and Franco for his 4...

Jimmie Johnson had Aikman and Emmitt for his 3, oh yeah, and Irvin...

The above coaches, although all great, had the luxery of great players returning to the big game time and again. Not to mention aton of Hall Of Famers.

I doubt Joe Theisman will ever get into the Hall of Fame, although I would love it! Riggo is in but that's it...you won't see Rypien, Doug, Timmy, Byner, or Riggs.

Just another staple on the greatness of Gibbs...

What gets me excited, is this current combo of players, might be every bit as good, if not better than his past stars...

Our best combo of the past has to be Theismann/Riggo/Fun Bunch

The Posse was there for Super Bowl 22 and 26...

But Brunell and Portis...I'd put them up against Theismann and Riggo...in talent, not in my heart.

Most impressive is he only ever had one HOFer play for him and that was Riggins. That is amazing! You're right, other coaches who did what he has done had HOFs at MULTIPLE positions. That is the main reason I think he is the best coach in history.

Jimmie Johnson won two SBs with the Boys. The third was won by his replacement (and former DC) Barry Switzer.

As far as I know Barry Switzer has never been a defensive coordinator in the pros or college. He was an OC at OU at one point before assuming the head job there, but never a DC that I know of, and certainly not with Dallas at any point.

As far as I know Barry Switzer has never been a defensive coordinator in the pros or college. He was an OC at OU at one point before assuming the head job there, but never a DC that I know of, and certainly not with Dallas at any point.

I thought "DC" in this case meant "Delinquent Convict".

:laugh:

Sticking to the point, I would say that he is overlooked particularly because he did win it with three different QB and RB combos. I guess the one constant is Art Monk through out all those super bowl season. I am not saying that he was the reason that they won, but I would submit that he was a big part of the reason that they won three. I guess someone should mention that to the not so fine folks Sports Illustrated.

Archived